• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:58 AM

I would like to have this deck usable again. It's going to take some work and a few parts. This will NOT be a restore! Spindles seem to be okay, I'll know more when I take the belt off and spin them. Fun part may be getting the pullies off to remove them. Blades are still usable. I will need a new drive belt and all rollers (I have a PM out to 2 of our sponsors asking if they have them). The rollers are available through New Holland and I will go that way if I have to. Here's some pics:
Image001.jpg Image002.jpg
Image003a.jpg Image004.jpg
Image005.jpg Image006.jpg
Image007.jpg Image008.jpg
Image009a.jpg Image011.jpg Image009.jpg

It's gonna take a lot of love, but it is salvageable!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#2 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have a deck almost in the same condition that I plan to atemp to get useable again. Hope to have it ready for the mowing season next summer,if the tractor turns out ok, still working on that now. You can do it.

Edited by tinbender7, July 12, 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:05 AM

Looks like it's solid enough to rebuild Kenny. Let us know how you make out with it. i've got to do the deck on my MF8 but it has angle drives so it's a bit different. I'm hoping i don't have to go into rebuilding the drives.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have it stripped and there are numerous hair line cracks. Nothing me and the mig can't handle, just a bunch of them. I ruined the one pulley that was full of crap, it was too rusty and gave out when I pulled it off the shaft. Have to see what one will cost!

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Good luck with restoring your deck, Kenny! Hope everything goes good for you with it. Be sure to keep us updated!

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:11 PM

This will not be a restore, only a refurbish. Just what it takes to make it useable. It's too far gone for a restore. I did get the cracks welded up and a patch put in where you could see thru it. Now to find the pulley and rollers cheap! New Holland wants $15+ for the big rollers (takes four) and $48 for a new pulley. Not ready to spend $150 to fix this.

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Kenny, if there's a Purvis Bearing in your area you might want to check with them for a pulley. I've bought some from them and they were reasonably priced and low and behold Made In USA.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Kenny, I have the same deck, not sure if you seen my restore over there. A good alternative for the rollers are Boat trailer rollers, come in 12" lenghts for around $20 each, Takes 3 to make the (4) 6" and (2) 3".
One other thing I did was cut the center section out of the top cover, greatly helps cleaning.
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ronnie, this one is a bit different. It fits a keyed shaft that is 25mm and has a 1-1/4"+/- long hub. If I have a lathe, I could find a pulley and open the center up to fit the hub. But I don't.

#10 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Is that the 50 inch deck Kenny? I have a deck shell in the "not really scrap-pile". Not sure what the rollers are like but I will pull it out this weekend and check. There may be a spindle too but I am not sure. Will let you know
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:27 PM

for the pullies, i ordered from wttool.com the weldapully and hub
pully 4054-0035 and hub 4046-0055,

rollers came from trailer parts super store part 5272032 2-1/2 x 12" yates straight roller #12243-4P
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Kenny, I might know some guy that has a lathe... And has done this before.... :)
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 06:34 AM

Is that the 50 inch deck Kenny? I have a deck shell in the "not really scrap-pile". Not sure what the rollers are like but I will pull it out this weekend and check. There may be a spindle too but I am not sure. Will let you know

It is a 42" cut, but the deck shell measures 50" across. Even if the rollers are a bit worn, they have to be better than mine. The ones that look decent on the outside have wallowed out inside holes. The pulley that failed was full of dirt and had rusted thru, so collapsed when pulling off. The hub is still okay and the pulley is staked on. Easy to remove the pulley and put a 'new' one on the hub.
Larry, I'll check that out and save the info for future use. If Greg doesn't have good parts, I'll need to look elsewhere.
Keith, I'll keep that in mind also.
I won't have an update today. Full day at work. Going to finish the TV Station job, then up to the lake cabin to install a garbage disposal.
I did get the top side sprayed with the Rustoleum Rust Reformer paint. It won't win any prizes on looks, but should mow decent. I had one spindle that is a bit noisy, but they have grease zerks. I'll squirt a little in there and see what happens. I did flood it with PB Blaster which seemed to help. I have to make a couple plates to add where the spindles bolt up, metal is a bit weak there from rust. These will be on top, so won't change cutting plane. I'll have to cut them with a jig saw to make them round. Picked up some 22 gauge metal to make them from.
I will need to rework the front roller supports, holes are a bit wallowed out and have had pieces welded on before. I'll take those pieces off and use some 1/4" plate to fix. A bit longer shaft, but they need replaced anyway.
Rear roller shaft is bent, don't know if I can straighten it. But I'll try. I know a fellow with a big torch to help with that.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well, i got home early enough to do something, BUT I have been in AC all day. It's 103 in the shade with very little air movement. I'll wait til morning to do more. I did get the pieces layed out for the spindle hole reinforcement. I'll cut them in the morning, then I can figure where the center hole will be for the spindles. They are offset to the OD. I have to make a .125 thick washer that has a 3/4" hole, but only 1-1/4" OD for one of the bushings. I'll get a pic showing this. It will have to be split in half and tack welded back in place. Lowes 3/4" washers have about a 2" OD and are too thick.

#15 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Bad news Kenny, there's no rear rollers or bar at all, it has both front rollers (Not sure how good I didnt un-bury it yet) and the left spindle (not sure if even turns), other than that just a shell I guess. If you need the rollers or spindle I will get it out tomorrow and see how they look.
  • KennyP said thank you