Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 08:47 PM

The position control link assy? The deck gage lever? What do these pieces do? My 195 has the position control link assy, but I don't know what it does. Currently trying to get it freed up.

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:58 AM

The deck gauge lever sets the rear rollers for height of cut on the mower. And quoting from this manual:
http://gardentractor...5-165-operator/
"The position control is used to adjust the operating height of front attachments. Proper adjustment of the position control allows the implement to return to the same pre-set operating height each time it is lowered. The position control is intended primarily for the mower but can be used to obtain a similar adjustment for the dozer blade and snow thrower."

That is why I would like to have this position control back on my tractor. If I have to raise the mower deck, I can always go back down to the same position. it would also come in handy for my dozer blade.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#48 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Kenny, as always you are a wealth of information. I'm going to read this manual.

#49 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Kenny, I have that on mine, but haven't figured how it works, and leave it slack/loose. I am concerned that the shoe horn shaped piece will crack the plastic pan if I allowed the deck use this to stop. I may have not installed it correctly from the get go.

#50 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 05:28 AM

Larry, there is supposed to be a spacer just below the 'shoehorn'/lock bar piece to keep it away from there. Look back at the parts pic.
Here are the instructions:
1. Raise attachment.
2, Loosen lock bar.
3. Turn knob clockwise to lowest position.
4. Lower attachment and adjust to desired position.
5. Turn position control knob counterclockwise until lift is contacted (resistance is felt).
6. Tighten the lock bar finger tight. Do not use a wrench.

With that, you should be able to raise the deck to go over something and lower it back down to continue cutting. It would work good with the front blade, allowing you to just skim high spots. It wouldn't affect anything you had on the rear of the tractor.
If I can get some link dimensions, I'll have some made. I can cobble together the rest of it.
The rollers will be here Tuesday sometime. I still need to get the pulley and a belt from the PTO down to the mower. I'm hoping the 42" belt is the right one for this. TSC is about 20 miles away.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#51 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Got the rollers today. Cut them with the chop saw. I'll see about the pulley tomorrow.

#52 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 04:22 PM

That should take 78" belt I believe.

#53 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Did the rollers cut well?

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 01:26 AM

That should take 78" belt I believe.

That would be the mower belt, Keith. The drive belt will either be 42" or 46.5". According to New Holland parts. the 09jc9835 takes the 42". Hope they are right.

Did the rollers cut well?

The chop saw did great, no problem at all. But I have a 100 tooth blade on it, makes a nice smooth finish. May have been the heat, but I am thinking about leaving the rear center roller at 12" instead of two 3". I see they have lots of side to side clearance. Do they 'walk' much across there? I had thought of restricting that movement, say only an inch. Just wondering if it would be the right thing to do. I need to pick up some 1/2" washers to put between them and the frame work. Hope to have a pulley and drive belt today.

I did have to mess up the paint job. Two of the brackets that hold the roller adjustment bars had broken loose at some point and re welded. This had left the 'axle' for the rollers out of line with the deck, causing the rollers to fail. I hope I have them in the right place now. The axle seems to be more lined up with the rear deck lines. The adjustment works much smoother, too.

#55 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Spindle drive belt that winds around all the spindles should be 82" long and the pro belt 78" the 42" is a miss print. As I'm looking at my manual as I type ;)
Should be a tube spacer for those as well :)

Edited by skyrydr2, August 01, 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:20 AM

Spindle drive belt that winds around all the spindles should be 82" long and the pro belt 78" the 42" is a miss print. As I'm looking at my manual as I type ;)
Should be a tube spacer for those as well :)

Okay! Guess I won't get the belt at TSC. I get the pulley and get it attached and check the measurement. That seems awful long. though. The drive pulley is not going to be far from the mule drive. Guess I'll be going to NAPA for the belt.
Is that what those tubes were for? My roller were worn so bad, the spacers slid inside them. Thought they were for the rollers.

#57 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Lol yup, you will be surprised at how much belt gets used going around the mule and the belt tensioner.

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:33 AM

My tensioner is part of the mule. That is a 1/2" wide belt, isn't it?

#59 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yes, on the mule drive , and yes on the belt tensioner on the deck too. That will really use up belt length as it needs to get "wrap" on the drive pulley .

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 01:46 PM

The deck belt is just fine, nearly new! I got the pulley from TSC, it's not as tall at the hub and uses a 1/4" key instead of the 3/16" in the shaft. It does have two set screws, but i don't plan to trust them with holding it on. I will need a spacer so the bolt from the top will help hold it on there. It is also just a bit loose on the shaft. It's too hot out there right now to figure things out. At 1:15 PM it was 113* on the front porch and the thermometer under the tractor port said 112*.

UPDATE: I went out and got both pulleys. They are within .020" OD where the pulley sits on the hub. If I can cut the new one loose from the hub and put it on the old hub, I've got it made. That will be my plan of attack. Just take a bit longer to get it on there.