Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -
voting

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month For August 2012

featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for August 2012 (127 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for August 2012

1. John Deere 400 - Littledeere (11 votes [8.66%])

Percentage of vote: 8.66%

2. Sears Suburban 7 - Lauber1 (20 votes [15.75%])

Percentage of vote: 15.75%

3. Bolens HT20D - bhts (9 votes [7.09%])

Percentage of vote: 7.09%

4. Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger - whfan74 (46 votes [36.22%])

Percentage of vote: 36.22%

5. Bolens 1256 - OldBuzzard (16 votes [12.60%])

Percentage of vote: 12.60%

6. Case 220 - york0060 (4 votes [3.15%])

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

7. Craftsman II - larrybl (3 votes [2.36%])

Percentage of vote: 2.36%

8. Gravely Rotary Plow - HowardsMF155 (7 votes [5.51%])

Percentage of vote: 5.51%

9. Ford LGT 165 - KennyP (11 votes [8.66%])

Percentage of vote: 8.66%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of August 2012 has now officially started and will end the last day of July. The theme for this month is "Implements"

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of February and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 9 nominations this month, I have put them in the order the poll is so hopefully it makes it a little easier.
  • John Deere 400 - Littledeere
  • Sears Suburban 7 - Lauber1
  • Bolens HT20D - bhts
  • Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger - whfan74
  • Bolens 1256 - OldBuzzard
  • Case 220 - york0060
  • Craftsman II - larrybl
  • Gravely Rotary Plow - HowardsMF155
  • Ford LGT 165 - KennyP
Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well with some thinking about it my nomination for tractor of the month is my 1980 John Deere 400 with a Haban 532 flail mower.This flail came to me from an Ebay auction a few years ago, it listed a Haban flail model 532.The seller had no idea what it fit they had bought it at a auction along with some other lawn and garden things. They had listed under some of the different brands that you could buy Haban flails for, I saw the add it had gotten my attention because the flail was so large.So that started my research there was little information on Haban attachments, none I could find on the model 532.I saw others asking on the internet if anyone knew what this fit with no answers.The seller had also sent me some very good measurements, along with posting them on there auction I had two John Deere 400 mainly parts tractors. So I used the measurements they had sent me {I thought that these are so close it has to fit !} so I sat and watched the auction, could not believe my eyes that I was the winner.

With the purchase of my Haban flail I needed a working 400 tractor to put it on.A friend of mine had a 400 he was using to cut grass commercially as a fill in mower and had loaned it to a friend of his that later bought a zero turn.Win he got this 400 back he came to me looking for some parts for it, hearing he was going to sell the tractor I tried to buy it.He wanted a premium price for it so I sold him some parts and started to look for another tractor, 400's are not plentiful around here so I found no running tractors. Time pasted for a month or so and he needed some more parts, I learned he was going to take the 400 to auction I guess I could have taken a chance but we made a deal,l traded him a nice running LX255 to take to auction.Now I had a working tractor to mount my Haban 532 flail onto, I left the Haban it on it's shipping pallet until then.Pulled the 400 up to the pallet and with a groan or two and a pry bar the flail was mounted on a tractor for the first time in along time.I picked this to be my favorite implement because it seems to be rare and it draws some looks at shows most people around here have not seen a flail mower on a Garden Tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 400 Haban 532 flail 004.JPG
  • John Deere 400 Haban 532 flail 017.JPG
  • John Deere 400 Haban 532 flail 014.JPG
  • John Deere 400 Haban 532 flail 002.JPG

• olcowhand, CRFarnsworth, hatedge and 1 other said thanks

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 02:15 AM

Well out of lots of attachments for several differnt kinds of tractors, i find it hard to narrow it down to a favorite one. I decided to bend it a little and go with the coolest one. One of my quests in tractors was to collect as many differt models of early Sears Suburbans as i could find. These are the tractors build by David Bradley, which are basiclly 4 wheeled walkers on steriods. They have hand clutches, hand brakes, hand powered 3pts, forward or reverse only and if you have the time theres a hand operated vari-speed you can play with. Bradley build 21 models of them from 59 to 65, before the Roper units came out. Only one was produced with a wisconsin engine, so thats the one i'll enter today.

In 1961 the line offered up a Nugget gold tractor sporting a BKN of 7hp, interestingly enough called the Suburban 7. The model 917.60619, came out with recoil starting only, and gave you a horse and a quarter more power, than the other 3 units that year. I got this tractor from Ohio in the winter of 2007, and from southern IL, I picked up the hay rake(91760640) in the spring. I always liked to take at least one new thing to the TOTFS show in Kankakee each yr, so we ran it though the shop and it came out pretty good.

