UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ok I have talked about and shown one teaser pic so here is more info on the GTV18.

Answered an ad on CL about a sears tractor and he said it had a plow and sleeve hitch and ran so I figured i couldn't go wrong for the price. When I got to his house I found that it came with a spare frame and transmission. Dang thing was heavy to load. The GTV drove right up on the trailer, but he had it on a charger to get it started because it just wouldn't turn over fast enough with just the battery.

Got it home and addressed a couple of minor electrical gremlins and removed a mouse condo from it and it fired right up. That 18 has to be the smoothest running engine I have ever heard. Frist time I drove it the drive belts broke so I ordered new belts. While putting the belts on I realized that the Variator Sheave is toast. It is a NLA and if you can find one they are $150. I am thinking about eliminating it and just finding a regular pulley to put there if the one on the spare frame is gone.
Somehow I have no pics of the extra frame.
SO here she is Not sure of year because nothing comes back with the number in any database I have found 917.253733
Posted Image
Someone poked one of her eyes out, but I have plans for that.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 09, 2012 - 04:14 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:15 PM

I happen to have a spare lens and might part with it. Nice tractor. I really like my GTV/16, tough old tractor. Have you checked out the repaint thread for it?

#3 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:21 PM

NO I haven't. Got a link to it.

#4 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:31 PM

NM I found it.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:32 PM

YEP! Here ya go:
http://gardentractor...tv16-refurbish/
Also, anything with Big Bertha in the title is her. She quite the gal!

#6 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yeah they do seem huge compared to other GTs. I like it though I don't feel like I weigh more than the tractor.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 06:01 PM

I gave her that name due to the pic from the rear. LOL Those 26 x 12's make her look bigger! That's my first GT.

#8 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 06:16 PM

oke up this morning to the sounds of my wife telling me that the well pump top fitting was leaking. So I got one cup of coffee in me and then we went out have a look. Got the upper connector off and sent her to the hardware store to get one. Since I had nothing else to do till she got back I started tinkering with the GTV again.

I got the deck reinstalled, sharpened what is left of the blades – really what was left of them, I think the PO mowed a gravel quarry with it.

She got home and I coached her through fixing the well. Lets face it she is 17 years younger than me so there will come a time when she will have to fix it herself. Got the water back on and then drug her over to the tractor to be my extra set of hands. Got it all back together and drove it 10 feet before it quit pulling. Looked under it and figured out why. Stupid me had the drive belts crossed on the varidrive pulley. While I was under it I realized that there no longer is a varidrive it is just in high permanently. A quick fix later and I was off and mowing.

This monster has the turning radius of the Exxon Valdese – after it ran aground. Holy cripes. I got tired of backing up to go around things.

It ran out of gas and then would not restart. I took the spark plugs out and the both look ok. Put one back in on the left hand side and then had a brain fart and turned the key. Stupid thing started and ran on one cyl. So I put the other one back in and finished mowing the yard.

I am going to have to track down another deck belt. When it looked at tall grass it slipped.

I tried to pull a pickup out of the way to mow under it and the tractor wouldn’t budge it. Kind of hurt my feelings till I had to put my 94 Suburban in 4wd to pull it. It sunk in the ground with all this rain we have had.

SO now the yard is cut. I am starting to have affectionate feelings for the GTV. I am, however, going to have to address the seating issue. It nearly beat me to death. It needs more support to hold up my 270 pounds. Other than that I have no complaints. I am in love with the 18 HP engine. It is so smooth running.

#9 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Went out to move the tractor and it had a flat. Put air in it and it pumped slime out of a big dry rotted hole in the sidewall. So I stole the AG tires off the 76 SS16. I had no idea the ag tires were weighted. Those things were heavy for thier size. Also put the wheel weights on the GTV while I was at it. Oh and a super sexxy seat cover. Seat has exposed foam and it has rained every day here and guess who forgot to flip the seat up. I also added a custom hood slot cover to keep the plugs dry.

Posted Image

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 19, 2012 - 10:07 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 05:02 AM

Good looking GTV! I like your 'upgrades'! Have fun with it!

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Well I took Orthrus (two headed hell hound from Greek Mythology) out to mow today. After about an hours the drive belt started slipping so I tried to adjust it, but with the messed up varidrive pulley it wouldn't adjust. So I dragged the spare frame up.
Hung it up where I could crawl under it.
Posted Image
Pulled off the Varidrive pulley and tossed it in a cocktail of penetrating oil, transmission fluid and motor oil to soak
Posted Image
then I decided to work on a small project for the tractor. I took some rusty wheels
Posted Image
Spent about an hour and a half with the wire wheel
Posted Image
Posted Image
Got one cleaned
Posted Image
( yes that is a hospital gurney - great work table)

Shot some black header paint on it
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tomorrow I will clean the other one and then mount my special tires.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 22, 2012 - 08:09 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:25 PM

If I remember right, mine had a zerk in the shaft. Have to look again to be sure. There's one in that area somewhere, that I know.
I FOUND IT! It's on the opposite side of the arm from the pulley. Knew I'd seen one in there!

#13 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yes there is a Zerk fitting on the Varidrive. I wanted to make sure it was all loosened up first. Soaking it for a day wont hurt anything.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Looking good!
Have you ever considered using the e-tank method of loosening up the paint? It cuts down significantly on the brush time.

#15 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 12:23 PM

IF I had all the stuff to do an etank with i would have done it. When I get to bigger parts I will have one. About a hour in I was reeally wishing I had a 6 v charger.