Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Sears Gt 19.9 Transaxle Problems Plz Help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Evo26pm OFFLINE  

Evo26pm
  • Member No: 10519
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:28 AM

I have a sears gt 19.9 and I was plowing my garden when I hit a rock hard stopping the tractor dead. I thought maybe it kicked it out of gear but tried putting it back in by the hi & lo & 1st through rev. I have taking the transaxle completely out splitting the case didn't see nothing broke or ever shavings in the case (all the gears and everything inside looked excellent inside). I have checked the pulley on the side of the transaxle didn't break the key way. I put it all back together and tried it again also adjusting the belt and still nothing. I have seen in the manual that there is a pressure relief valve on the side of the transaxle could that have gone bad maybe? Plz any suggestions on this?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:13 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Evo26pm , I can't help you maybe some other member will be able to help you out , Al

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Do you have the full 917.--- model number of the tractor? It may help one of our members help you out.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Sorry to hear about your mishap and trans. problem. Not a Sears guy at all so can't offer specific advice. Since you talk about a relief valve I assume the tractor is hydrostatic drive. If you have a hydraulic implement lift is that still operating. If so that indicates that the charge pump is running. It still sounds to me like something has broken or stripped out somewhere allowing a shaft to turn freely without it's gears turning with it. Have you checked the axle key? Good luck sorting it out.

#5 Evo26pm OFFLINE  

Evo26pm
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. Sorry to hear about your mishap and trans. problem. Not a Sears guy at all so can't offer specific advice. Since you talk about a relief valve I assume the tractor is hydrostatic drive. If you have a hydraulic implement lift is that still operating. If so that indicates that the charge pump is running. It still sounds to me like something has broken or stripped out somewhere allowing a shaft to turn freely without it's gears turning with it. Have you checked the axle key? Good luck sorting it out.

It doesn't have a hydraulic 3 point. I wish it did that would be nice lol.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Without the model number, I've got to ask a few questions.

Hydrostatic or manual?

Engine shaft Vertical or horizontal?

Are the hubs held on the end shafts with snap clips?

Are the wheels held on the hubs with 5 bolts?

#7 Evo26pm OFFLINE  

Evo26pm
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Without the model number, I've got to ask a few questions.

Hydrostatic or manual?

Engine shaft Vertical or horizontal?

Are the hubs held on the end shafts with snap clips?

Are the wheels held on the hubs with 5 bolts?

The model number is 917.257082 it is a sears gt 19.9 with the b48g engine. It's a manual, vertical shaft, end shafts are held on by snap clips and it's 5 bolt
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:36 PM

OK, I looked at the exploded view. If I were you, I would put it up on blocks (not running), turn the left wheel by hand and see it the right turns opposite. Then get someone to apply some resistance to the right wheel and try again There are a lot of splines in there, but a couple that can be a problem are the hubs. The shaft or hub could be stripped on one side and allow the power to just go nowhere.

If all seems OK there, I would turn the input by hand with the wheels down and listen for noises or see if you can feel anything slipping. If you can, shift to the other range and see if it's different or the same. If different, odds are its in the final section, no difference, input end of things.

Honestly, if it's internal, I would try to find another unit with the same tranny and just swap it in. Much easier.

Posted Image

Sears site shows that as a horizontal engine, BTW.

#9 Evo26pm OFFLINE  

Evo26pm
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:43 PM

OK, I looked at the exploded view. If I were you, I would put it up on blocks (not running), turn the left wheel by hand and see it the right turns opposite. Then get someone to apply some resistance to the right wheel and try again There are a lot of splines in there, but a couple that can be a problem are the hubs. The shaft or hub could be stripped on one side and allow the power to just go nowhere.

If all seems OK there, I would turn the input by hand with the wheels down and listen for noises or see if you can feel anything slipping. If you can, shift to the other range and see if it's different or the same. If different, odds are its in the final section, no difference, input end of things.

Honestly, if it's internal, I would try to find another unit with the same tranny and just swap it in. Much easier.

Posted Image

Sears site shows that as a horizontal engine, BTW.

Ok thanks a lot I will try that and see.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:56 PM

If you end up needing a tranny, One of our site sponsors will probably have it. There are several on EBAY that should work as well.

#11 Evo26pm OFFLINE  

Evo26pm
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:29 PM

If you end up needing a tranny, One of our site sponsors will probably have it. There are several on EBAY that should work as well.

Ok kool, i seen one on eBay but it was for a suburban 12 which I guess it would work. How much for the one the site sponsor for one?

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:35 PM

Ok kool, i seen one on eBay but it was for a suburban 12 which I guess it would work. How much for the one the site sponsor for one?

Here is a list of our current sponsors. You can send each of them a PM and see if any have what you're looking for
http://gardentractor...-site-sponsors/
  • Evo26pm said thank you

#13 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 08:38 PM

If you need a rearend for the sears send me a pm as i have seveal here.
  • caseguy said thank you

#14 Evo26pm OFFLINE  

Evo26pm
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 08:56 PM

If you need a rearend for the sears send me a pm as i have seveal here.

Howmuch for a transaxle?