These dump rakes were acctually built to go with the 917.60639 sickel mower on the newer 725 tractor, but it looks great sitting behind an older model also. The rake is 63" wide, so you may not want to install it in a room with a 5' door(dont ask me how i figured that out, just trust me).It uses the same teeth as the full sized dump rakes, built for horse or big tractors, and its own frame work as a kind of 3pt hitch, with a hand powered (must have been a market back then for six armed people) lever to raise and lower it. You just have to make sure your wheels are far enough aprt and have about 3 other people help you hold on to get it mounted. Probally not a lot of home gardeners bought one of these rakes, and i think they'er a little small to do real hay work with, but they diffenantly have the cool look to them.

619+harrow2.jpg 61 hayrake.jpg

NOTE: if you look close you will see that there is no recoil on the tractor pictured. David Bradley only built tractors with recoil or electric starters, there were no rope winders, other than a back up pully on the EL powered ones. A year after i got this tractor done i found a complete NOS recoil for it. I still havent installed it, but at least i have the last part.
  • grand, olcowhand, CRFarnsworth and 4 others have said thanks

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:31 PM

I am going to nominate my 1981 bolens HT20D diesel with johnson loader and brantly backhoe. This was a 4 year hunt that paid off. The loader and the backhoe was found sitting on a Bolens HT20 in a field burried in the weeds. The loader had a broken arm on the frame which had to be rewelded and the backhoe had the cylinder for the mast bent into a C shape and had to be replaced. The tractor Itself was in such bad shape that it was beyound repair so i put them on a HT20 that i had.And was used for a while.

The bolens HT20D took about 2 years to locate the owner. It was sitting outside a house that was empty. I would drive by and could never find the owner so would leave notes on the door and make trips by to see if anyone would be there. This took alot of time but one day made a trip by and someone was there. After talking with him i found out that the tractor was his girlfrinds grandfather who had passed away. I asked if it was for sale and he said he would have to talk to here about it so i gave him my number. Well a few weeks went by and never heard from them so i guessed it was a bust and the hunt started again. After a few more weeks i got a call and a deal was made on it. When i went to pick it up i was told it had not run in several years and the rearend was out. Got it home and after a couple mins and some new fuel it fired right up. I noticed that the rearend was in neutral so after putting it in gear it was moving just fine.

Now the hunt is on for the next attachment to add to it. And in the mean time this will get some new paint and decals as the tractor is orginal and a worker so for now it will not get a restore.

s 003.JPG s 002.JPG s 001.JPG
  • olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks

#5 whfan74 OFFLINE  

whfan74
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9851
  • 117 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 01:02 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by whfan74, July 10, 2012 - 11:47 AM.

• grand, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well, I guess I'll toss another Bolens into the mix. This is my first Bolens 1256, AKA CloudBurst III.

The "Cloudburst" name comes from the fact that to date, EVERY tractor and/or attachment buying trip has been accompanied by rain. Seems like all I have to do is get ready to go pick up something GT related and the skies open up.

Anyway, last September I decided that I would like a Hydrostatic Bolens to use with my snowcaster in the coming winter. I saw a real nice one at the Wellington, OH tractor show, but the seller was asking a lot more than I was willing to part with.

I had rented a trailer to take my 800 and G10 to the show, and after we came back, I took a look on my local Craigslist and saw CB III advertised. It was listed at $650.00, which I thought was a bit high, but it did look good in the pics. I got the seller's address, and after unloading the 800 and G10, off we went to at least take a look at it.

When I was on the phone, the seller had also said that he had some "other stuff" for it that he would let go for an extra $150.00.

When we got there and I was looking at it, I noticed an odd bracket that was mounted in place of the rear hitch. The 1256 looked good, but ran a bit rough and surged some. I figured that it was needing a carb rebuild (turned out to be a VERY rusty gas tank) but I wasn't too put off by that, and told the seller, "Let's load it up, and how about showing me that "other stuff".

The "other stuff" turned out to be a Bolens badged E-Z Vac system (that's what the odd bracket was for) with the optional hand wand, and an Ohio Steel sleeve hitch for the tube frames. I dang near dislocated my shoulder reaching for my wallet!

