• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 02:38 PM

She looks to be in good hands and on the road to recovery. How would a guy like you manage if there weren't a few lil' things to work on. haven't heard any major issues beyond your scope. Just be careful not to insight a mutiny! (they look to be muttering something over there in the huddle)

I can take care of them... :shoot3:

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 03:18 PM

That cleaned up really nice Ryan. Those heavy fenders - I think you have the very rare fender/weight option. :bounce: It's showing a lot of wear and neglect in places but if the engine and drive train look OK then the rest can be dealt with without spending big bucks. Do you think you'll need a new axle or will you attempt to straighten that one? It must have taken quite an impact to bend that. Have you checked for any further damage to the axle mount/frame?

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Ryan, it has a few issues, but I have lots of faith in your ability to surmount them. Take them one at a time and you'll work through them.

#19 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Great find Ryan! Looks like you for sure have a good starting point with it. Good luck with fixing it up!

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 06:35 PM

That cleaned up really nice Ryan. Those heavy fenders - I think you have the very rare fender/weight option. :bounce: It's showing a lot of wear and neglect in places but if the engine and drive train look OK then the rest can be dealt with without spending big bucks. Do you think you'll need a new axle or will you attempt to straighten that one? It must have taken quite an impact to bend that. Have you checked for any further damage to the axle mount/frame?

I will try to straighten this one out first. I have a feeling this will be one of those things that works great, or does not work at all.

Edit: I did check for further damage and everything looks to have survived. The pieces on each side of the axle got stretched open so I will have to squeeze it back together.

Edited by Ryan313, July 13, 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 06:57 PM

I went out and put some air in the tube while I messed with some other stuff. It is holding up good! Now that I look at my patchwork in the pic, it looks pretty sloppy. LOL!
Posted Image

I put the tire back on and got the front up so I could get under it easier to look at the steering.
Posted Image

The little round gear is on the bottom of the steering column, the semi-circle has an arm that steers the tires.
Posted Image

The semi-circle has a bushing in the hole that it pivots on. The bushing is worn and causing the steering problems.
Posted Image

When I reached the stopping point in the steering issue, I wanted to see what I had to work with in the engine department. I jumped the starter and it didn't have spark. The plug looks VERY bad and I doubt it is any good. I stopped there for today.

Edited by Ryan313, July 20, 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I think they call that type of steering gear a sector and pinion. Think of a steering rack formed into a sector of a circle. That's how I remember it. You should be able to find another gear and bushing without too much trouble. Check with the site sponsors if you can't find one locally. Points are a likely cause of no spark if that's a K301.

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:15 PM

I think they call that type of steering gear a sector and pinion. Think of a steering rack formed into a sector of a circle. That's how I remember it. You should be able to find another gear and bushing without too much trouble. Check with the site sponsors if you can't find one locally. Points are a likely cause of no spark if that's a K301.

It is a k301 in there. I figured that the points are getting bad after years of use. I am not to worried about it. Yet...

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Good looking tractor, and for the price, you did good, even with the problems that need addressed. :thumbs:

#25 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Good deal Ryan. Even with the issues, it looks like a good project for you. That will keep you out of mischief this summer. It cleaned up nicely. I like the buddy seat.

#26 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 11:25 PM

You sure can't beat it for the money Ryan, and I wouldn't give up on the deck just yet. It looks like a very flat simple design. I would think you could cut out the bad spots, and weld in some fresh plate, and after a little body work I think it would turn out nice. :thumbs: That is definitely one tough looking machine. :laughingteeth:

Matt

#27 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the nice comments!

You sure can't beat it for the money Ryan, and I wouldn't give up on the deck just yet. It looks like a very flat simple design. I would think you could cut out the bad spots, and weld in some fresh plate, and after a little body work I think it would turn out nice. :thumbs: That is definitely one tough looking machine. :laughingteeth:

Matt

It is flat on the top, but the back half has a cover over the other two spindle pulleys, I haven't taken that cover off and I don't know how bad it is inside there.

#28 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:34 AM

I cleaned the points and reset the gap. Still no spark. I got the test light out and started but I thought it would be easier if I had the diagram. I came in to print it out, now to find it...

#29 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 12:38 PM

I printed out the diagram, the diagram shows that it it should have a push starter. Mine has a solenoid with the 3 position key switch. The dash has a hole in it that says "starter" under it, on the back of the hole it has the solenoid bolted where the push button goes. There is a smaller newer looking push button that looks like it was added at a later point. That button is spliced into the wires. I tried a few different things to get it to turn over by the controls on the dash but I couldn't get it to do anything. I think I am going to have to redo some of the wires and return it to the original set-up. :wallbanging:

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 09:02 PM

I wanted to see what the axle problems for myself. So I took the cover back off, took off the tires, then got it on stands. I was going to start with the left side. That is the side that the seller told me was broken. I spun the axle and I noticed that the other end of the axle on the inside was spinning, moving gears that would have turned the other side. I could clearly see that the end of the right axle as moving, but the right hub was NOT moving. So I knew it was actually the other side that was broken. I proceeded to take out the good axle anyway, to inspect for damage. That axle slid right out after I took out the keeper pin. I went to the right side and that side was a little more difficult. I had to beat it out with a steel bar from the other side to push it out. After the axle cleared the differential, the entire gear cluster lifted out. When the axle broke, it twisted and mushroomed out. I had to cut off the end of it so it would come out.

Here are the axles. The one on the right is the good one. The two pieces on the broken axle are the piece I cut off and the broken end. The one on the left is the part that broke off and the right one is the mushroomed part. On the mushroomed piece you can see that the splines twisted before braking.
Posted Image

Here is a better shot of the two little pieces. The one on the left is the part that broke off and the right one is the mushroomed part. On the mushroomed piece you can see that the splines twisted before braking. The pic is not very clear but you can see how ugly the brake was.
Posted Image

When I cut the end off I got the insides pretty dirty. So, I decided to do it right and take out the last few things that were in it to clean it properly. The gears that are still in it are because they are pressed into the bearings, and the bearings are pressed into the case.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to get some brake cleaner, then I can clean the parts and will be able to get everything back together, with the exception of the other axle I do not have yet.

Also, I don't know if I did a bad job with my patch on the tube, or if there is another hole. I went out this morning and the tire was a little more flat then I left it. I will have to get another tube.

While staring at the tractor (don't lie, we all do it) I spotted a bad hydraulic line. I will need to get a replacement before I start it, I don't want to put any kind of pressure in this line. Even though the rubber does not add any strength, I dont want to risk it.
Posted Image

Edited by Ryan313, July 20, 2012 - 04:27 PM.