#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Well, off for three weeks from work. Getting lots of shop time in just last two days! I think Shop Time is as good as Seat Time on a tractor. I had two GT snow blades blasted and now all painted up. One in red for the Speedex and other in Chevy engine orange, for the Power King. Look pretty good, maybe I'll get a pix or two. Seems odd working on winter stuff when it's 90's and dry. It did look like a storm coming today, but just rumbled on and went by. did sprinkle some later tho, real late.
I'm also working on the pink/purple Wheel horse. Have frame and front axle painted, going to start adding pieces back on soon, still have to clean up the rear and paint. Hope to get on four wheels again soon. Tore the 8hp K engine down today, not looking to good. Looks like brand new piston in it, marked .30 over but rod is all wobly at bottom. It even looks new really, probly the crank was just worn and they used anyway. I'm now wondering if crank is bent, seemed that way when removing and turning it. Trying to tear it down and take to shop and see if saveable or not. Might just have to skip the whole build and buy some little chinese junk motor being sold all over and be done. Probly cost more to build than buy one of those. It's not a correct WH, so who cares what runs it? Heck, get one with gas tank and one more issue I won't have to work with. We'll see!

#2 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Yep, shop time is good and I'm glad you're enjoying your time off from work. Don't think I would buy one of those rice burners if I could find something else, just rubs me the wrong way.

#3 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:50 PM

I enjoy my shop time as well, especially if I'm working on my hobbies. I just checked ebay, and there are a bunch of good crankshafts for Wheel Horse Kohler K181 listed there from $50-75. Or if your crank is still salvagable, you can get a .010 under rod. I run quite a few of those china clones on my kids off road buggies, and you can't beat them for the money, but I think if there was any way you could keep a Kohler in your Horse, you would be better off. :thumbs:

Matt

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:00 AM

Nothing like getting away from it all and digging into some projects in the shop. Enjoy your vacation!

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Nothing like getting away from it all and digging into some projects in the shop. Enjoy your vacation!

Unless of course you have spent over 45 years of your life working as a mechanic and over 20 of those on mowers and tractors. :rolleyes:

My vacation time is on Sundays when I refuse to open the shop door.

Bill
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:13 AM

glgrumpy...I would have to agree on the shop time aiding our addiction.

I have read many threads on the "rice burners" that one member called them, and many fellows have had really good luck with them.
Most use them on "non-workers" but they are happy with the dollars spent and the preformance they are getting.

By the way, many people have called my HONDA Gold Wings "rice burners", but not once have I been able to make them run on anything but gasoline! Also, up until 2010, the HONDA Gold Wing was built in (Maryville?) Ohio!

#7 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Unless of course you have spent over 45 years of your life working as a mechanic and over 20 of those on mowers and tractors. :rolleyes:

My vacation time is on Sundays when I refuse to open the shop door.

Bill

That brings back memories! My Dad was an auto mechanic for most of his life. Thats where I learned a lot of what I know. He took care of our cars and such, but there was an "acceptable" level of work needed before he would work on them on his time off. And never on Sundays....
But he always had time to come out and help me and show me how to do something on whatever I was working on when I was still a teen (many MANY years ago!)

Grumpy - as stated you can get an undersize rod to match your cleaned up crank. Or, if the rod is still good, you may be able to get it cut for bearing inserts to make it undersized (do a web search - I think Miller's web site or one of the CC sites talk about this as an option). Several ways around just trashing the motor.

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 11:40 PM

OK, gonna try to keep orig engine. Shop guy says crank is junk, and had never seeon one worn down out of round like that before. Didn't check for bent, said waste on junk crank. SO, got one off epay now and won't know what I have till it gets here. My rod was already .010 under, has some marks guy knew. I need to check new crank when in to see what rod I will be getting for that. Cross my fingers it is usable crank! Will order one of those rebuild kits after I know what is needed for sure. Gonna need .o30 over rings, don't need new piston, this one is like new. So guess will be a later issue for time being till it gets here.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 04:15 AM

Good luck with your engine. It is always a gamble when you purchase from Ebay.

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:39 AM

I like this thread. There are people on here who love their tractors, there's people on here who love their shop time, and there's people who love both. And there's room for all of them. I'm one of the ones who loves their shop (garage) time. There's no logical reason to do the things in there I do. I'd had been much better off in time and money to go to home depot and get a few things for the yard work and call it at that.

#11 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 09:42 AM

I also like shop time alot! Been doing a lot of sanding and painting on the garden tractors the last couple of weeks and it has been alot of fun!