Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens Reproduction Decals - Experiences?

bolens 850 decals

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:21 AM

I did just look at his 850 decal and seen there was a couple decals missing. I will send him a email and see if he wants to add them to the set.

FYI - I have been working with Corey over at ClickItandStickIt.com to get some of these missing decals made up. I took some photos of the Hi/Lo range decal on my tractor (just about the ONLY decal left on there that was any decent) and sent it to him with some measurements. I also took detailed and thorough measurements of my 850's hood for the red stripe decal as well as sent him photos of many different tube frame tractors (some from this site and some I found on a Google image search) so he can get a good idea of how to make the Bolens red stripe decal for tube frame tractors. I hope some of Corey and my efforts will help out other Bolens enthusiasts in the future with accurate reproduction decals for their tractors.

Here is a photo of the Hi/Lo decal that I sent him:

Posted Image

I figured that it was approximately 1 3/8" wide and 1 5/8" tall. If anyone else has different measurements, let me know so I can fix it. (Mine is a little curled at the edges and looks to have some overspray on it. - I'm assuming from this [and some of the other missing decals] that the brown part of this tractor at least has been resprayed before?)
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 03:40 PM

FYI - I have been working with Corey over at ClickItandStickIt.com to get some of these missing decals made up. I took some photos of the Hi/Lo range decal on my tractor (just about the ONLY decal left on there that was any decent) and sent it to him with some measurements. I also took detailed and thorough measurements of my 850's hood for the red stripe decal as well as sent him photos of many different tube frame tractors (some from this site and some I found on a Google image search) so he can get a good idea of how to make the Bolens red stripe decal for tube frame tractors. I hope some of Corey and my efforts will help out other Bolens enthusiasts in the future with accurate reproduction decals for their tractors.

Here is a photo of the Hi/Lo decal that I sent him:

Posted Image

I figured that it was approximately 1 3/8" wide and 1 5/8" tall. If anyone else has different measurements, let me know so I can fix it. (Mine is a little curled at the edges and looks to have some overspray on it. - I'm assuming from this [and some of the other missing decals] that the brown part of this tractor at least has been resprayed before?)

I'll go out and have a look at my 850's Hi/Low decal and compare.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#18 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 07:55 PM

Is yours the original one as well, Dr. Bolens, or do you have a reproduction one?

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 06:39 AM

Is yours the original one as well, Dr. Bolens, or do you have a reproduction one?

My 850 Has all its original Decals. I didnt have a chance to look at it yesterday so I will try today.

#20 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:26 AM

Another question - I had been asked if the Bolens hood stripe decal is some type of reflective red (like a safety stripe decal)? I told him I'm pretty sure it is not, but the stripe on my hood was much too beat up to tell for sure. Does anyone know if the hood stripe is supposed to be reflective at all? Also, what color red is it? If someone has a good color sample to try and recreate the red for the decals, please send it along!

It seems odd to me, but on my hood at least, the area for the red stripe that goes around appears to be different widths as well? Can anyone else confirm this on their tube frame? It seems on the front grille part of my hood that the area for the stripe is about 3/4" wide, yet on the sides of the hood it appears to only be 1/2" wide. Is the original stripe only 1/2" wide or is it 3/4"? Either way it seems it wouldn't fit quite right and either overhang or not completely fill the gap on the hood. :confuse:

Edited by MailmAn, August 01, 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#21 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Also, here is the design for the Speed Ranges decal so far. Looks great to me!! What do you guys think?

Posted Image
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Looks Great!

I haven't had a chance to look at the one on my 850 as it is parked behind all the restored stuff thats in the way :wallbanging:
  • MailmAn said thank you

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:06 AM

Another question - I had been asked if the Bolens hood stripe decal is some type of reflective red (like a safety stripe decal)? I told him I'm pretty sure it is not, but the stripe on my hood was much too beat up to tell for sure. Does anyone know if the hood stripe is supposed to be reflective at all? Also, what color red is it? If someone has a good color sample to try and recreate the red for the decals, please send it along!

It seems odd to me, but on my hood at least, the area for the red stripe that goes around appears to be different widths as well? Can anyone else confirm this on their tube frame? It seems on the front grille part of my hood that the area for the stripe is about 3/4" wide, yet on the sides of the hood it appears to only be 1/2" wide. Is the original stripe only 1/2" wide or is it 3/4"? Either way it seems it wouldn't fit quite right and either overhang or not completely fill the gap on the hood. :confuse:

The red hood stripe is the same size/width all around.

Attached Thumbnails

• 11.jpg
  • bolens with deck 004.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#24 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:13 AM

The red hood stripe is the same size/width all around.

Do you know how wide it is then? Can you take a quick measurement off of one of your tractors to double-check? I figured about 3/4", which is what Corey has mocked-up. If it is only 1/2" wide though, he should probably change it... Is it the same color red as the "BOLENS 1050" hood side decals you have there? Or is it a touch darker? (Hard to tell in some pics...)

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:22 AM

The stripe measures 3/4'' wide
Its the same red as on the "Bolens" Decal
  • Bruce Dorsi and MailmAn have said thanks

#26 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:41 PM

Does anyone know if the hood stripe is supposed to be reflective at all?

The original stripes were NOT reflective.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#27 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I have used Maple Hunter on 3 of my Bolens restores so far. Overall the decals are very nice. Sometimes they are not exact but pretty close and for the money a good deal. The customer service has been outstanding for me. I have also used Sam's decals. His are top quality and exact match but twice the price of Maple Hunter.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#28 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Okay, so update on this... I think the Hi/Lo and stripe decals are all set. Just waiting for them to be posted on his site so I can buy them!! :D Here is the hood stripe:

BolensHoodStripe-ClickitandStickit.jpg

He decided that to make it easier it would be just one continuous stripe that you can cut to size to fit your tractor. It is the same length as the entire distance around the hood including the cut-out for the muffler, so there should be plenty of left over material to work with.

On another side note, the decal on my Wisconsin's air cleaner housing is pretty badly beaten up. I asked Corey if he had one already made up and he said he didn't. But mine is too far gone to decipher all of the text on it. Does anyone else have a better looking decal they can take a photo of so I can have him make up this decal as well? Then there is one more decal available for other people's restoration projects...

Here is the decal on my engine:

WisconsinAirCleanerDecal_01.jpg

WisconsinAirCleanerDecal_02.jpg

Thanks in advance for your guys' help!

Edited by MailmAn, August 10, 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#29 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Oh, and another question as well (I know, I'm full of them... :blush2: )... Does anyone have a good, readable Model/Serial Number decal on a 38" mower deck that I can get the numbers off of? I'd like to get a new decal made up for mine like the one Bolens 1000 had made up for his Estate Keeper deck. However, the numbers on my decal are all worn off so I can't read them. I DID manage to clean up the tag on my actual tractor enough to get the numbers off of it though, so I'm going to use them!!! :thumbs:

Here is what my deck decal looks like, so you know what I'm looking for:

Bolens38DeckSerial.jpg

Thanks again!

#30 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 10:31 AM

:anyone:

:poke:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 850, decals