• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 10:02 AM

Well finally got the power back on after being off for 3+days.Ariens GT 18 and snowblower moved the around 2' of heavy,icy snow better than the 55HP Oliver 1365 with blade.Ariens throws the snow about 30 ft amazing really.Getting cattle fed is a chore.Snow last night and today with up to 50MPH winds so we'll probably loose power again.Not 'normal' central VA weather

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 10:17 AM

It is really odd ball weather for down there. Same with the guys in md. It has been a really wet year. I love Oliver tractors, I would like to get one of the oliver gt's. Make sure ya stay warm and glad to see you got power back on. Fingers crossed it doesn't go back out.

#3 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Olivers are good tractors I feed the cattle with an Oliver 1650 Diesel Wheatland. I have a huge woodpile so keeping warm is the easy part.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 11:30 AM

Olivers are good tractors I feed the cattle with an Oliver 1650 Diesel Wheatland. I have a huge woodpile so keeping warm is the easy part.

Good deal with the wood heat.

I really like the Olivers, I would love to have a big one but even a super 55 would be too big for where we are. My one buddy collects the old olivers and has a couple, I think they are 1850, 1855 and maybe 1950. I'm not 100% on the model numbers but I know one is two wheel drive with the gmc diesel in it and the other two are 4wd with the gmc diesels. His old man collects the big massey tractors.

#5 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 02:43 PM

You need to go by Harry Barrick's place over near Shippensburg PA he has a huge Oliver collection at his place of business.I mean several large buildings full many rare models.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 06:13 PM

Thats funny you mention him. I know who he is, he had a ton of Olivers at the show in williams grove this year. I guess the oliver group shows go to a different place each year and this past year was at williams grove. I posted the pics I had of the event in the events section of the site. I had more but I can't find all of the photos.

#7 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 08:31 PM

His place is a real treat to go see anyway plus he has really good deals on tires of all kinds.His brother also has a large Oliver collection.I've known him for about 20 years.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 08:33 PM

He has the fields he rents or donates to the community groups, our boy played soccer there last year. I will have to stop by there sometime and see about getting a tour and taking a bunch of pictures if he allows.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 11, 2010 - 12:58 PM

Last years January ice storm left us running a dairy on generator power for 15 1/2 days. Talk about one big pain in the rear. Many people can get by without any AC if they have wood stove or other source of non/ac heat. We HAVE to have electricity to survive. That storm cost us around $5,000.00 for diesel, gasoline, new generators due to total failures, and our Massey blew a radiator (had to be rebuilt) pulling the large generator powering the milk parlor. We made it through, but no party! Been through 14 days, but this one set a record. So far this year not a second of power failure yet.:yelclap:
I feel the pain Gary!