Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Q Bond Adhesive


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

    GT Tinkerer

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts
  • Location: Mancelona, MI

Posted July 11, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Q Bond adhesive?

I saw it in the parts store today and came home and did a Yahoo search. This you tube video show a salesman using it and it looks like it works but so do the aluminum repair rods on you tube. Here is the link:

My biggest concern is the 10 to 12 second set up time. Be fine if it was just a glue job but with s part that has to be attached it could be a problem.

Thanks,
Bill

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts
  • Location: Eastern SD.

Posted July 11, 2012 - 04:03 PM

We used to do basically the same thing with baking soda and thin super glue. Gets extremely hard when cured. Just push the baking soda into the crack or corner and drip the thin super glue onto the soda until it is saturated. Wait a few seconds until hard and your done.
I would imagine that there are other compounds in the Q-Bond but the baking soda will work in a pinch.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

    Proud to be Deplorable

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts
  • Location: N. W. PA

Posted July 11, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Looks interesting, but I wonder how long the repair would hold. In the case of the o ring, you want it to be flexible and not "hammer on it" hard

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:11 PM

I know that loctite used to make an o ring kit that included o ring stock in various diameters, a cutter and a bottle of adhesive. You could use the kit to make any sized o rings you wanted. The adhesive seemed to work fine. This was years ago and I don't know if it's still available.

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted July 13, 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hummm . I never knew that a distributor cap attached to the engine block. I always thought they attached to the distributor. Learn something new all the time. :rolleyes:

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

    GT Tinkerer

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts
  • Location: Mancelona, MI

Posted July 13, 2012 - 01:00 PM

I bought the four bottle kit at the local parts store for $15 and yesterday used JB Weld to attach a piece of angle iron to cover the hole in the Sears Rotospade I bought for parts. I am going to let the JB Weld cure for a couple of days and the use the Q Bond to go around the outside of the patch to hopefully reinforce enough to keep a rock from pulling the patch off. I did use a cut off wheel to rough up the aluminum housing and steel patch to get a bigger surface area.

Bill

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts
  • Location: Eastern SD.

Posted July 13, 2012 - 01:28 PM

If the Q bond turns out to be anything near as good as JB Weld it will be a classic in time. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.




Top