• 123 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:30 PM

LOL yea that's too far.....for a dozer blade. thank you

#17 chiefgoodman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6021
  • 36 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 08:09 PM

The last couple of days I have had a chance to work on the tractor. Took the seat pan, and foot rests off as well as the mower deck.The sluggish hydro I think is because of low fluid. I looked in the reserve tank under the seat and there was about an 1/8 of an inch of fluid. Checked for a broken frame and it all looks solid. The frame has been repainted but I believe the right side of the frame has been rewelded. Doesn't look original but is clean and solid. I discovered a small axle leak when I took off the wheel weights. The tractor has been sitting for a month and no leaks on the floor so I will top off the axle and keep an eye on it. What kind of fluid should I use? And do I add it where my finger is pointed?? Or is that just a vent?

The last picture here is of the engine. I had a friend over who is a mechanic to lend some advice. Looks like a new head gasket and tune up is the next step. Found the gaskets on ebay.

Going to New York tomorrow after work to get a dozer blade and possibly a tiller.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo2.JPG
  • photo3.JPG
  • photo4.JPG
  • photo5.JPG
  • photo.JPG

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ok, I'd say that third pic shows a re-enforcement piece welded into place (EDIT: I looked at that again, I was mislead by a shadow. I no longer think that is a re-enforcement peice). From the pic I can't see any breaks in the other side. The hydro fluid and the axle fluid are separate. I used 90 wt gear oil in mine, and would suggest that you go ahead and drain and replace what you have, never know how long it has been since the last change. Plus, the level check plug is difficult to get to. Yes, what your finger is pointing at is the fill for the axle.
Sluggish hydro.....I think early models of that tractor did not have a reservoir tank under the seat, just what was in the tank under the hydro control and pump, which holds 3 quarts. If you have any amount of fluid in the reservoir under the seat, then I would think the hydro should work OK. I'd be more inclined to check my disengagement lever and especially the belt. Make sure that the parking brake is disengaged. Make sure the tensioner pulley (shown in the second pic) is putting tension on the belt. Make sure the cam is moving all the way forward and back and that the unit control lever follows correctly. One more thought, the hydro pulley has 3 1/2 inch belt grooves, the hydro belt goes on the largest, closest to the engine. The large pulley is close to 5 inches in diameter, so if an incorrect pulley has been installed that would cause issues.

Edited by HowardsMF155, August 15, 2012 - 09:09 PM.