• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FLFKY OFFLINE  

FLFKY
  • Member No: 10444
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm a noob to much of this stuff so go easy on me..... :)

Just bought a GT-18 off Craigslist, got it pretty cheap and I like all the features available with the tractor. Here's some of my issues.

When the tractor is put under some stress i.e. climbing a hill or cutting thick grass it starts to bog down and stalls

Center PTO for mower just quits for no apparent reason - rear PTO continues to spin

I'll be changing oil and filters this weekend, but that's about as much as I know how to do.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 08:33 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk.

Sound like you may be having some fuel issues and maybe an electrical problem with the PTO.

The fuel issue, I would start with running a heavy mix of Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, or Gumout in your gas. Sometimes this is enough, sometimes you have to rebuild the carb. It could be a fuel pump issue, but let's start with the additives first.

As for the PTO, do you have a multi-meter or test light?
  • FLFKY said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 09:27 PM

I would work on one problem at a time. The first problem I would work on is the engine bogging down. As Alan suggested put about 1 to 1 1/2 oz of Seafoam per gallon of gas. Change out the filters as you mentioned especially the air filter. I would also change the spark plug(s) and it would not hurt once you have changed the oil / filter, air filter and spark plugs start the her up with out the air cleaner installed and shoot some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb. You only want to do short shoot's of the cleaner because it will bog down the engine but then clear. Do this 4 or 5 times. Then re-install the air cleaner and drive the tractor around and see how it run's. You to run at least one tank of the seafoam / gas combo to see if that will help.

Some of us automatically mix seafoam with the gas when we fill the gas can. Report back your results.
  • MH81 and FLFKY have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 04:59 AM

I would do a complete tune up. Also. check the cooling fan and engine fins for debris and make sure you have good air flow. An engine that's running hot can cause vapour lock in the fuel system. Have a look at the governor linkage and check for binding, dirt buildup, worn or bent parts etc. For the PTO you need to look at the electrical scircuit and check for bad connections, burnt or melted connectors, flakey safety and PTO switches etc. You also should check for a solid connection between the engine chassis and the - terminal of the battery.

#5 FLFKY OFFLINE  

FLFKY
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Knew I could count on you guys :thumbs: One problem at a time sounds like the way to go. Tune up first and get the engine running right, then I'll tackle the PTO problem. I'll report back in a few days and let you know how it went....

Mike

#6 FLFKY OFFLINE  

FLFKY
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Got the Seafoam today, made a big difference. Took a little while to work through the engine but once it did I was climbing hills with no issues. Idle was a little rough mid throttle but that was it.
  • MH81, middleageddeere and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:04 PM

13 hrs later & an improvement already. That's good news.

I would keep running it in there somewhere between a while to always.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 09:24 AM

SeaFoam Love it! I think i would still do a tune up on it, if nothing else it gives you a base line as to when you need to do maintenance on it. But I think you will see a marked improvement in the overall performance as well.

#9 FLFKY OFFLINE  

FLFKY
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 02:14 PM

ok.....so the engine is running good, I've cut grass twice, but now I discovered a new problem.

After a mowing session I shut the mower down, came back a few hours later and the battery was pretty much drained. Seems like there's a problem charging the battery.

I've got the repair manual, but I'm really not sure where to begin with troubleshooting this problem.

#10 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:32 AM

The PTO issue and the drained battery could be interconnected. If your PTO is grounding out it could prevernt the battery from charging and/or drain the battery. I would start by checking the hot wire on the PTO. Good luck!
  • FLFKY said thank you

#11 FLFKY OFFLINE  

FLFKY
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Found this nugget in another forum.....going to have to check it out. The seat switch is in fact missing
What your experiencing is a clever Ariens design to preclude someone from trying to inhibit the safety interlocks. If you have a jumper in place of the seat switch and do not remove it after the ignition is off, the interlock will drain the battery(by design probably at the suggestion of lawyers). If you go to the Ariens web site, Customer Support tab, you can download the maintenance manual which has the electrical schematic of the interlock. If your electrically savey, you can figure out a work around. Best bet, replace the seat switch.

#12 FLFKY OFFLINE  

FLFKY
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Here's what I found out today:

1. PTO won't engage unless there is sufficient voltage (12v and above) and it seems that the PTO crankshaft sometimes needs to turned a few times before it will engage successfully. (Don't worry, I'm turning it when the mower is off) The only way I get it to engage is after I've jumped it with my truck and the jumper cables are still connected. If I disconnect the cables and measure the voltage it's below 12v and the PTO won't engage.

2. The electrical system is pretty fouled up but I kind of knew that. Seat switch is missing, bypass circuitry is in place, etc. The guy I bought it from had two wires sticking out of the dash and said to start it you need to short these leads. Not knowing what I know now, these two leads bypass the solenoid so it will start. It's probably bad, but I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

Any tips would be most appreciated......