28 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 01:59 PM

We always plant an early and late crop of lettuce and other greens. We have started planting late tomatoes because we have such a long growing season.

Your in a great place to plant a late, or is it really an early Garden. If I remeber correctly that famous Texas Swwet Onion the 1031 got it's name from the optimum planting time (October 31). I know a guy on another forum, who is planting his garden while most of us are in the DeepFreeze.

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 02:02 PM

I may plant some onions and try some potatoes this fall. I missed the planting time this spring for planting potatoes and didn't plant because I was worried about them burning up.

#18 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 10:02 PM

When your short on room in your garden , everthing is a matter of timing. I just planted my last planting of sweet corn where the early peas and string beans came out and another planting of string beans where the broccili and lettuce were. Unless you can irrigate , sometimes it's a matter of luck with moisture. I think alot of people forget to put the fertilizer to it for your second crop.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#19 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:10 AM

My potatoes, onions, peas, first beets, and first few lettuces are done. The Birdhouse gourds took over the vacated onion bed. I have a second crop of cucumbers, beets, and bush beans replacing some. I'll do some more beans, kohlrabi, broccoli, cucumbers, and zucchini where the potatoes were.

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Ok, some updating is in order. First up, here is the Watermelon (bush sugar baby) and cantelope I planted where my first planting of corn came from.
Watermelon.jpg
Now, over where the potatoes came in, I've planted some summer squash, a zucchini, that is coming in great! I'm trying to grow some peppers in the background, but they aren't doing well. I recently planted mustard, spinach, carrots, and crookneck squash in this area, none of it has come up yet.
0729121553a.jpg
Nolan wanted to do some tilling with the Gravely, so I let him till this area here.
Nolan tilling.jpg
We planted more sweet corn here, a yellow variety called Honey Select. The main point in it's favor is it's listed as 75 days to harvest, so hopefully it will come in before it is killed by cold weather. If I could have found more, we would have planted "Bilicious", which is a variety we tried this year for the first time. Very tender and sweet, we like it better than the Silver Queen this year. Also, it was the Silver Queen which germinated very poorly this year.

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:40 PM

My garden came in late. We are just now getting tomatoes that are red. The cucs came in a few weeks ago. Mostly my garden was a bust this year. I will Never use old seeds again.

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:13 PM

My garden came in late. We are just now getting tomatoes that are red. The cucs came in a few weeks ago. Mostly my garden was a bust this year. I will Never use old seeds again.

Sorry to hear about your seeds. I know Dad always had us plant sweet corn, three kernels every foot or so, so that at least one would come up. This year, even that wasn't enough for the silver queen. The silver King germinated well, but fell over about the time the tassels sprouted. The bilicious germinated well, pollinated well (even though it was SO HOT!) and just turned out well overall. My biggest disappointment this year was the Yukon Gold potatoes that rotted in the ground instead of sprouting.

#23 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Have never double cropped my garden, but it sounds like a great way to get the most out of your garden!

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Just wondering how everyone did on there 2nd crop ? I planted some potatoes mid July that seem to be doing well and a few weeks ago some lettuce , chard and spinich but none of that has amounted to much yet , heck you can hardly find the plants lol . Al

#25 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:04 AM

Will be picking the first mess of green beans today from the "double crop", turnips will be a while yet. ~~ Lowell
  • Alc said thank you

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,629 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:30 AM

My winter squash almost always is followed by pig weed and timothy! Is that what you mean???
  • Alc said thank you

#27 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I planted my canteloupe and watermelon, as well as some 80 day corn (Honey select) and some extra cucumbers. Bad news is some kind of blight hit the canteloupe, started on the cucumbers, and wiped out my wife's summer squash. The peppers have remained root bound and done nothing, and none of the mustard greens or carrots ever came up before the weeds took over. The corn is tasseling, so about another 3-4 weeks and we should another crop of corn. The watermelon is setting up, don't know how long it will be before that is ready.
  • Alc said thank you

#28 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Getting close now. The corn is nearly ready, I pulled a few ears and checked them, two weren't quite filled in, but the other one was. So, some careful screening in a few days, and I'll start getting this corn crop in. The watermelons seem unlikely to ripen before the cold slows them too much.
Corn.jpg
watermelon.jpg
  • Alc said thank you

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:43 PM

I tried out my new potato plow/middle buster on the second crop that was planted in July got a 5 gl pail had about 45' of second crop . I think if the weather wasn't so dry this summer it might have been more . Al

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0113.JPG
  • DSCN0115.JPG

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, replant, corn, seed