jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 01:32 PM

I've been having troubles adjusting my originals governor correctly to get a good range of speed with the throttle. I've followed the kohler manual to the letter and am having trouble. It will speed up to about a high idle and them, with just a little more throttle, will speed away erratically. I'm usually pretty good with these so this has me frustrated. Any ideas?

#2 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 04:39 PM

I am going to take a guess and say that probably something inside the motor is broken. Maybe the weights on the gov. gear have let loose or maybe the actuator arm on the cross shaft.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 05:48 PM

I think Kelly nailed it. Sure sounds like the internals if nothing else has changed. All springs there and where they should be?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Check all the linkage for slack and wear. If something is sticking or has a lot of slop in it you can get some strange behaviour. I recently fixed up a 3.5hp tecumseh on a tiller that was acting really strange. I traced the problem to a worn lever in the linkage that was making it impossible for me to adjust it. Once I had that tightened up I was able to make the necessary adjustments and got it working properly. I hope it's not something internal!

#5 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:24 PM

The throttle shaft was bent at first causing it to stick. I got it straitened out and seems to turn well. Im pretty sure I checked the gear when I tore it down and know I would have addressed it if it was a problem. The cable is a little sticky so that may be a route I take. Maybe for now though, since it won't be doing much work, I'll set it at high idle and puts around slowly. Thanks for the thoughts.