• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Had a Troybilt 4 stroke. Hard to get to fire, made 10x worse by their "easy crank" spring loaded pull rope system, which is pure crap. Had to pull the rope so many times to get the spring to even turn it over, to where I went through 2 ropes. Then bought a good used Homelite straight shaft model. Ran great the 2 or 3 times I used it, then turned dry & it sat. Wanted to whack down some weeds today, and now she won't run right. 1st it was running rich. Opened the jet & she ran great again. Started eating weeds, then lean, as the fuel line split. Got that back on, readjusted jetting, and sounding good. Eat weeds maybe one minute tops, and she just dies out. Not really sure what's wrong now.
Can't keep fuel lines on these things these days! Just about ready to go back to a hand cutter of some type! Guess it's time to replace fuel lines & filter. I may take it to a guy down the road. He does this on the side & keeps parts in stock. I am no good with these carbs, so best to take to someone that likes working on them........I sure don't!

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:37 AM

They are a pain in the butt to keep going right. That is why I finally gave in this year and bought the Stihl. I am sure it will still have issues with the crappy ethanol fuel but the one good thing is even with it being a four stroke it still uses the mixed gas and the oil mix treats the gas.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:39 AM

Those little engine sure can be a pain. Always something up with them.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:40 AM

My son bought a Stihl (2 stroke) thinking it would end the weedeater woes....but not at all. Same issues we all have. Years ago I had a little Homelite, and it ran for years. Finally it seized. The local guru in town talked me into that Optimol oil. Seized my only ever good weedeater tight as a drum at the end of the 1st tank full! NEVER will use the stuff again.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have a rechargeable for Teresa to use, and a heavy duty cord type. May just grab the extension cords & use the corded one. Lots of power, and when ya hit the button it's ready to go! It can handle fairly large stuff too. But where did I put it????????? :confuse:

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,655 Thanks
  • 7,679 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:43 AM

I got really tired of low budget weed whips. You can buy one good one for price of what you throw away. I finally got an Echo. It lasted for 4-5 years, then the carb went bad. My dealer told me to store it over the winter with Stihl premixed gas in it. It is 100% gas and oil. If you store it with an empty tank, the diaphragm will dry out.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:45 AM

I just bought a Stihl after beating on a cheapo Homelite for almost 15 years. At first the muffler plugged up from carbon, likely due to me running it on the rich side, and Monday it would plain not start. I think gas is the key with any small engine and I am fortunate to 87 octane 100% gasoline at my local service station.

I got really tired of low budget weed whips. You can buy one good one for price of what you throw away. I finally got an Echo. It lasted for 4-5 years, then the carb went bad. My dealer told me to store it over the winter with Stihl premixed gas in it. It is 100% gas and oil. If you store it with an empty tank, the diaphragm will dry out.

Good to know!

Edited by Trav1s, July 11, 2012 - 10:45 AM.

• KC9KAS said thank you

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:56 AM

OK I must be the odd man out... I have a 5-6 yr old cheapie Poulan throw away and that thing has never let me down. It hangs on the wall in the garage with 40-1 premix in it, hit the primer bulb a few times, and choke and it started 3rd pull after sitting all winter and spring...... does that every time. I know when it craps out its not worth paying to fix but as long as the carb is OK I have three others for parts to keep it going [all free from the dump metal pile] Oh well, after this post it'll probably be DOA..... :laughingteeth:

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 11:03 AM

PowerKing you are not the odd man out. I have a weedeater brand that I have been using for going on 11 years now. I have replaced the fuel lines twice and rebuilt the carb once. Like PK it sit's all winter and prime and choke it and it fires up.

Fuel line is cheap so when I replace fuel line I replace all of them. Quite often I will get one in where someone will replace a bad section of fuel line and use splices but never check inside the tank to see if the fuel line is still good in there. That feed line has to be at the bottom of the tank and a fuel filter installed.
  • powerking56 said thank you

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Went through a couple cheap Riobi ones before I gave up on them. My father had an old homelite from the early 80's that ran for 25 years before he sold it. He treated it like dirt and used motor oil for mix oil at times and it still just kept on running. I think the new ones put so much emphasis on being compact and light weight that they are compromising the reliability.

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 11:27 AM

LOL , I too have a cheapy poulan and it has not croked yet either, only complaint is the .065 string is USELESS!! I go through more string than I care to admit. But she runs soooo good!
And yes NEVER STORE A DIAPHRAGM CARB DRY ! Even the diaphragmed 4 strokes , it will shrink em up bad.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 11:41 AM

I use a new brand called Ground Clear! Spray it along the fence row and forget until next year. :bigrofl:

#13 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have a cheap old McCulloh weed wacker I picked up at TSC about 5 yrs ago and haven't had a bit of trouble except for the head which I replaced after the 2nd use. Don't really care for those bump heads anyway. That is the only thing I have that is 2 cycle so when I run it out of fuel I fill it back up with straight gas and add 2 cycle oil till the gas turns light blue and give her a good shaking and good to go. I know I know I'm bad.

#14 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have an Echo string trimmer and an Echo blower. Both are around 9 years old. I replace plugs every other year and use a bit of Seafoam in every gallon of 2 stroke I mix. I've had good luck with Seafoam in all my small engines and believe it helps keep the carbs clean as well as clean up the carbon buildup. It usually takes 3 to 5 pulls before they fire, but the always do.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I bought a Homelite 2 yrs ago and while it is a pain to start first time in the season it's still running good.
I bought a new Stihl Chainsaw last summer(think I posted about my temper tantrum with the old Homelite saw). Incidently I have not even looked at the Homelite since, probably should?
I bit on the extended warranty if I used Stihl oil. And since I'm not keeping two cans of mix around I'm using the same mix for both.
But Daniel, I agree that Weed Eaters and Chansaws are High Maintenence and agrevating tools.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 11, 2012 - 01:06 PM.