#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 09:38 PM

I noticed the antifreeze level on my tractors overflow bottle slowly going down,over the last 2 mths. I haven't seen any leaks anywhere on the floor or any of the hoses I'll need to pull the heater box apart and check to see if the heater core is leaking?.I'am hoping its a water pump leaking and not the head gasket or head.There's 1800 hrs on the motor.3 cylinder diesel.Guess I'll have to really start checking it out now that I had to add antifreeze today to the bottle beacause after cutting grass today I noticed the over flow bottle was only 1/4 left.Being a Diesel I can't pull a spark plug to check to see if there's antifreeze on one of the plugs.What can I do to see if I have a leaking head or gasket .Larry

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:04 PM

Diesel illiterate here, but can you pull the injectors to check compression?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 05:07 AM

Sorry to hear that. Do you smell Anti freeze from the engine compartment when you shut the tractor down? Sometimes combustion gases will be bubbling through the overflow jug if the HG is leaking. You will smell the AF vapour and also a black film will coat the inside of the jug. If you see this black film it's a sign there could be a leak. It could also be burning it which I think is harder to detect when in small amounts.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 05:54 AM

Stupid question, because you've probably been checking engine oil and would have
noticed it.

Is the engine oil level staying the same?

Edited by IamSherwood, July 11, 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:27 AM

Sorry to hear that. Do you smell Anti freeze from the engine compartment when you shut the tractor down? Sometimes combustion gases will be bubbling through the overflow jug if the HG is leaking. You will smell the AF vapour and also a black film will coat the inside of the jug. If you see this black film it's a sign there could be a leak. It could also be burning it which I think is harder to detect when in small amounts.

I was also thinking that it may be burning it seeing its such a small amount.I'll do a leak down test today to see if hopefully I can find any external leaks.

Stupid question, because you've probably been checking engine oil and would have
noticed it.

Is the engine oil level staying the same?

Engine oil stays the same if I leave it for a few days I'll pull the oil plug and see if any antifreeze is in the oil pan.

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:46 AM

I have a small yanmar tractor. It consumes about about a half of a overflow bottle of antifreeze about every 6 months. I talked to a yanmar guru who has worked on them for 30 years....he told me he had a personal tractor that did that as well. His response was as long as the tractor was running well (no loss of power).....he did not see any reason to go into the motor. (he did not sell me the tractor and I only bought parts from him).......I had that conversation over a year ago with him and mine keeps chugging along.......I just watch the reservoir bottle to make sure it is full to line on the bottle. I am 99% sure it is burning it....I will see a little white/grey smoke every once in a while. Tractor starts up immediately hot or cold and will run all day long. I am sure there will be other opinions....but this is my personal experience.

Edited by sacsr, July 11, 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#7 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 08:11 AM

I have a small yanmar tractor. It consumes about about a half of a overflow bottle of antifreeze about every 6 months. I talked to a yanmar guru who has worked on them for 30 years....he told me he had a personal tractor that did that as well. His response was as long as the tractor was running well (no lose of power).....he did not see any reason to go into the motor. ....I just watch the reservoir bottle to make sure it is full to line on the bottle. I am 99% sure it is burning it....I will see a little white/grey smoke every once in a while. Tractor starts up immediately hot or cold and will run all day long. I am sure there will be other opinions....but this is my personal experience.

I've been pulling wrenches since knee high and too me if there's a problem with anything it gets fixed?? But thats me. Larry

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Ok checked the oil pan for antifreeze it looks fine. Pulled the side covers off the tractor did a pressure leak down test everything seems good.Pulled the heater box apart and noticed purple around one of the water inlets.Pulled the heater core out and did a pressure test.Thank goodness its leaking.I feel much better now.Also going to leave the heater core off for awhile and see how things go.Postive its the heater core.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• heater core 001 (Small).jpg
  • heater core 002 (Small).jpg

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Ok checked the oil pan for antifreeze it looks fine. Pulled the side covers off the tractor did a pressure leak down test everything seems good.Pulled the heater box apart and noticed purple around one of the water inlets.Pulled the heater core out and did a pressure test.Thank goodness its leaking.I feel much better now.Also going to leave the heater core off for awhile and see how things go.Postive its the heater core.Larry

Good deal there Larry! Now you know and can fix it EASY!

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Glad it worked out.

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Glad to hear it larry, that it's not a major issue.