So, CB III found a new home. I posted the saga over on the Bolens forum, plus posted some pics and took a short vid of the tractor/mower/vac at work in some heavy leaves. The vid is here:

Now, fast forward to 6/26/12. I was 'grazing' at eBay, and found one of the Holy Grails of Bolensdom. The E-Z Rake front mounted dethatcher, one of the very rare attachments.

It already had a couple of bids, but the 'Buy It Now' price was still showing. Rather than miss out on it, and not sure if it would go through, we hit the BIN button, and....it went through!

So, I'm now the owner, and it's mounted on the front of CB III with the E-Z Vac on the rear. I'll now be able to dethatch, mow, and pick up everything in one pass.

One other thing to note is that with the exception of a 'new' plastic gas tank in the 1256, everything else is in unrestored, unmolested condition! Gotta love the quality of the old GTs and the attachments that were made for them.

Now, without further ado, the pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4245.JPG
  • 100_4246.JPG
  • 100_4247.JPG
  • 100_4248.JPG
  • 100_4249.JPG
  • 100_4250.JPG
  • 100_4251.JPG

• olcowhand, middleageddeere, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#7 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'll stick my Case 220 with a Tiller attachment in the mix. Its not pretty but the Tiller sure chews up the ground. I was looking for a tiller and i was thinking about buying a new one...until i saw how much they were going for. I started looking on craigslist for used tillers and saw this Case 220 with a tiller, blade and mower deck for $500.00. it didn't run when i got it but i had a good feeling about it.
I called the guy about it and found it was about 3 hours away. My son just happed to be sick and at home that day, but felt good enough to go on a road trip with me. We had a great trip. I have used it on my garden for 2 years now and it sure beats a walk behind tiller. Its fast and makes short work of tilling my garden since it is 38" wide. And the biggest plus is that we sure enjoy all the fresh produce, and so do our neighbors.

Attached Thumbnails

• case 220 rear view.JPG
  • Case 220.JPG

#8 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi all, I think it will be hard to beat the "Lady Ranger" but I would like to introduce Hulk II.

Hulk II was a second Craftsman II that I had acquired (Yes there was a Hulk I) and I decided to go for a full restore. My Grandson helped a lot, and this project evolved into a string of projects including a spare engine and 38" blade (qualification for the implement category). Hulk II 917.255919 was purchased in May 2010 for $80.00 in non-running condition. The engine was full of water from being left outside, and no air filter cover. I immediately started a search for another 18HP B/S Horizontal. While searching, I purchased all new pistons 0.020 and valves, took the block in to be bored, and started rebuilding. No sooner than I get the original engine running, another shows up in Dallas for $50.00. Needless to say I grabbed it, and did a second order on all the rebuild parts and had it bored too.

I use Hulk II mainly for towing duties. After the deck was restored, I used it once to make sure it cut level, then cleaned the deck up and it has been hanging on the shop wall sense. We were trying to clear another acre of cactus and rock infected yard, and was not making very good head way, so I got the bright idea of inverting a tractor supply 4X5 trailer and throwing some blocks on it to make a drag harrow. Worked Great! and allowed me to break in the second engine.... For the non believersThis was with the second engine and improvised "Texas style" exhaust. I have sense obtained another OEM muffler and fuel pump. Figures after we finish the back acre I would find the 38" blade and Sleeve hitch.

Thanks for having me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hulk II 1.jpg
  • Hulk II 2.jpg
  • Scraping rust.JPG
  • Logan wrench.jpg

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:41 AM

I want to nominate my Gravely Rotary Plow. Pictures and write up pending......

I want to nominate my Gravely Rotary Plow as my favorite implement. The two wheel Gravely tractor was introduced sometime around 1937 and was produced with minor variations until the Gravely engine disappeared around 1976. Gravely Tractors are mated to the various implements by way of a 4 bolt mounting system. Although this system does not lend itself to speedy implement changes, the result is a sturdy bond between tractor and implement.
4 bolt mount and slotted adjuster.jpg

