#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 07:13 AM

I've changed many u-joints but have run into a problem. Maybe I gave up to soon due to having gotten over heated. Its hot I was welding from 7;30 am untill 12:30 and sweating trying to fix stuff that needed to be welded.I knew I was losing more water then I was taking in.Anyway after the welding was done I wanted to change the u-joint on my Howse brush mower .Its gotten pretty sloppy.Anyway I tried a few times and the cups are recessed way down in the yoke.When I try to take the cups out by pushing down on the other one the cross bottoms out on the inside of the yoke and the cup just barely comes out the other side not enough siticking out to grab a hold.Has anyone ever encountered a u-joint like this and what/how do you get these out short of destroying the joint. I'll have to try again but not when I'am dehydrated as patience just isn't there.LOL I gave up and went in the house for a few hrs to cool off and get fluid back in.never tried after that. Larry

Edited by massey driver, July 14, 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:41 AM

Never had one quite that hard Larry. Usually at least 1/2 the cup will show enough to get Vice-grips onto. Can you drive the cross back to drive the opposite cap enough to remove the cross? If you can get that cross out, then you could use a long punch at an angle to drive the caps the rest of the way out.

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Got it done.Being in a better mood and not dehydrated let me figure it out.I ended up grinding one side of the yoke off to allow the cup to come out enough to grab hold of it.I left 1/8" over burden of the snap ring area to keep the snap ring on.Don't really know why they had such a thick over burden of material above the snap ring as there's no stress what so ever as the cup sits below the snap ring ,anyway its done and back on the mower ready to go in a short while.Also when I put the shaft / yokes that I ground off I put them oppistie each other to maybe offset the balance if it makes any diff I don't know.At least its not so hot today and there's a nice wind blowing as well.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 12:27 PM

You won't have any balance problems at all with the weight so close to center of rotation. Plus you're only talking 540rpm anyway.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 02:21 PM

The only time I have ever had to time a drive shaft was on a school bus, it had a 4 section driveshaft. With the last section out of time the transmission would jump out of gear, later it was timed the problem stopped.