• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Here is the Case I picked up tonight. I found out that it WAS painted at some point, so unfortunately it is not original paint. Somehow I forgot to ask the lady if they were the original owners. Oh well, I can email her son (who was was the one I have been talking to) and find out if they bought it new or not. The lady was very kind and seemed very happy to get rid of it.

It has a broken axle, not sure if its the axle or the axle tube though. The PO must have started to work on it because the fenders were not on it and they were off to the side. Also the transaxle cover was unbolted, but still sitting on top so the inside is still clean of any debris, until we started moving it around and got some crud inside of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The gears all look to be in very good condition, no wear from grinding when switching range or anything. and it has some fluid in it so everything still moves smoothly.
Posted Image

A portion of the backside of the seat has been broken, welded and broken again.
Posted Image

The PO added an armrest, unfortunately it is welded on so I cant even take it off with a few bolts. A bar was added on the back between the two fenders. Another thing, when I picked up the fenders they were heavy! Not so heavy that they couldn't be moved, but they are much heavier then they look! I will have to put them on the scale to see how heavy they really are.
Posted Image

The mower deck is slightly out of whack. When you push it it either gets run over buy the back tires, or if you push it backwards it runs up the back tires. It has some grip tape on each side so it looks like it was used as a step, it also has some diamond plate on the front of it.

Posted Image

I got a rag and put a little water on it to wipe off the serial tag and after I wiped that off, I thought I would see how clean the hood would come with the damp rag. It came out pretty clean! A little wiping with no soap and it looks pretty good and I think it will clean up nice! I only did a little patch.

Posted Image

The right rear tires goes flat. I put air in it after getting it home so I could move it and the air just leaked out as fast as I put it in. It was coming from the valve so it could just be a bad core, I will see what the problem is tomorrow.

It has a steering problem, only turns left. After looking it over at my house I saw that the pin the front axle pivots on was sticking half way out! I jacked up the front and put it back in, although there is nothing other then the tractor weight holding it from coming out again. I think that when the pin worked it's way out it made play in the gears and then the gears started slipping and now over time became stripped.

Tomorrow, the first thing I want to do is take off the mower deck so I can move it around and work on it easier. Then fix the rear tire and see what I can do with the steering. I don't know what I will do after that, but we all know that there are other things I can do to the tractor!

The serial number is 9620734, can somebody tell me whether it is a '67 or a '68?

Edited by Ryan313, July 20, 2012 - 04:13 PM.

• MH81, middleageddeere and KennyP have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:27 PM

It's about time Ryan, I was starting to give up on you...

Nice looking tractor. I think the problems are overcomable, but it's a good thing you're handy.

the steering gear: this is a worm type box, right? it may have just popped over a couple when someone tried to force it. See if you can get an exploded view of that before you open it up, just in case there is a "Waldo" spring in there.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Great haul Ryan. I actually think the armrest and rear fender tie bar add some unique class to it.
As for steering you just have an open steering setup, so interference type of gear setup. Grind the top of the radial gear down and reinstall it, should give better interference fit.
Thanks for the pics, and good luck with your repairs.
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks guys! Did you really think I would be able to sleep knowing I left you all without pics?

Alan, like Casey said it does not have a steering box. It is an open set-up I guess you could call it.

Casey, I have seen people just put a small weld bead on every other gear tooth, then grind them into shape. Go put a weld on the other teeth and reshape those ones. And yes, I suppose the armrest does make it different. It will stay for now. When ever I get to restoring it I might take it off, I might not. I will have to see how I like it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Ryan, I think it is more than just an armrest, and is built extra sturdy for a reason. I think it is a jump-seat for your date lol. (you will want to keep that lol)

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:43 PM

Ryan, I think it is more than just an armrest, and is built extra sturdy for a reason. I think it is a jump-seat for your date lol. (you will want to keep that lol)

Lol! After I got it back to my house I heard somebody say it was another seat. I don't know if it was the neighbor who took me, a family friend who was over, or my brother.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:53 PM

Congrats, and thanks for the pics. I just woke from my nap, and the first thing I thought was, "I
wonder if there's pictures" :thumbs:

That's a good lookin machine. Just a couple small challenges to sort out, and you'll be out bombing around.