I'm not sure when the rotary plow was invented. Ben Gravely, the founder, had as his first product a motorized push plow, produced prior to the now classic 2 wheel tractor. At some point though, someone decided to apply the power of the engine directly to cutting a furrow in the dirt rather than using the wheels to drag the plow through the soil. The result was the rotary plow. Four roughly diamond shaped blades mounted on a hub, spinning on a hexagonal shaft driven by a shaft from the engine would scoop up dirt and throw it to one side. Each blade would scrape a small amount of dirt as the tractor advanced, pulverizing the soil, turning it over, and burying weeds and surface material. A neighbor of mine described the plow as a "router for dirt" after watching me plow a small garden for him.
Plow head.jpg
The rotary plow is my favorite implement because of it's versatility. When I need to plow the garden, I turn to the rotary plow for deep and thorough soil preparation. In my existing garden, it is easy to make a single pass up to 8 inches deep and leave the soil fluffy, level and prepared for planting. When a neighbor requests that existing sod be turned into a garden, the rotary plow is up to the job, ripping up the grass and burying it with dirt. At work, I once needed to bury 4 inch landscape drain pipe along the edge of an established line of bushes. The area was full of roots, but a few passes with the rotary plow quickly ripped up the roots and left a trench that needed minimal work to be ready for the pipe. I was talking to a real estate friend who sends a lot of business my way and learned he wanted some grading done in his yard to redirect drainage water. I brought the rotary plow over and by choosing which way the dirt was thrown was able to put a gentle ditch in his yard that kept rainwater away from the front of his house. Just yesterday, I used the plow to help improve a dirt road. That job involved plowing drainage furrows through young pine saplings and at least once I hit a root about 2 inches in diameter. I've used the rotary plow to dig holes to plant trees and shrubs. After I bought my first house, my wife wanted a fence installed. When our dirt was too hard (due to drought) for the post hole auger I rented to dig the holes correctly, I used the rotary plow to start the holes then filled them with water so that the auger would do it's job.
I purchased my plow from an elderly gentleman not far from me, in the days before the internet made these sorts of searches easy. As is often the case, I also had to buy another tractor to get the plow. I rebuilt the plow with new seals and found the extra long shaft for it. As the plow had no dirt shield, I made one out of material I had on hand, in this case a "Handicap" parking sign that no longer met current regulations. I also replaced the standard adjustment, which is slotted, with one which had separate holes drilled. This keeps the plow adjusted correctly even when it hits a large rock or root.
Old sign and modified adjuster.jpg
Not only is the plow by itself very versatile, there are actually ATTACHMENTS for the plow. One attachment turns the plow into a rotary cultivator.
Twin tool plow and cultivator.jpg Twin tools.jpg
I hope you have enjoyed reading about my plow as much as I have enjoyed using it over the years.

Edited by HowardsMF155, July 11, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I might as well join the frey!

My entry is my 1977 Ford LGT 165 and Dump Trailer! After using the trailer in it's original configuration, I was less than happy. It wouldn't dump for squat. Had to get a shovel to remove half the load or bounce it around the yard to empty it. So I studied things a bit and came up with a plan to build a better dump trailer. Using hydraulics would have been nice, but I chose to use a 3000 lb. HF hoist to lift this puppy. It is remote controlled, so all I had to do was install a 12 volt hook up on the back of the Ford.
I had 2 16.50X6.50-8 wheels looking for a home and proceeded to 'engineer a frame to handle this bed. I wanted to make sure it would dump everything, so 55 degrees became the angle it would lift to. I also wanted to be able to 'pile' the load, so the pivot point was put at the rear for plenty of ground clearance. I drew up some plans on DeltaCad so I could get an idea of how the lift was going to work and proceeded to cut and weld up the lift mechanism.
Once this was all put together, I wanted a tail gate that would latch and unlatch without having to get off the tractor or pull a lever. I studied many pics of dump truck tail gates and started fabrication. During this, I came upon the idea of a simple latch that does everything I wanted. It would be latched when in transport position, yet unlatch as the bed was lifted. I will be adding chains to this to control the amount of dump so I can spread the load if necessary.
Since it was a Ford accessory I was building, I chose Ford colors and decals. I am very happy with this attachment. It is plenty strong and dumps like a dream.
Image020.jpg Image019.jpg

Image010.jpg

For those of you new to GTTalk, here are the 2 build threads:
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/8148-here-i-go-again-dump-trailer-time/
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/13849-dump-trailer/
  • olcowhand, CRFarnsworth, hatedge and 2 others have said thanks

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Voting has begun :D

#12 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:18 AM

The time has come again for hard choices...

#13 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Well here we are again voting on all of the cool stuff that you guys have and I do not!!!!!!!!
Nice implenents fellas. And thanks for the history behind the finds!!

#14 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:54 PM

There really are some awesome GT's, and attachments! It was a tough choice, and all the entries are winners in my book. :thumbs:

Matt

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Another one of these, which one to choose? Hmmm...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, featured, tractor