#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 03:16 PM

My FIL started offroading back about 15 years ago and when he did he alwasy took my wife with him. We met about 8 years ago and of course I caught the bug. When we were dating I bought an old Jeep Cherokee off of a guy that had drove it hot and blew a head gasket. The engine was toast so I put some elbow grease into it and we ended up daily driving and wheeling that jeep for about 6 years.

Posted Image

Fast forward about 4 years and we have beaten the poor cherokees unibody to death and we are expecting our second baby. I convince my wife that if I don't commit to building a decent rig in the remaining 6 months of her pregnancy that it will end up taking me years to get it built. See build pic's:
http://s448.photobuc...bkmac/TJ Build/

Fast forward another year and you see samples of the never-really-completed-finished jeep:

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are from May when we took the oldest on her first wheeling trip:
Posted Image

She had a BLAST!

Posted Image
  • Sawdust said thank you

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Nice Jeep and the daughter is a cute little pumpkin :thumbs:

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Cool pictures! That is an interesting hobby. My Nephew, got started about 12 yrs ago racing and building radio control cars and crawlers. That evolved into Crawling with a Blazer and now to a home built Crawler.

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 04:41 PM

The guy i work with does it with a yota tacoma. He stays on the bunny trails because it can get expensive quickly. He heads upyour way twice a year with his ttora group and they always have a great time. i cant think of the town he goes to in KY but they cater to the crawling crowd.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Neat pictures :thumbs: Glad to see your family enjoying it too ,Al

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Thanks guys. It really is a family activity for us and I hope we are able to continue doing it for years to come.

Nice Jeep and the daughter is a cute little pumpkin

LOL, that’s actually what I call her... she was born with a big head just like I've got.

The guy i work with does it with a yota tacoma. He stays on the bunny trails because it can get expensive quickly. He heads upyour way twice a year with his ttora group and they always have a great time. i cant think of the town he goes to in KY but they cater to the crawling crowd.

Yeah government catering to offroaders is a rare thing. Us wheelers have a target on our back due to environmentalists thinking that we cause ridiculous amounts of erosion. Those same “environmentalists” neglect to admit that acres of trees and wildlife habitat were destroyed when the subdivision they live in was built… because they know better than everyone else… Anyway there is a town called Harlan and the county government controls a large plot of land that is called Black Mountain Offroad Area. It's a great set up since the people that are affected by the hobby (eg: local businesses) are the ones that control the place. Okay, I’ll get off of my soapbox now.

Edited by twostep, July 12, 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#7 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'd love to do this, but there's so many things on our wish list that I doubt it'll ever reach the top :(
Looks like you guys are having a great time at it!

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yep Harlan, thats it. Beutiful place from the pics he has shown me. The other thing about the pics is that everyone is smiling and having a great time doing it.
  • twostep said thank you

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'd love to do this, but there's so many things on our wish list that I doubt it'll ever reach the top :(
Looks like you guys are having a great time at it!

I hear you, but I am just thankful every day that I get to enjoy some of the things on our "would love to do" list!!

Yep Harlan, thats it. Beutiful place from the pics he has shown me. The other thing about the pics is that everyone is smiling and having a great time doing it.

Yeah Harlan is pretty well known in the offroading community, both the ATV and the full size rig groups. It's a really fun hobby. Most wheeling clubs are very family oriented (not all, but most) and a lot of wheelers bring thier wives and kids.

Also if you are like me and you love to fabricate and play, it's the best of both worlds... I got to build my jeep and now I get to wheel it. I intentionally built it strong enough that I wouldn't have to worry too much about breaking parts... which leaves me time to add and little details here and there.

Every fall we go to an event called Dixie Run and it's always a blast. Camp out for a week and wheel every day. The weather is usually perfect for a good campfire. Here is a link to a thread for from last year's trip: http://www.pirate4x4...d.php?t=1012272

Edited by twostep, July 13, 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Loaded up and heading out on a week long camping/wheeling trip with the family. You all have a good week!

IMG_5328.JPG

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Have a fun trip! Get some pics! :camera:

#12 kwj427 OFFLINE  

kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 01:29 PM

that looks like fun,i have an old ih scout II. nowhere near as nice as your rig.
  • twostep said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thsoe are some cool pics, nice rigs. I started to get into offroading with my Jeep buddies, but only have my daily driver and after I popped a rear window lose in Tahoe with body flex, I bowed out. I stuck to milder stuff as mine is pretty much stock.

I had a jeep buddy roll his lifted Liberty at Livingston, he ended up upside down in a creek, he got real lucky.

Been down to S-Tree out of Berea on dirt bikes years ago, now I'm getting too old for those. I would like to go to dirty turtle by racetrack or Bills off road, but no one to go with.

Here is a video and some pics from Haspin Acres up in SE Indiana.

th_017.jpg

tahoe1.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#14 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thsoe are some cool pics, nice rigs. I started to get into offroading with my Jeep buddies, but only have my daily driver and after I popped a rear window lose in Tahoe with body flex, I bowed out. I stuck to milder stuff as mine is pretty much stock.

I had a jeep buddy roll his lifted Liberty at Livingston, he ended up upside down in a creek, he got real lucky.

Been down to S-Tree out of Berea on dirt bikes years ago, now I'm getting too old for those. I would like to go to dirty turtle by racetrack or Bills off road, but no one to go with.

Here is a video and some pics from Haspin Acres up in SE Indiana.

th_017.jpg

tahoe1.jpg

That is a nice looking rig you drive. I don't think the video came through though.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the photos.