11 replies to this topic

#1 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Has anyone heard of milwaukee equipment rototiller.I have been told i can have one for free. It has a 4hp abn wisconsin engine that hasen't ran in 15 yrs and is not stuck .I would like to know when thease were made and any history on them,when i get it i'll post some pictures. Thanks

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:39 PM

I did a thread on the one I restored for my dad. There is not a lot of info out there. I did find a site that had a little history on them, I'll try and find the site for you.

They started in the 40's I believe, then they sold the business to Bolens in 1954.

Bolens kept the decide for awhile and started calling them Mustang tillers. They were always Mustangs but Milwaukee just called them M series. like ours is a M16, that is a Mustang with 16" tines.

They used different engines over the years, ours had a Clinton 700 originally.

Is the one you are getting a front tine unit?
PICT1087.JPG Here is a picture, I put a Briggs 5S on it for now.
  • Bolens 1000 and tractorman604 have said thanks

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:42 PM

I found the link to the only site with info that I have ever found. http://www.donaldant...ers.com/ME.html
  • tractorman604 said thank you

#4 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:15 AM

Chris thanks for that info you dug up for me.That was really helpful,and the tiller i got is a rear tine tiller.The tiller you restored for your dad is very impresive!
  • chris m said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:23 AM

I have one that sounds like yours, Wisconsin engine and all. My tires aren't very good and I have no idea where I would get new ones.

#6 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:42 AM

I always buy from miller tire they ushually have or can find what you need, but those type of tires might be a little tricky

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have some Parts Manuals for the M-E tillers.

When you get the tiller, post the model, and I'll check to see if I have something for your tiller.

A quick glance shows a 1951 printing date on some of the manuals.
  • Bolens 1000 and tractorman604 have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,633 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Bought this Milwaukee Equipment tiller last week and thought I'd throw down a picture. It's a model EC12-C2 with small but heavy cast iron wheels. The engine is supposed to be a Clinton 2 horse but it has a Tecumseh 2 horse on it now. The other side has a large aluminum belt cover - I'll include a link so you can see what the other side looks like. The rounded cover with the decal is the aluminum one. Approx. year is 1952.
http://www.donaldant...om/EC12C2sm.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000945.JPG

• tractorman604 and brian d have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 04:22 PM

wow 2 yo thread. I just brought one home that looks like the one just above except the tires are more "conventional" looking.

It looks like the model is B-12 serial 5070. any further info on these since the last person posted 2 years ago?

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 06:38 PM

wow 2 yo thread. I just brought one home that looks like the one just above except the tires are more "conventional" looking.

Same as mine ! Wisc. ABN and conventional looking dual tires. However the tires are made from a rubber/plastic(Plubber?) material. It looks as though it was parked on asphalt because the tires are deformed on one side.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:33 PM

Same as mine ! Wisc. ABN and conventional looking dual tires. However the tires are made from a rubber/plastic(Plubber?) material. It looks as though it was parked on asphalt because the tires are deformed on one side.

mine has a D 1107 Clinton on it. the one in the pic  above my other post seems to have a newer Tecumseh H35-HS40 on it.

Edited by dodge trucker, August 10, 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:11 AM

reviving an ancient thread again.  I actually used my M-E rear tine yesterday  when the Tecumseh on the borrowed Ariens I have here started spewing gas out the mouth of the carb.... gonna have to replace that needle and seat again.

3 HP Clinton, it fired right up 1st pull after sitting all winter. It pulled down to such low RPMs that I thought it was gonna die out more than once but it recovered better than any current engine would.. The only time it did die was when it found a root. 

This tiller does as well as a Troy bilt once the crust was broken, the only problem was that it is so narrow that when doing the next row it wanted to pull towards the last tilled row and it wanted to tilt/tip towards the last tilled row. I wound up leaving a small (1-2") untilled strip and catching that on the next pass.  I just broke up some of my yard that had died off so that I could rake some grass seed in, only wanted to go in about 2" deep.

part of the price I pay for having dogs that like to wrap their chain up around the clothes pole, giving them alot less yard in which to do their duty,  their pee burned out about 8' out from the edge of my concrete slab on all 3 sides...

This thing wanted to dig to China....

Also; I was amazed at the power. When you pull that lever HANG ON or youre going for a ride.... especially when initially breaking hard crust. More so than with either of the TB Horses that I have had.

I had taken it  a couple of hours away to a buddy that lives in Parke County IN last fall, having just gotten it and done just enough work to it, to see that it ran and all the levers worked.... They have a "Covered Bridge" fest  that lasts 10 days every Oct with what amounts to a huge flea market, thinking he could sell it. apparently not a single person asked about it (so the price I had on it would be moot) 

so he showed up with it at my doorstep by surprise one day a couple of months ago. but now that I see that it actually works and how powerful that little cast Iron Clinton is, I sure was not expecting that.  It would be great for between row cultivating.....it is the narrowest rear tine tiller I have ever seen, besides maybe a Mantis.    Since I have moved here (17 years ago)  I don't really have room for a garden, because of how my yard is laid out, so I only need a tiller  in my own yard about once every few years, when I have to dig up something in my yard for one reason or another,,, like when they added city water and dug thru the center of the front yard, and when they dug up my well to seal it with concrete (against my desire) and left me a clumpy uneven mess.... or like last fall when I had to dig up the cap to the septic and have it pumped (and forgot right where the lid was and had to do more digging than I wanted to. to find it)

I have had one of those stupid-phones (they aren't really "smart"/ if they were they would be easier to figure out) and took the 1st ever pictures with it, while I was using this tiller yesterday, but I have not yet figured out how to get them to the computer.....

Edited by dodge trucker, April 19, 2015 - 09:15 AM.

• LilysDad said thank you