Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens Reproduction Decals - Experiences?

bolens 850 decals

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 10:05 PM

So... I'm taking it no one can help out on any of these decals then? For one, I guess I'll just make up a serial number for my mower deck... But no one has a better shot of the air filter decal either?

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

#32 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Does anyone have a good, readable Model/Serial Number decal on a 38" mower deck that I can get the numbers off of?

I think I know why you are not getting any responses.

There were 6 different model 38" mower decks used on tube-frame tractors.

The model numbers were: # 18415, #18416, #18417, #18418, #18446, & #18449.

If you go through the Bolens manuals of the tube-frame attachments, you may be able to match your mower up to either the model #18446 or #18449. .....The other models had wheels & a roller, and used a later-style lift linkage.

Both the 18446 & 18449 models could have a -01 or -02 suffix.

I don't remember (CRS) if the mower decks had serial numbers assigned. .....Someone else will clarify that.

#33 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Sorry I'm so late to respond to this. Haven't been online much this week.
Corey at click it and stick it already has those ID decals made up.... Just tell him what you want the numbers to read. I dont think I would just randomly make up a model and serial number If I didn't know the exact numbers.
Are you going to repaint the white deck before you put the decals on or leave it white :confuse:

#34 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 08:48 AM

There were 6 different model 38" mower decks used on tube-frame tractors.

The model numbers were: # 18415, #18416, #18417, #18418, #18446, & #18449.

Both the 18446 & 18449 models could have a -01 or -02 suffix.

Yes, I have narrowed mine down enough to know that it is a 18446 model 38" deck. I am pretty sure that mine is the 18446-02 deck. (The only difference between the 01 and 02 deck were evidently the number of teeth in the differential housing on the deck? That's what it says in the parts manual anyways. The 01 deck was earlier [probably 1966-67] but by 1968 at least they were using the 02 deck.) It is VERY hard to read as well, but I can just make out what looks to be a number "2" at the end of my model number, so I'm pretty sure it is a 18446-02 deck.

That is a good point, I'm not sure either if Bolens assigned serial numbers to mower decks. IDK why they WOULDN'T though either, especially since all of their tags have room for a model and serial number.

Corey at click it and stick it already has those ID decals made up.... Just tell him what you want the numbers to read. I dont think I would just randomly make up a model and serial number If I didn't know the exact numbers.
Are you going to repaint the white deck before you put the decals on or leave it white :confuse:

I don't want to just flat-out make up a serial number for my decal, but if I had an idea of the real serial number ranges at least (or had someone else's serial number to go from), I'd make up a different number from within that range so it at least looked close. Otherwise, I have nothing to go off of the old decal that is on there. The numbers are all pretty well worn off.

I was planning on leaving the deck white since I already re-painted it white. Plus, I already started using it (despite the lack of decals), so I'd have to strip it all back down again anyways to re-paint it green. I know white isn't the original color and I know you're wondering why I care about having original-looking decals on a very non-original colored deck, but I'm just weird like that... :wacko: IDK... Besides, despite the obvious appearance of green paint at spots around the deck (especially underneath) when I was grinding it down for paint, the deck was re-painted white already when I bought it and I just liked the look of it like that as opposed to the green, so I went with it.

Corey doesn't have the air filter decal though made-up, so I still need a good photo and dimensions of that so he can make up one for the Wisconsin engines. Mine is too far gone.

Edited by MailmAn, August 14, 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#35 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Sorry I'm so late to respond to this. Haven't been online much this week.

...hope all is well Doc notice you hadn't been to active, praying for you in christ have a blessed day

Edited by goodnews, August 14, 2012 - 09:16 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#36 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Actually, scrap what I said earlier... lol! :brain_fart: I just looked through a couple of manuals on the mower decks and with the way the runners on mine look, I'd say it is actually a 18449 deck, and not the 18446. However, it is still the -02 deck, not a -01 deck. Learn something new every day!! :booboo:

#37 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:34 AM

...hope all is well Doc notice you hadn't been to active, praying for you in christ have a blessed day

Thanks for the concern, everything is ok here. Just been busy working and then going to our county fair to watch over the Bolens in the evenings.

#38 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Well, despite no one getting back to me on the serial number for the mower deck, I finally got my order together from ClickitandStickit.com and it should be coming sometime next week. Can't wait to see how they came out!!! Now I just have to finish painting my tractor!! :rolleyes:

Still waiting to hear on that air cleaner decal though... anyone? Reminder of which decal I'm looking for a picture of:

WisconsinAirCleanerDecal_01.jpg

As you can see ,the one on my Wisconsin is pretty shot and hard to read the text off of it! If I ever get a design together for this and can submit it to Corey, then I can get this decal made up for my engine to replace the bad one that is there now. I got the rest of the decals for my 850 coming though already because I was sick of waiting for that air cleaner decal and figured I could get it later on when it gets sorted out...

#39 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:32 PM

I had a chance to check out my 2 38'' Decks today and the older style with the aluminum ID tag did not have a serial stamped in it.
Unfortunately the newer 38'' deck I had with the white vinyl tag was too worn to read so I am not sure if there was a serial number. Sorry I couldn't help, its something I should know but never really paid that much attention to on the decks :wallbanging:
If I were you I would leave the serial blank like I did with my EK deck that was too worn to read.

As for the air cleaner decal, the ones on mine are not much better than the one you have pictured.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#40 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Oh, yeah... BTW, I got all of the decals I ordered in the mail Monday afternoon!! I'd take some pics of them, but thought I should wait to take pics until they are on the tractor, unless there is a big desire by everyone to share pics of the decals as they came? Still have a lot of paint work yet before the tractor is ready for decals though, so that will have to wait for a while yet. I wanted to get some sanding done today, but my right shoulder and upper back have really been bothering me today for some reason, so I've been trying to take it easy. :( Hopefully I'll recoup soon and be in better shape... but unfortunately prolly just in time to go back to work and I STILL will have nothing more done on my tractor!! :wallbanging: Seems like that's the way my life has been going lately!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 850, decals