• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 09:15 AM

This morning I woke up all itchy . It was obvious I have poison ivy, to make matters worse I got it by my eye maken it half shut. I can still see clearly very much but its a real pain. Anyone got some good remedies for this?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 09:18 AM

There was talk about this not long ago I think. My wife gets it just by looking at it or being downwind of it.

One of our customers here at work somehow got on the subject of it and he said he did some searching and read that banana peel works. I guess you rub it on? He said he tried it and it worked. Only other option would be to go to the doctor and get steroid creme or pills.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Years ago I got a bad case on my right hand. We tried all kinds of cream's and lotions, then I did some research and found out if you run hot water over it, as hot as you can stand it, it will take the itching out of it and then benyadril (sp) cream or lotion. It eased the itching immediately and it finally started to heal in a couple of day's. You do need to do this about 3 times a day and I really don't know if it would be good to put hot water near your eye.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:40 AM

A word of advise, please avoid scratching "other" areas. LOL

One thing I have tried and works is to scratch it good and get it broke open, then use alcohol straight from bottle. It will soak down to the bottom and dry it up. Oh it WILL burn a bit, but it does work.

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:52 AM

My aunt had it really bad a couple of weeks ago. I think she just ended up going to the doctor and getting a shot.

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Amputation.

No, not really. But I wasn't aware that they had shots for this now. Interesting. I had ivy a lot as a kid I haven't had it forever. Don't know if I grew and immunity to it or have just been lucky. Have run a lot of weedeater in my day.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 03:25 PM

Being it's around your eye, I advise seeing a doc about it. That's some seriously tender area to be putting much on other than Calamine lotion.

#8 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 03:29 PM

About the only thing you can do around your eye is get the steroid shot or pill.For other areas i started running hot water over the affected area.Like mentioned before as hot as you can stand it.I found this out by accident.At work over the winter months your skin is drier than over summer.Every once in a while over winter i get oil poison.Not as bad as ivy but itches and turns into a rash.I was washing my arms off at work and the water got hot and i thought this feels good.The itching went away for a couple hours.I also itch it open and use the alcohol when i'm at home.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:16 PM

We used Felsnaptha soap as a kid followed by calamine lotion. Seemed to help.

#10 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Stay away from it :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth: :poke: :poke:

But seriously I am with Daniel on the Doctor visit. Thats a pretty tender area and you only got two of them. Our son would get it like Georges wife, seemed to jump off the ground and get him every summer. Doesn't seem to bother me as I know I've been in it before and had no reaction. Not that I am going to go out and roll in it or anything though.

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 06:56 PM

My aunt had it really bad a couple of weeks ago. I think she just ended up going to the doctor and getting a shot.

Had a co-worker that was an outdoors type of guy. He would get shots BEFORE he got posion ivy, and if he DID get P.I, he would go back to the Dr. for another shot.

I had posion ivy in my eyes too....they were swollen shut....I had to go to the doctor for help with this.

I suggest you see a doctor!

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:53 PM

I seem to get the stuff if you say it slowly, down wind, off the dog, just about year round. Best home brew I have found is baking soda mixed with water into a paste. Rub it on and let dry. This will work but it'll make a mess as it drys and cracks off. You will see the yellow oil come right out of the blisters. Standing in the shower while it drys helps with the mess. Then shower of with an oat-meal soap or the Felsnaptha soap is pretty good too if you can find it. HOWEVER I agree fully that with it near you eye you need to spend the bucks and see a Dr.
Good luck.

#13 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Saw the doc, they gave some over the counter eye drops, they've been seeming to help. I can see better now. As for the other spots the poison was at, I found some other stuff we had called "Technu" I definitly reccomend it. It's definetly working, put some on my arms this morning and haven't felt a thing since.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Glad you have it under control. PI can be a misery.

#15 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:30 PM

Glad you went to the doc and along with the Technu you've got everything under control. I have a friend that was over one day when I was cleaning out an area. He yelled you better get out of there quick. I thought he'd spotted a rattle snake but he then said there's poison ivy all over the place. When we were kids my brother would break out from it but it's never bothered me at all. Knock on wood (my head), I hope it never does bother me. I do wash my hands when finished working around it before touching my little bride.............or some other sensitive spot though.