• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel Dave OFFLINE  

Diesel Dave
  • Member No: 10520
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:07 AM

I joined up after found this place surfing around. I got used 160 last weekend. It not bad shape at all. Trying to sort some minor things out with it. Waiting on some bearings for the jack sheave right now. It runs moves perfectly no issues. Might need brake adjustment about all it needs. Main reason I got it read around seems like its a good older machine. I got the K46 blues with the Husqvarna I have so found this one on CL and picked it up.

I just have two questions. Is it possible to change the fluid in the transaxle or dont worry about it. It works perfectly. Should I shift it only when its stopped or can it be shifted while moving.

Edited by Diesel Dave, July 15, 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Welcome to the forum, Dave! Can't say that I have ever seen a 160. Quite a few JD fans on here to help with questions!

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'm in the same boat as kenny, can't help much with the tractor. Just wanted to say :welcometogttalk:

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:06 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Not sure on the transmission. I would stop to shift until you get a look at an owners manual or hear from someone who has experience with these mowers.

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:49 AM

A hearty welcome from me also.

About four years back I bought a JD 160 for three of my grandsons with the same Mom, hope that made sense. It didn't have a mower deck but the SIL picked one up this spring. They shift it on the fly and have not had any issues with doing so. I don't believe he has changed the transmission fluid since they had it. The oldest boy is 10 and has used it this summer to make a few bucks mowing the neighbor's lawns so it gets used..

Bill