8 replies to this topic

#1 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Does anyone have a sample of a waiver used at a plow day? I need to provide our sponsor something.

Thanks,
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 06:20 PM

We don't have a specific release at our events, but require all participants to be members of the club. This is a helpful little end around as by being a member of an organization, you would be trying to sue "yourself" and that's not legally acceptable.

I found a decently written release in a search. With a little rewording and the inclusion of "Sponsors" in the people that are to be held blameless, it sounds like it would pass muster.

http://www.abac.edu/...Waiver Form.pdf

I might try to reword it so that one signature would include "all members of my party" or something like that. That way you don't have to fill out one for each person
  • AverageJoe, middleageddeere and IamSherwood have said thanks

#3 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, that looks like a good start.
I think the reason the sponsor is so interested in one is the fact that for this event we'll have a lot of non-tractor people spectating.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Drake, I did have several I had rounded up, but when my computer crashed, I hadn't done a backup in a while, so lost them.
  • AverageJoe said thank you

#5 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 02:29 PM

What sort of things are you considering Daniel? Any restrictions on age for plowing? I suppose you will need specific event insurance?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 02:36 PM

What sort of things are you considering Daniel? Any restrictions on age for plowing? I suppose you will need specific event insurance?

Just got to get to my insurance agent & speak with him about it. Our farm policy we have may cover us, but I'll know for sure when I speak with him.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:20 PM

At our events we do place age limits. Not mandatory from our Insurance Company, but we felt it was a good idea.
It's more wordy than this, but you could sum it up this way:
Under 12, observer only
12-16, participant with parent or guardian nearby.
16 up, Please be safe.
  • AverageJoe said thank you

#8 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 06:01 PM

A note on "liability waivers". In some states by having someone sign a waiver you are admitting to providing a dangerous activity. On doing so you open yourself to not only liability but legal obligation. For instance, what kind of protocol do you have in place to make sure the equipment being used is safe?

The best and safest way to protect yourself legally is with insurance. There are event policies out there for just this type of thing. I would even go beyond liability and provide participant coverage. We do this with the mower racing,many guys will balk at paying pit passes or registration fees, but they are happy to give up $5 to cover insurance cost.

• AverageJoe, MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#9 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 06:08 PM

A note on "liability waivers". In some states by having someone sign a waiver you are admitting to providing a dangerous activity. On doing so you open yourself to not only liability but legal obligation. For instance, what kind of protocol do you have in place to make sure the equipment being used is safe?

The best and safest way to protect yourself legally is with insurance. There are event policies out there for just this type of thing. I would even go beyond liability and provide participant coverage. We do this with the mower racing,many guys will balk at paying pit passes or registration fees, but they are happy to give up $5 to cover insurance cost.

Both good points!
I do have a line in the Plow Day rules which reads any tractor or plower deemed unsafe to plow will not be allowed to do so. The sponsor has us in as part of an existing event anyway, so the insurance is there.
  • MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plow day