#8 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 12:20 AM

Congrats on the 'new to you'! lookin' forward to the progress reports

#9 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 12:56 AM

The issues are not insurmountable this is gonna be a cool add for you. Congrats and lookin fwd to seeing this beauty done...

Regards,
Jim

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 05:54 AM

Nice tractor, Ryan! I had faith you would get the pics up. Hope the issues aren't too challenging and you have it running around the yard soon!

#11 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Nice score Ryan, I'm glad you got it, and I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress! :thumbs: Thanks for the pics! :laughingteeth:

Matt

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thanks everybody! I am glad I was able to save it! Although, it is starting to lean towards the "basket case" category. But that is ok, since I only paid 125 for it!

Because it does not steer well, I went to turn the front tire by hand and noticed the one side of the front axle is a tweaked pretty badly.
Posted Image

Just taking the mower deck off was a project in itself! Once I figured out that the deck belt is what holds the front up I was able to get it off pretty easily.
Posted Image

The mower deck has quite a few holes in it and a lot of booger welds on it. The side rail on the discharge side is broken off at the back. And the diamond plate on the front is to cover up a hole about 4 inches by 4 inches, plus a good amount of smaller holes. All of the holes for the brackets are wallowed out and it is missing one of the front rollers. The deck looks like it is a gonner. :mecry:
Posted Image

As promised, I put the fenders on the scale. A whopping 59 pounds!
Posted Image

I did not want to work in filth, so I found replacement bolts to put the transaxle cover back on, and pushed it around back and washed it, kinda. I pressure-washed the whole thing, and the tan got cleaned with a wet rag. The wet rag did not make a difference on any of the orange other then the wheels, so I did not do the orange much. It is not "clean" but it will make it a lot easier to work on.
Posted Image

I dont think I have ever washed either of my power kings with soap, I usually just pressure-wash the mud, dirt and grime off. And now they had to watch me wash a tractor that I have had for less then 24 hours better then I have ever washed either of them.
Posted Image

The fenders got the same treatment as all of the other tan parts. The pressure kinda messed up the seat a little, but it is ok because I have some better vinyl I will recover it with.
Posted Image

I was able to get the oil off of the mower deck. I didn't give it much attention though.
Posted Image

After cleaning it I set the fenders on there. One reason was to see how it looked, the other as to sit on it. LOL!
Posted Image

Posted Image
I dont know if the PO just painted it, or if he restored it. It is pretty obvious he took it apart to paint it. Also there is silicone coming out from between the oil pan and the block, which tells me somebody has been inside of the engine at some point.

Edited by Ryan313, July 20, 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 01:49 PM

That looks pretty good to me! IMO it's a looooong way from being a basket case! Thanks for all the pics!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Steve, I know you are right. It is a long way from being a basket case but it does have a few things wrong with it. It just needs a little work.

I took off the left rear tire to see what the problem was. The tube had an old DIY patch on it and it was leaking from there. I put a good patch on there now and I am let the glue dry and eat before I go put air in it to test it.

I took the battery out and hooked it up to the charger. The charger did not say it was charging anything so it needs a new battery. The battery that was in it is from may '06.

Does anybody have any good pics of how the sleeve hitch is supposed to hook to the hydraulics? It has a chain holding it in one place. From looking at pics on google I know I am missing some hardware for the sleeve hitch. Maybe if its not to complicated I could fab them up.

#15 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 02:36 PM

She looks to be in good hands and on the road to recovery. How would a guy like you manage if there weren't a few lil' things to work on. haven't heard any major issues beyond your scope. Just be careful not to insight a mutiny! (they look to be muttering something over there in the huddle)