• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 11:23 PM

I dont know what happened? Thanks for letting me know! I will repost them tomorrow.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#47 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 04:28 PM

Ok, I repaired all the links and they should be good to go now!

#48 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 04:45 PM

good find and glad to see you rebuilding it. any luck on your axle?

#49 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:26 PM

I wanted to see what the axle problems for myself. So I took the cover back off, took off the tires, then got it on stands. I was going to start with the left side. That is the side that the seller told me was broken. I spun the axle and I noticed that the other end of the axle on the inside was spinning, moving gears that would have turned the other side. I could clearly see that the end of the right axle as moving, but the right hub was NOT moving. So I knew it was actually the other side that was broken. I proceeded to take out the good axle anyway, to inspect for damage. That axle slid right out after I took out the keeper pin. I went to the right side and that side was a little more difficult. I had to beat it out with a steel bar from the other side to push it out. After the axle cleared the differential, the entire gear cluster lifted out. When the axle broke, it twisted and mushroomed out. I had to cut off the end of it so it would come out.

Here are the axles. The one on the right is the good one. The two pieces on the broken axle are the piece I cut off and the broken end. The one on the left is the part that broke off and the right one is the mushroomed part. On the mushroomed piece you can see that the splines twisted before braking.

Ryan

I have a Case 195 as well. The axle shafts are just welded to the wheel hub. I wonder if a machine shop could make a new one for you out of 4140 or some tougher steel (I'm not an expert--I'm sure someone on the forum could help you out) and leave it long. Then you could drill the old one out of the hub, insert and weld the new one... might be cheaper and faster to do than trying to find another axle.

Just thinkin'

Utah Smitty

#50 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Ryan

I have a Case 195 as well. The axle shafts are just welded to the wheel hub. I wonder if a machine shop could make a new one for you out of 4140 or some tougher steel (I'm not an expert--I'm sure someone on the forum could help you out) and leave it long. Then you could drill the old one out of the hub, insert and weld the new one... might be cheaper and faster to do than trying to find another axle.

Just thinkin'

Utah Smitty

I was going to have an axle shaft machined if I could not find another. Steve Guider has one with an injured hub that he is going to ship Monday.

#51 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Not having the axle has been slowing me down a lot with this. Because the trans-axle is also the hydraulic reservoir I cant even try to get it running until I get that all back together and filled with fluid. Pretty much the only thing I could do was work on the front end. And since one corner is already on a stand I didn't want to take off the front axle. Well, I had enough of walking past it and I had to work on it.

Posted Image

It seems like every time I really need to use the torch one of the bottles are empty! The oxygen had about 3 minutes left then it ran out. It was not enough to get the axle straightened any. I took a better pic of it, kinda blurry.
Posted Image

The front tires are almost bald, dry rotted away and don't even match, I have some better ones I can put on it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ryan--

Great work you're doing on the Case!!! I wonder if I could ask you a favor??? My case doesn't have a hood and I want to make one for it. Can you measure yours and post them? It might be helpful for other Case 195 owners as well.

Regards,

Steve

#53 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Ryan--

Great work you're doing on the Case!!! I wonder if I could ask you a favor??? My case doesn't have a hood and I want to make one for it. Can you measure yours and post them? It might be helpful for other Case 195 owners as well.

Regards,

Steve

I will be glad to get the measurements from it! I will do that tomorrow and post the measurements for you.

#54 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 04:59 PM

My axle came today from Steve. There are supposed to be some pretty big thunderstorms starting around 7 tonight. Tornado watch, flood warning and some other thunderstorm watches and warnings. Even the county fair closed early! I didn't want to put it in, just in case it came early, or I had a problem that made it take longer, getting me caught in the storm with it all apart. But, I put it in anyway. LOL! I couldn't help myself. It all went smoothly and I got everything back together.

Posted Image

#55 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:11 AM

Speaking of hood, that hood is awesome. Makes those lights look really unique. I really like this tractor Ryan, good snag!

Edited by middleageddeere, July 27, 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 03:28 AM

Ryan--

Regards,

Steve

Thought I would ring his bell again for you, Steve! I know he's been busy with the metal stretcher!

#57 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 11:19 AM

Thought I would ring his bell again for you, Steve! I know he's been busy with the metal stretcher!

Thanks Kenny... I'm patient--he's got his hands full...BUT I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!! ;o}
  • KennyP said thank you

#58 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Sorry Steve! I apologize, I can be forgetful sometimes. But that is no excuse, I walk past the 195 every few minutes!

I went to TSC and HF earlier today, I got what I needed. A battery and a hydraulic hose for the 195, and some transfer punches, now I might be able to drill holes where they need to go!

Posted Image

#59 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Try drilling the first holes with a small bit. Sometimes, trying to go full size right at first will let the bit 'walk' a little, causing you to be off. Takes a bit longer, but the holes stay closer to where you want them. For most holes I want to line up with others, I will step drill, using several sizes until I get to the size I want.

#60 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Try drilling the first holes with a small bit. Sometimes, trying to go full size right at first will let the bit 'walk' a little, causing you to be off. Takes a bit longer, but the holes stay closer to where you want them. For most holes I want to line up with others, I will step drill, using several sizes until I get to the size I want.

The problem is not from the bit walking around. It is me! My measurements are always off a tiny bit. I always make a mark with a punch so that the bit does not move around, and I always make a small pilot hole.