• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 hydriv OFFLINE  

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 15, 2010 - 07:02 PM

If he intends to go into plowing matches, then a good pair of bar-type Ag tires are pretty tough to beat for finding traction. However, it appears that this is a one-day need. The question then becomes one of whether those tires are the best choice for the other 364 days of the year. People do use ags when mowing grass but soil conditions play a big part in whether turf damage takes place or not. Perhaps your son should consider picking up a used set of rims for the front and back. Install the tri-ribs and ags on them and that would make it real easy to switch rubber to fit the task at hand.

I wouldn't recommend putting chains on the ags because those actually interfere with how the bar tread is designed to function in soft soil. Tri-ribs come in 6" and 8" rim sizes and you can get them for narrow rims or wide rims. As for the wheel weights, those too are a good idea because they put the weight directly on the tire/rim and don't interfere with the balance of the tractor.

#17 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 17, 2010 - 08:31 AM

Dont forget the more cost effective alternative of ATV tires.
Posted Image

#18 4mer farm kid OFFLINE  

4mer farm kid

• Member No: 924
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 04:59 PM

Ag in the rear and tri rib in the front. I am getting some Trelleborg tri-rib (two pair for two GT's, JD 110 and a JD 318). They are made for that size of wheel and they shouldn't look too small like some do. I wouldn't put an ag tire on the front (the bar or chevron style) unless it had front wheel assist, which most GT's do not. In the full size tractor world, you just would not see that. For the rear, I'll be using the Carlisle True Power. I do not have experience with any of these, I hope the work well for me.