29 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 10:48 AM

The Yukon Gold's vines died and I dug part of a row thursday night.
They were good quality potatoes, but yeild is not what I expected by about a third.
I'm laying that off to our unusually dry and hot weather in June and thus far into July.
I don't think they got enough rain at the right time?
The Red potatoes have been out of the ground for over a week and same story.
The Russets are in the late stages of growth and vines are starting to wither.,
Oddly enough The Kennebec's are still in bloom.

#2 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 01:02 PM

Sounds like you really like potatoes! I like to plant the little red pontiac potatoes, although I did not plant any this year. They are so tasty! Good luck with the rest of your harvest!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 02:25 PM

We plant a lot of potatoes percentage wise at least in our small garden. About half the garden in fact. We are just starting to get a few blossoms now. I like the red pontiac's as well. Smallish but very tasty and seem to keep well.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Oddly enough while I like to eat potatoes, I really prefer rice. However potatoes in my opinion with their convoluted leaves are one of the prettiest plants in a garden. I enjoy growing them and never have any problem giving them to family and friends.
The Red Pontiac and Kennebec have always been the standard potato grown around here.
The wife and I had almost decided not to grow the Red Pontiac, because more and more we prefer the Yukon Gold.
But the Pontiac was what we remembered being so good creamed with Peas so had to grow a few.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 07:35 PM

I enjoy the Yukon Gold too . I don't plant too much , 2 lb of what ever the local farm store has I think this year it was 6 different ones but past over the russets , family doesn't care for them too much . Did you notice any difference it the size this year or just the overall amount ? Thanks Al

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yes size has been a bit smaller and I'm only getting about two good taters per plant.
The wife has just been buying seed at the grocery store. I think next year I'll go to the farm store.
  • Alc said thank you

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,522 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 09:54 PM

That is quite a variety of taters you have. We never got into trying different ones for flavor. That sounds interesting to me, I usually grab the first bag of seed I find. My vines died off early this year I thought, wonder if it was from the weather. I got a few plants dug this week, a handful of little potatoes per plant. Not what I was hoping for, but the garden is more for fresh eating than year round food.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 03:45 PM

That is quite a variety of taters you have. We never got into trying different ones for flavor. That sounds interesting to me, I usually grab the first bag of seed I find. My vines died off early this year I thought, wonder if it was from the weather. I got a few plants dug this week, a handful of little potatoes per plant. Not what I was hoping for, but the garden is more for fresh eating than year round food.

Yes there is a lot of difference in the flavour of potatoe varieties. There are many I would like to try.
Besides that I like to plant many varieties that mature at different times.
Digging all the potatoes I plant at one time would be too much work and would take the fun out of the hobby.

My mother has said my grandfather would plant 3 acres of potatoes in the lat 40's, can you imagine how much work thqatwould be?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 15, 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:59 AM

Did they plant and harvest 3 acres by hand and by themselves ? My Mom told me a few time when she was young ,she , my aunt and her granmother would go to a potato farm to earn money picking pototoes . Said that was such a hard / hot job . I wish she would have remembered what the pay was , Al

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 02:15 PM

I don't remember her saying Al. I do know she had to help pick them up. I'm guessing that at that time there were old planters and digging machines around This would have been in the 40's( I think Dad said Grampa had a Farmall F20). But you would still have to pick them up. Before the potato production moved to the Western Plains and Idaho being the most recognized. Iowa was a leader in potato production most of which was shipped by rail to Chicago for distribution. And one of the better know manufactures of potato plows and sorting equipment(Dowden MFG.) was in this county in Prarie City,Iowa about 14 miles from my house.

I know Red Rock Manufaturing(in Pella,Ia) holds the Dowden foot Feet patend for foot feet throttle control on N Fords yet and still makes and sells them..

All right I've shamelessly stole some copy off the Red Rock MFC site about Dowden.

History

The Dowden Manufacturing Company was started by Ashford Dowden in 1887 in Prairie City, Iowa, located just east of Des Moines. They were a very self sufficient company, having their own foundry, paint line, shipping, etc. All their production machinery was powered by steam power originally. They produced a number of items , but were best known for the potato digger. Ashford Dowden received a patent for his potato digger in 1885, and decided to start Dowden manufacturing in Prairie City, since at that time Prairie City was one of largest potato shipping centers in the U.S. The Dowden potato digger was soon known as the foremost potato digger in the country. Because of their success, they soon started building potato sorters and potato seed cutters also. By the 1940's, potato production had moved west to Montana and Idaho, and Dowden manufacturing started producing other types of machinery. This included wagons, wagon hoists, silage blowers, and of course, the foot feed for the Ford tractors.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 16, 2012 - 02:47 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:37 PM

I needed to see what one looked like ,here's one I found . you never know how big a garden I'll have next year lol , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• Dowden-Potato-Digger.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I needed to see what one looked like ,here's one I found . you never know how big a garden I'll have next year lol , Al

This guy is not laughing at all!! I could put in up to 7 acres of my 8.9, given a market for them and the equipment to plant and harvest them.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 05:50 AM

I don't think I'll ever have room for something that big but getting pieces together to make a potato plow for the DB , we hadmy SIL kids over on Sun and I took a fork to 2 plants ,hey had a good time finding potatoes for supper . Did you ever try sweet potatoes ? Al

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 08:06 AM

Yes, but have not done so this year, though we planned to and failed to carry through?
The weather is kind of iffy in Iowa for growing sweet potatoes in Iowa.
Seems like when we planted every year we would get a good crop about 1 out of 3 years.
They originally came from Africa, and grow best in a warmer dry climate. Dry as it is this year I think I missed the boat?
Will make more effort to grow them next year. The one I had the best luc with was called "Georgia Jet".
They are a real good crop to grow in the Southern States.
I do love eating them. I like them baked and put Butter and a little Cinnomon Sugar on. The Wife prefers hers with Butter ,Salt & pepper.

I'm right there with you on the grandkids in the garden. My youngest grandaughter Destiny(8), loves to help gramdma pick in the garden. She is especially fond of berries, Though she is pretty aprehensive of the thorny Rasberries, but wil pick the thornless Blackberries. She has a good eye for spotting the ripe ones and will point them out to grandma.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 17, 2012 - 08:07 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#15 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:12 AM

I don't think I'll ever have room for something that big but getting pieces together to make a potato plow for the DB , we hadmy SIL kids over on Sun and I took a fork to 2 plants ,hey had a good time finding potatoes for supper . Did you ever try sweet potatoes ? Al

I tried sweet potatoes a couple of years ago. Did not work good at all. That was a first and last attempt!