Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:22 PM

Well I had a nice treat today. Having a shop you sometimes get to go to a customers place to fix on something. Went to a guys place where he used to be a Bolens dealer from the 50s to the late 80s to put a door glass in a pickup. Done work for him in the past and looked at a few things he had left from the dealership. Its always fun to BS with someone that sold things years ago that your interested in today. Today I asked him if we could do some horse trading for the work done, he agreed and let me go look though the old parts room to see if anything would interest me. Sadly didn't find much left ( due to a fire in the late 70s) that was of use to me, but he had a H14 still sitting there that I talked to him about 3 years ago and didn't want to sell it. So I asked how much today and he said $450. It supossibly has real low hours on it, just used it a few years to cut grass around the shop. Didn't snope around it to much (so it wouldn't seem was real intrested), but looked like a 42" deck on it. He said it still runs and the hydro works good to. Is $450 to much for it? Haven't paid that much attention to the newer tube frames.

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:31 PM

Well I had a nice treat today. Having a shop you sometimes get to go to a customers place to fix on something. Went to a guys place where he used to be a Bolens dealer from the 50s to the late 80s to put a door glass in a pickup. Done work for him in the past and looked at a few things he had left from the dealership. Its always fun to BS with someone that sold things years ago that your interested in today. Today I asked him if we could do some horse trading for the work done, he agreed and let me go look though the old parts room to see if anything would interest me. Sadly didn't find much left ( due to a fire in the late 70s) that was of use to me, but he had a H14 still sitting there that I talked to him about 3 years ago and didn't want to sell it. So I asked how much today and he said $450. It supossibly has real low hours on it, just used it a few years to cut grass around the shop. Didn't snope around it to much (so it wouldn't seem was real intrested), but looked like a 42" deck on it. He said it still runs and the hydro works good to. Is $450 to much for it? Haven't paid that much attention to the newer tube frames.

if its a one owner unit and a display model and almost mint condition i may consider 450 but if its your average Joe blow h14 i would offer less just remember that you can always talk up NOT down also IMO its fun to run a hydro
cheers
Tyler
  • Nato77 said thank you

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:41 PM

The thing that interested me most was that it has the hydro lift. My tiller's getting heavier every time I lift it. I'll stop back and talk to him in a couple days to feel him out a little more, maybe see if I can get a couple of pics.

Edited by Nato77, July 10, 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 06:36 AM

If its as nice as it seems $450 would be a reasonable offer
  • Nato77 said thank you

#5 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:12 AM

offer him 400 and bring it home you'll both be happy. in Christ John 3:5

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Sadly didn't find much left ( due to a fire in the late 70s) that was of use to me

I was just going to ask how much he had left in Bolens parts. Too bad it sounds like a fire destroyed most of his older parts inventory. There still might be some parts I'm looking for that will fit my Bolens 850. (Most importantly, if I get a snowblower, I need the mount for it and a U-Joint and probably a few other bits and pieces...) You could ask him if he has anything left that would work for a 1966-1968 Bolens 850 if you're going back for the H14 anyways, worst he can say is no. Of course, he'd have to ship anything I bought from him...

#7 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:05 AM

He doesn't have much tube frame parts left, thats kinda what I was after. But has a few parts (seals, spider gears, few stacks of mower blades,misc) that don't wear out that often. He was a farm supply store, seed dealer, grain elevator, and a dealer for Long brand tractors plus a repair shop. So his parts room is all mixed up with parts for this and that, plus there is about 25 years of dust covering everything. Looking though the parts I seen he had a couple of nos ptos for GTs in the 80s, they were a greenish color with a real fine spline, one had a part# the other didn't. I'll check those out a little more when I go back. Don't want to get to nosey, but I'll keep looking through his parts to see what I can find.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#8 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:32 PM

He doesn't have much tube frame parts left, thats kinda what I was after. But has a few parts (seals, spider gears, few stacks of mower blades,misc) that don't wear out that often. He was a farm supply store, seed dealer, grain elevator, and a dealer for Long brand tractors plus a repair shop. So his parts room is all mixed up with parts for this and that, plus there is about 25 years of dust covering everything. Looking though the parts I seen he had a couple of nos ptos for GTs in the 80s, they were a greenish color with a real fine spline, one had a part# the other didn't. I'll check those out a little more when I go back. Don't want to get to nosey, but I'll keep looking through his parts to see what I can find.

the NOS blade are not cheep i thing sonny sells them for $30-$40 per blade also some of the bolens ptos are NLA any thing in parts are worth money
  • Nato77 said thank you

#9 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:44 AM

I think for a average cared for H16 with deck only $450 is a little high, though if it is low hours and well kept $450 is cheap!!!
  • Nato77 said thank you