#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 12:23 AM

as many of you know R-1's for 15" rims run a couple hundred dollars... this has led me to seek other options. I -have found these tires in a 30x7-15 for about $250 a pair shipped. does anyone have any experience with offroad style tires for ground engagement style work? I wonder how well this tread pattern would do.

Posted Image

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 05:46 AM

It doesn't have the open spaces between lugs that an AG tire has and has the centre lugs going the opposite way to an industrial (Skid Steer) type tire. It is designed for on/offroad work. It would probably be fine for work in dry conditions and for applications where a turf tire would work but for true AG type applications like pulling a plough it might have a tendency to clog up. You could always add chains.
  • twostep said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 09:55 AM

I agree completely with Brian. It will most likely not be constant across different ground types. I think chains with those tires would make one scary combination!

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 06:34 PM

If you know any tractor pullers or mud racers they should have a cutter that could open the tread some for increased traction.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 06:37 PM

I will also jump on the chain bandwagon. Chains make a huge difference even with just turfs.

I did a little looking & found 6.00x15 Ag tires for $83 each. they also have a 5.00 and 7.50 size available. Halfway down.

http://www.nebraskat...s/starmaxx.html

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Well I think it is an alternative, and would probably work fine in dry dirt. The only problem I see is if you got it in mud a GT would not have the wheel speed to throw the mud out(as you would have with a 4X4). That would make them spinning slicks in very short orde and you would need chains.
So it really boils down to your application,

#7 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 12:28 PM

I will also jump on the chain bandwagon. Chains make a huge difference even with just turfs.

I did a little looking & found 6.00x15 Ag tires for $83 each. they also have a 5.00 and 7.50 size available. Halfway down.

http://www.nebraskat...s/starmaxx.html

I need(ed) ag's to fit 15" rims... that shows 6.00 x 16 which I assume is the tire size, not the rim size.

...and would probably work fine in dry dirt. The only problem I see is if you got it in mud a GT would not have the wheel speed to throw the mud out(as you would have with a 4X4). That would make them spinning slicks in very short orde...

my main goal is pulling a grader blade and single bottom plow... and you are completely right. Considering how this same tire works on my jeep, if I get in mud and not even in a pit, just a wet trail, the lugs fill up and when I need traction I have to goose it and let the centripital force clean the lugs out.

I ended up picking up 4 ag style tires, 7.5 x 30" that fit on 16" rims so now I just need to buy the rims and I'll be set. A guy had them on a jeep (very small tires for a true offroad jeep...) so they the came with steel 5 on 5.5" rims. They should work and I paid less than half price!

tires.jpg
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 09, 2012 - 02:38 PM

Just keep your eye on ebay. I have been looking for a set of 29x12x15 super lugs for a few years. The ones I found were about $200 each, but nobody had them in stock. I found some blems on ebay last year for $100 each.
One showed up with a knife wound in the side wall. I contacted the seller and he replaced it. I cant remember the name of the shop. it was in kentucky or tennessee somewhere. I can look it up if anybody is interested

Edited by rat88, August 09, 2012 - 02:43 PM.

• sacsr said thank you