• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Wow DS, i'v kinda got the same problem as you with my 1620 Cub Cadet. Starts right up and go mow but don't shut her off or you will wait 1hr or wait till next day to go again. Got its own mind if you know what i mean. I did the whole saftey switch thing and still does what it wants to. Talked to my Cub dealer about it and he says its my coil but not sold on that idea yet. I have a 20 amp. inline fuse behind the dash that blows, change it out and sometimes it will fire and sometimes not. Got me pulling what hair i have left out. Btw i have the same 16 hp kohler magnum twin as you do. I'll be watching to see if you solve our problem. Randy G. :mad2:

#17 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 12:17 PM

fabman sounds like you may have a short someplace if you keep blowing the fuse. my fuse dont blow, i wish thats what my problem was. this problem shouldnt be this hard to figure out or at least i wouldnt thing so.

can anyone tell me who make the oem ignition module for this motor? is it stens?

Edited by dogsoldier, July 19, 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#18 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 12:59 PM

one other thought..... would it make a difference if the ignition switch that im using is out of a tractor that was not a electronic ignition? just a thought.

#19 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 01:53 PM

one other thought..... would it make a difference if the ignition switch that im using is out of a tractor that was not a electronic ignition? just a thought.

Yes, it could. You aren't putting 12v on the kill wire with the switch you have, are you? That will kill an electronic ignition real quick! If you put the new coil on without any wires hooked up, then the switch wouldn't matter.

#20 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Yes, it could. You aren't putting 12v on the kill wire with the switch you have, are you? That will kill an electronic ignition real quick! If you put the new coil on without any wires hooked up, then the switch wouldn't matter.

thanks doug, i just checked and its still ground. if i would have thought the question thru i would have remembered that it started with the old ignition module on. for some reason it wont start with the new ones on.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 05:10 PM

DS, I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying with the ign switch. With the key on, no 12 at wire to mag, with key off, shorted to ground. Sorry to rehash, just verification.

#22 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 05:20 PM

correct, with key on ,no 12 to coil thru kill wire

#23 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 09:46 AM

correct, with key on ,no 12 to coil thru kill wire

With the key on, there should be no continuity to ground also. That should only happen with the key off.

#24 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:08 AM

ok i was confused for a bit.
i went out and with the test lite grounded to the kill wire . i put the other end on the + side of the battery. with key off it lit up and key on it didnt.

anyone know who makes the OEM ignition module? is it stens?