#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:04 PM

I've pulled bigger engines valves easily with my compresser and found the clips, etc. I can't seem to get the caps of these valves to pull down or together when I use presser on it. I can slip into just the spring and it will move, but caps just stay there. Look like lighter tinny ones, not the usual heavy metal. Do these just slide off, no clips? I can't seem to move them, but it is tight in there and I was tired and gave up for today. Guess I'll be pulling came out, just to be able to replace the PTO side main bearing in case. I've never pulled them before. Looks like maybe a clip and push inside? Thinking I will be needing a crank, might be bent, plus messed up from rod. Loose anyway, doesn't look that scarred or nothing. I think someone messed with it, tried to smooth for a new rod, which it looks like it has and new piston, then just threw it together thinking it will be ok. It did run, but had knocking at diff times of loads. Is a crank for these smaller engines hard to find? Doesn't need to be new one, just good one. This piston says it is .30 over. That must be about the limit then isn't it? Gonna take to shop and have him look at all the parts and see just what is gonna be saveable or not. Not looking to good to me.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:09 PM

What you need to get those valves out is a BFH!

I hope you can get the problems sorted out.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:02 AM

Do you have a copy of the K service manual. It may give you the low down on removing those.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:31 PM

Update! Got the keepers out, just had to tap down on valve some when spring squeezed, just kinda sticky or such. Valves look good really. Got cam out and the main bearing just knocked right out of block then. Hardest part was figureing out how to remove the governor. But got it and recalled doing that in past. Yes, I have a K model manual, but doesn't mean I've actually ever looked in it! Ha! but sad! Men don't need instructions you know. Got it all cleaned up and gonna take to my favorite shop in AM and see what he thinks he can do with it or give me suggestions. I see now the crank pin is not scored up, yet it has big offset like groove? to it. Weird to be that worn, but not really scored up. And I still think it is bent, which may have been it's real problem in first place.