• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well, the saga continues. She started & ran fine for a while today, then started stumbling, then just quit. Has spark, "seems" like plenty of compression, but won't fire at all now, even on a shot of starter fluid. Spark plug is fine. I'm pulling it completely down to check the flywheel key, and the piston/rings.

#32 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Daniel,
Before you pull it apart remove the muffler and try to start it, really sounds like the muffler could be full of carbon and since all engines are just air pumps if air isn't coming out none will get in.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, July 15, 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#33 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Took her all the way down. Rod/crank bearings, piston, cylinder all look great...BUT...the ring was stuck in the piston. No galling or anything else. Got the ring loose & off, then cleaned the groove. Put her back together & she runs like a champ! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: The ring wasn't worn either, almost a closed gap.
I also knew the clutch slipped bad, so had to take that off in the process. Someone has had it apart before & put the clutch shoes in backwards! She runs great, plus the clutch performs perfectly! Also, ever who was into it had put the air filter foam in wrong, so air was not getting filtered. Good thing the ring stuck so I didn't run it in dusty conditions.
Just 1hr to take her down & back to running. I've been using it several minutes before posting.

#34 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Glad to hear you got it up and running Daniel. Hopefully it won't give you any more trouble.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:10 AM

Good to hear it's behaving. Now go get to whacking.

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:41 AM

I gave up on mine, have 4! Don't use a gallon of gas mix a year. That's why I went the Ground Clear way. Lots cheaper than buying gas, mix, fuel lines,and string for them.

#37 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 11:01 AM

i have a ryobi that someone gave me 10 years ago and it still works great and was at least 2 or 3 years old then. if it ever dies im not sure what ill do, may go the chemical way then.

#38 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Used this weedeater for almost an hour today. Fired right up & working like new. Lots of power, NO clutch slippage, no problems at all. I guess the PO had been trying everything short of tearing the engine down, as everything else had been into. SO glad I took it down to the core yesterday evening. I was about to chuck the thing! GLAD that I didn't!

#39 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 05:24 AM

I bought a Worx with the lithium battery on Saturday. I never use two strokes enough to keep them from getting all gummed up (bought an electric chainsaw for the same reason) and a half hour cleaning them up to use them for 15 minutes seems silly.

I also know from my time at Makita that the new fuels don't get along well with two-strokes. I looked at some 4 strokes, but the good ones are pricey and the cheap ones had bad reviews, especially for starting. Mrs. Rev can use the battery-powered ones, but if something is hard to start she won't touch it. One thing I did find with the reviews is that the people who bought the drill start accessory with the Troy-Built gave it much better reviews. I wasn't willing to risk it though.

The thing is that I haven't had much luck with the battery powered ones either. I've burned out a motor (Canadian Tire model so no parts available) and killed batteries. We'll see what happens with the Worx...hopefully the lithium battery helps.

My BIL did take a defunct Weed Eater off my hands. Said he wants to make something with it. Fine with me...it needs new fuel lines to run for sure, and the shaft is bent so its weed whacking days are over anyway.