#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Well, I have been tearing into a 1974 JD 112 electric lift. I have removed all the sheet metal. Pulled the engine. Soaked the rest in Simple Green and started working on some of the rust. No major rust, just surface with a little pitting. As Iook at it I wonder, how much more should I tear it down? I'm gonna remove the wheels for paint with the sheet metal. I'm border line into a complete restore but really had no intention. This thing is gonna work not show. What would you guys do? Nothing is broke just needs lubed and cleaned. I want to paint the frame but honestly not the underside. I don't know if I want to tear more into it. I guess I'm getting anxious knowing that this thing could work now but I want it to look good also. When do I stop? Not really looking for the "its your tractor" answer. Just looking for opinions.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:23 PM

We'd really need some pics to give a true opinion. But I will say one thing without pics.....once you paint one part, then the other parts don't look nearly as good as they did before, so you just keep on prepping & painting. Well, that's how it usually goes with me anyway.
  • dropped82 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:42 PM

On my SS12, I repainted all the white, but the Orange I cleaned. This was basically a touch-up as she works for a living, but I wanted it to look decent when she does go out on the town.

With yours being almost all one color, it will be a visible difference in the paints, but if it's a worker, it may not matter that much.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:50 AM

It's hard to draw that line and it really depends on what you will be happy with afterwards. Will you care if parts of the tractor look well used and the rest looks new? Myself, I don't like rust but stopped short of totally restoring my JD314 last year, concentrating on repainting the rusty stuff and repairing all the broken and worn out bits. It's a worker so it doesn't have to be in new condition but needs to be reliable and not be rusting away. That's my preference and yours may be different.

#5 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 01:43 PM

It being a worker is exactly why I asked. I guess I don't really want to take all the linkages and lift out to paint them. Its going to work and those will not stay like they are. I guess once I lifted the engine and was looking at the frame I questioned if I should strip it the rest way down and paint the whole thing or just paint the outside of it. Surprisingly any and all rust is on the top. When I sprayed it with the pressure washer the bottom was in good shape from all the grease and gunk on it. Almost acted like a barrier. What lube would be good to spray on the parts that I can't grease? I thought about rubbing some grease on there but was worried about the grass and dirt sticking. My other tractor is a '61 Springfield so there is a lot less to it lol.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 01:58 PM

My Massey MF12G has been a worker all of it's time that I have owned it. During the time though I have slowly been working on different things that need attention. As I would do each item I would sand it down and repaint it. Some parts look nice and others are still in their old work clothes. I think they look alright in their mixed bag especially if it is a worker. The new paint helps preserve them a little longer until possibly down the road you might decide to restore it.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:41 PM

I probably shouldn't be giving you any advice, because I'm anal. I've been in the same boat, that
you're in now. I just kept on going, and before I could say "where are my white gloves", it turned
into a total retore. I find it rewarding, but in the end, I have a machine, that;s too nice to put
back into the work force. Be carefull, you don't get caught in that trap.

#8 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:48 PM

It being a worker is exactly why I asked. I guess I don't really want to take all the linkages and lift out to paint them. Its going to work and those will not stay like they are. I guess once I lifted the engine and was looking at the frame I questioned if I should strip it the rest way down and paint the whole thing or just paint the outside of it. Surprisingly any and all rust is on the top. When I sprayed it with the pressure washer the bottom was in good shape from all the grease and gunk on it. Almost acted like a barrier. What lube would be good to spray on the parts that I can't grease? I thought about rubbing some grease on there but was worried about the grass and dirt sticking. My other tractor is a '61 Springfield so there is a lot less to it lol.

Anything that I can't grease and that is still in need of a little lube, a apply a liberal dose of Silicone Spray. Keeps things moving freely and doesn't attract the grass and dirt, the way oil and grease do.

Edited by dave8338, July 11, 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#9 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I appreciate everyone's advice. I took a break from it today to figure out what I'm going to do. I have some silicone spray so I will put it to good use. The different perspectives are exactly what I need to see where I'm trying to go with this. This tractor has a lot of working years ahead of it. I am really thinking about making it my primary mowing and plowing unit since it has the electric lift. Every other machine I've had is manual lift so you could imagine how much time I spent raising and lowering it before I tore it down lol. I've actually considered honing and putting in new rings for my own piece of mind. I don't know yet.