16 replies to this topic

#16 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thats a great score! You have three of the hardest to find attachments, FEL, tiller and finish mower. I will not guess as to value, you paid what you paid and you are happy.

Some things about the D's. Sloppy steering and hydro problems are the two most major problems found. The hydro problem might not show up until you get to using it and the oil gets hot. There are a few of us working on a way to rebuild the hydros. Steering slop is an easy fix, its a ross steering box.

The one true weakness of the early D's is the rearend. When thye first came out WH used 5/16 grade 8 bolts in the differential. They were not up to the stress. Usually one of the heads will break off and wedge itself between the bull gear and the case. The case will usually loose and crack. Since you are planning on a complete tear down, I would make the rearend my first priority. Open it up and see if you have the 5/16th bolts or the 3/8. If the 3/8, just order some grade 9 bolts from macmaster carr. If you have the 5/16, then you will have to get new bull gear and diff side plates. Those have been showing up on ebay quite a bit but it may take some time to get them. thats why I encourage you tohit the rearend first. It sucks when you are ready to go back together but the last part you need to replace hasnt shown up on ebay yet.
  • Toolpartzman and KC9KAS have said thanks

#17 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,504 Thanks
  • 7,630 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Nice haul. I just missed a Front end loader for the SS16 by a few minutes.