28 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:09 AM

I'm going to try and double crop my garden this year. I know farmers often do this, in fact there is a feild not far from me that was planted in wheat which has now been harvested and you can see corn coming up already. Usually I don't get started until the middle of April, but this year I started planting potatoes and corn around the middle of March. My first patch of corn was harvested by late June, so I cut it down and plowed up that area, then I decided to plant something I didn't have room for when first laying out the garden. I planted one short row of watermelon (Bush Sugar Baby) and one row of canteloupe, (Hearts of Gold). If I had been thinking ahead, I could have started the seed early and then transplanted; I would have been that many days closer to harvest. We should stay warm around here till late September, so I think I have a fair shot at getting some more goodies. I'll try to update.
I've also dug many potatoes, so I'm replanting that area with summer squash, which is coming on nicely. I transplanted some pepper plants, we've never had them in the garden either.

So tell me, who else has double cropped? What combinations did you use?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:36 AM

I planted a row of potatoes last night in the same spot where I dug potatoes up this week .It will be the first time I tried that with potatoes this early with hopes of having some late season ones . Al
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:06 AM

We are going to try it with peas this year. Almost impossible to get two grow seasons here, especially with corn, squash and melons. To short of days at the end.

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:08 AM

For the last 3 years after sweet corn was done we work the ground and plant turnips.That seems to work out well.We are usually pull turnips until the ground freezes.
  • Alc and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:29 AM

For the last 3 years after sweet corn was done we work the ground and plant turnips.That seems to work out well.We are usually pull turnips until the ground freezes.

I know parsnips, planted late will winter in sandy soil. Can dig them up in the spring & they're just fine.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Carrots are another one that you can harvest in November. We are so far behind you guys further south. Just getting blossoms on our potatoes now.

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have done this before, we have a long growing season. most of my garden is gone, these 100* days have killed it off.

#8 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:25 AM

I know parsnips, planted late will winter in sandy soil. Can dig them up in the spring & they're just fine.

Parsnips are never just fine!!! :puke2: :D

Seriously, I plant green beans after my peas & earlier beans every year. I plant in wide beds, when the first crop is done, I carry in the 10" tiller & rework the ground & plant. ~~ Lowell

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,933 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 01:00 PM

I am trying it for the first time this year. After the peas were over I put out green beans. The first planting of beans was a bust, so this is to try a different time of year.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Parsnips are never just fine!!!

You're just not cooking them right.
1/4" thick slices, cooked in butter until cooked but not mushy.
Salt, pepper, eat.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:05 PM

There certianly are a lot of things that can be planted for a fall garden. I was going to plant beans after the peas this year but'it's so dry I may pass. Any of the Cole Crops could be planted late so they produce in the fall months. I've brushed snow away to pick Brussel Sprouts before a hard freeze.
Last year for the first time, we planted Garlic & Shallots in early September and as late fall came on I mulched them.
They came on nicely this spring and were harvested a week ago. I'll for sure be doing that again this year.
My wife can cook! But I think if she could not use onions and garlic she would not know how?
  • HowardsMF155 and twostep have said thanks

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:34 AM

One quick tip, if your planting a fall gaden. Just determine how many days it takes to reach maturity. Determine when the average date is for a killing frost in your area. Then count back the days to determine you planting date.
The late garden offers advantages in that a lot of the pests that attack early crops are through their life cycle by the time you have the late crops up.

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 05:58 AM

Not really enough growing season here for double cropping...unless you count the massive number of weeds. I tend to spread out the planting of lettuce and radishes so they aren't all ready to eat at once though.

#14 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 06:20 AM

Yesterday, I pulled out the first planing of green beans, turned that bed and the adjoining pea bed under. Tilled them with the 10" tiller, mixing in a little 10-20-10 & replanted to "Jade" green beans. The watered the 24' square garden for 2-1/2 hours, giving it a little over 1" of water, every 4-5 days.

Later, I'll pull the second planting of beans & plant a few "Purple Top" turnips. ~~ Lowell

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 01:39 PM

We always plant an early and late crop of lettuce and other greens. We have started planting late tomatoes because we have such a long growing season.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, replant, corn, seed