Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bolens 1250 On Ebay!

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  MailmAn 
#1 ·
Just saw this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-1250-Bolens-lawn-tractor-w-mower-deck-tiller-snow-thrower-/170874150070?pt=Powersport_Everything_Else&hash=item27c8e49cb6

It is a 1967 Bolens 1250 and the guy lives like RIGHT NEXT TO ME! I could pick this all up in a heartbeat. What do you think it's worth though in non-running condition? It comes with what looks to be a 42" deck (with some rust outs), a sno-caster, and a tiller attachment. It has one bid on it for $275. It does look to have a nice newer looking seat on it. It appears to be a hydrostatic to me, but I could be wrong. I also don't see a lift lever on it - could it have hydraulic lift on it as well? Dang, I wish I could afford this, and I already have an 850 I'm working on... I don't really have room for TWO tractors. I supposed I could re-sell some of the attachments I don't need (like the tiller) or just work on restoring it completely and end up selling one of them. What do you guys think?

Here are some re-posted photos from the auction too so you can take a look at it:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Seen this thing the other day, not to bad of tractor, plus you get all the attachments. Just wish it were closer to me. I wouldn't think it would be to much work to get it going again. If its close to you I'd contact the seller to see if you could take a look at it to see if its complete. It should have hydro lift on it. The nice thing about GTs they are small enough to packem in your shed (so you can have more than one). I'd go for it if they're that close to you. Good luck

#4 ·
All large frames are hydros.
Looks to be a 1250-01 or a early 1250-02.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh, is this a large-frame tractor? For some reason I thought it was a tube-frame tractor. Shows what I know! From what I've seen of the large frames, they are considerably larger than the tube-frames. Maybe this won't fit in the back of my truck after all...

Oh, and does it make it worth any more money being a large frame vs. a tube frame tractor?

#6 ·
I think it would be a good buy even up to around $500. If you can get it cheaper I would go for it if you can swing it. It looks complete. Might o lay need the battery charged and a simple Carb cleaning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: MailmAn
#8 ·
Whats your truck?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
1996 Chevy C1500 W/T. Here is a(n albeit old) photo of it:

The Bolens 850 fit in the bed perfectly in-between the wheel wells with the 38" deck. I'd imagine a 42" deck would not fit between the wheel wells.

Of course if it doesn't run, it will make it very hard to push up ramps into the bed as well...
Luckily, I happen to have a Class 4 trailer hitch on my truck! Unfortunately, I don't happen to have a trailer handy that I could use to pick it up with either...

#13 ·
I got that same truck in white here at the farm
Yeah, it's been a great truck. My dad bought it brand-new in 1996 and he gave it to me when he bought his current Dodge Ram in 2004 and I've been keeping it running ever since. It's got over 267,000+ miles on it currently and still going strong! It's a 2 wheel drive with the original 4.3L V6. Hell, I just finally replaced all 4 original front ball joints at 245,000 miles - they were never changed and still had the factory riveted in upper ball joints! I couldn't believe it! Of course, the truck has an air compressor and air tank in it now with a Grover air horn hooked up to it and Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks in the back to assist the aging leaf springs... It was a neat install I have to say!

#12 ·
You can get the tractor in that truck we have a 1991 chevy but fitting every thing else is the next thing...
A trailer would be your best bet.

#15 ·
Really? That's good to know. I would have figured they were way too expensive to bother with. I was considering renting the big enclosed U-Haul trailer with dual axles to try and load the tractor into, IF I actually decide to try and buy it. (Which I still haven't decided if I should spend the money or not...) It would be MUCH easier to push an inoperative tractor up the tiny incline into a low-to-the-ground trailer than up into the high-off-the-ground bed of my truck!

Of course, part of what I'm mulling over now is that IF I did buy this, I'd have to rent a 10x10 storage unit at least to throw it in for the time being until I was done working on my 850 as I have no room for it (and all the attachments) at my place right now... Is it worth spending most likely at least $300 (as I'd assume the current bidder probably bid more than $275 for it already) for this only to spend another $80-$100/month just to store it for most likely at least a month, if not two?

Hmmmm... Maybe my friends are right... am I turning into a HOARDER!?!? Call A&E! Report me!

#16 ·
Oh well... I guess this just wasn't meant to be mine then!
It had 2 bids on it and was currently at $280 (The first bidder must have only bid $275 on it). So, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring and see if I could pick the whole shebang up "cheap". I guess not. I put my limit at $350 MAX and it is now sitting at $355 bid after I got automatically outbid several times. Oh well... I still have my hands full just getting the 850 finished... Maybe it's for the best if I don't get another tractor right now?
(<-- Since I can't find a shrugging smiley...)

#17 ·
Sorry to hear that, but now you got time to add on to the garage (for more room) before you find your next one

Reactions: MailmAn
#19 ·
But now you got time to add on to the garage (for more room) before you find your next one!
Yeah, and to think I had that in mind for quite some time, ever since last year when I ended up buying two jukeboxes... I figured I needed some more space to store and work on everything then! Now I'll REALLY need some space for the tractors!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.