Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I looked at making re-enforcing plates for mine. Discussed in depth with the professional welder. He declined on trying to reenforse the spindle area..... So I used JB WELD. So far mine has held well.
1. Sand the bottom well
2. With the deck fliped over, level it as well as possible
3. Use flashing to block off the center mandril hole.
4. Mine took (2) full applications to fill in.

I have pictures if needed, somewhere.
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 09:58 PM

I know you are not doing a full restore, but I may have some pictures (speaks a thousand words) that may help.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2_12%20x%2012%20YATES%20Boat%20Trailer%20Straight%20Roller.jpg
  • 5%20Deck%20Cover%20Marked.JPG
  • 6%20Finished%20Cut.JPG
  • 49%20rod.JPG
  • Axle%20fin.JPG
  • JB%201.JPG
  • JB%203.JPG
  • P1050969.JPG
  • P1050982.JPG
  • P1050985.JPG
  • P1060015.JPG
  • P1060018.JPG
  • P1060020.JPG
  • P1060021.JPG
  • P1060053.JPG
  • prep%20for%20weld.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 02:38 AM

Bad news Kenny, there's no rear rollers or bar at all, it has both front rollers (Not sure how good I didnt un-bury it yet) and the left spindle (not sure if even turns), other than that just a shell I guess. If you need the rollers or spindle I will get it out tomorrow and see how they look.

Greg, if you would check those rollers, I'd be very happy. I don't need the whole spindle, just the pulley off the top of the spindle. I hope it's not buried too deep.
Larry, I am going to add these pieces on the top side.The bottom side is still pretty flat, just rusted out parts letting excess grass and dirt to get up on top around the spindles and belt. In the 9th pic, you can see where the crud got packed into the one pulley. This is the one that rusted out and failed when I went to remove it. I'll have pics today. How's the JB Weld holding up?

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 05:54 AM

Nice pics and documentation Kenny. I have a solid shell for my mf8 deck and just have to worry about the spindles/angle drives.
  • KennyP said thank you

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Got a bit more done today! Finally got the rings made, didn't have anything to cut them with but a 4-1/2" angle grinder. But they are done!
Image012.jpg Image013.jpg
Image014.jpg Image015.jpg
I also got new pieces welded on the front roller hangers. These were wore completely out. I used some 1/4" thick X 1" wide material for those. Got the under side coated with the Rust Reformer. Now I can work on the smaller parts and get the blades sharpened. As soon as I find a pulley and some rollers, I'll be looking for the belt to attach this and see how it does. More pics to come!

#21 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• Member No: 1355
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Guys I have a 42" mower as well. By the way sorry for jumping in here. I got this deck used, put new blades on because it left uncut strips of grass between each mower. But it still leaves uncut strips of grass. What could be wrong? Does Ford sell more than one length of blade for this deck? Would sure appreciate any advice.....

#22 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 08:16 PM

Wow, yours look way worse than mine. JB wouldn't have fixed that, but I place your fix in my "may need later box". Going this far why not a full restore? Looks like all that is left is paint.

#23 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 10:55 PM

Guys I have a 42" mower as well. By the way sorry for jumping in here. I got this deck used, put new blades on because it left uncut strips of grass between each mower. But it still leaves uncut strips of grass. What could be wrong? Does Ford sell more than one length of blade for this deck? Would sure appreciate any advice.....

I haven't used mine yet nor looked to see if the blades are different, so I can't help at the moment. Give me till morning to check!

Wow, yours look way worse than mine. JB wouldn't have fixed that, but I place your fix in my "may need later box". Going this far why not a full restore? Looks like all that is left is paint.

That's why I had to make the plates. Should cut down on the crud getting up around the belt. The deck has too many repairs before I got to it to make it restoreable. It'll never look like new again, I'll just make it usable and less likely to rust away soon. The previous owner just welded things, didn't try to straighten anything.

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:35 AM

RFB, I checked and the blades are all the same length. But, in looking at how the spindles bolt in, they can be 'clocked' in the mounting holes on the deck. I may have to get pics to explain this. Basically, it moves the spindle centers to a different location in the deck, which could leave the uncut areas. Bear with me! I'll get the pics today!

#25 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Kenny, I think you are saying the bolt holes are not size on size, and have clearance in them, which means adjustment is allowed up to size of bolt hole. I have read all of the mower manuals available here and no mention of adjusting blade tip clearance. I checked the bearing lift and clearance in the mandrels and they seem within tolerance, no excessive wear. It is maddening to cut the grass and leave uncut strips of grass. Must be the retired farmer in me.....

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:22 AM

Do you have a model # for this deck, I just checked my idea and it can't happen. Stuck my blades up there and should not have any problem like this. What I am wondering now is if by chance you have the 50" cutting width with 42" blades on it. That would leave uncut strips. The 42" deck measures 50" overall(without the chute). If yours is wider, it may be a larger deck. Just throwing ideas out here. Do you have the deck on the tractor? If it is off and flipped over with the blades turned toward each other, there shouldn't be much clearance between the blades.

#27 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 11:46 AM

By the way Kenny, you do good work. Don't see that much anymore. And thanks for trying to help me. When I bought the new blades, I just took the old one into the Ford dealer, because the tips were worn I thought perhaps that was what was wrong. According to the Ford parts counter these 42" mowers had two different series years. And the parts lists 2 different mower blade part numbers, but gives no description. Just says Mower Blade Kit pcs. 3 and a different part # for each blade kit. Anyone ever hear of this kind of problem? Thanks
  • KennyP said thank you

#28 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Get us a pic the next time you mow with it so we can see what's going on. There are several different model #'s for these, that's why I was asking about yours. Got to be a way to fix this, but I am at a loss right now. Hang with us, someone may come along with a fix yet.
I will have an update on mine later on this afternoon. I'm just letting some paint dry right now.

#29 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Well. it's about 85% finished! Got most of it painted today! Have the pullies and bolts to clean and pretty up. Then find some rollers and a pulley. Get a drive belt and it's ready to go.
Image017.jpg Image018.jpg
Image019.jpg Image020.jpg

#30 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Sorry Kenny the rollers are way worn and no pulley on the spindle.
What size is the pulley you need, I got a pile of them.
  • KennyP said thank you