UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 11:56 AM

A guy I know needed some money and he sold me this old Lowes tractor. It is a complete basket case, the belts are a complete mass of tangled spaghetti, tires are low, but it is supposed to have a good 12 HP Briggs engine. Since I have a Craftsman II with a ventilated block this will provide an engine and a pile of spare parts.

I was going to go out and take pictures but the nails in the front steps melted and the wood turned to ashes in the sun. So I took this pic out the office window.
Posted Image
When it cools down this evening I will tackle getting the GTV 18 back together so I can mow the yard before I have to rent a bush hog. Then I will go out and unload it and give it a good going over and see if it will start.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 09, 2012 - 12:49 PM.

• MH81 and middleageddeere have said thanks

#2 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 02:03 PM

That's an MTD 700 series tractor. Simple F-N-R transaxle with varidrive for speed control. I have one that's just like it, with someone else's name on it - Servistar, I think.
Nothing outstanding, but what I like about those models in particular is that they have a really decent muffler and with the mostly-enclosed side panels, they are fairly quiet to operate.
After pulling the engine you could probably sell the deck if it is in decent condition as well as the transaxle, then recycle the rest.

#3 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 02:07 PM

This is mine. It is nothing great but was my first riding mower, a freebie I resurrected. Still runs great, those Briggs engines are very durable.

If it has been sitting, make sure to pop off the blower housing and check for mouse nests.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2498.jpg

• MH81, middleageddeere and KennyP have said thanks

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 03:02 PM

This is mine. It is nothing great but was my first riding mower, a freebie I resurrected. Still runs great, those Briggs engines are very durable.

If it has been sitting, make sure to pop off the blower housing and check for mouse nests.

You should have seen the nest I pulled out of the GTV. I am surprised there wasn't chewed up wiring. Around here I always check for mice especially since a fox got the best mouser ever born.

That's an MTD 700 series tractor. Simple F-N-R transaxle with varidrive for speed control. I have one that's just like it, with someone else's name on it - Servistar, I think.
Nothing outstanding, but what I like about those models in particular is that they have a really decent muffler and with the mostly-enclosed side panels, they are fairly quiet to operate.
After pulling the engine you could probably sell the deck if it is in decent condition as well as the transaxle, then recycle the rest.

No Varidrive on that one. It is a 5 speed if Ii counted correctly.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 03:27 PM

When you gonna post pics of that GTV/18? LOL Cool parts tractor, might even be a decent mower!

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yes, stay in while it's hot. I second Kenny's motion, let's see GTV pics. Glad you got a donor motor.

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Here it is

http://gardentractor...ic/14674-gtv18/
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:22 PM

Already been there! I like it! Thanks for the pics!

#9 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 10:02 PM

No Varidrive on that one. It is a 5 speed if Ii counted correctly.

Really? You sure?

I see the F-N-R shifter sticking up between the seat and dash, and the varidrive lever on the right fender. It should have ... I think a P, then 1 through whatever they set it up for as far as number of "gears". I think mine has 7, but all it amounts to is how many notches and the spacing between the notches.

I have seen MTDs with geared transaxles, but I don't think I've seen one of this chassis style.

I could be wrong, though!

How about a picture looking down between the dash and seat?

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Almost positive its a variator style in that. The fender speed selectors (non-hydro) are almost all vari style. I could be wrong on this one, but it's a 90% thing, near as I can tell.

Very nimble mower there, you'll love it's turn radius and bump a few things because of it. :)

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 10:56 PM

Really? You sure?

I see the F-N-R shifter sticking up between the seat and dash, and the varidrive lever on the right fender. It should have ... I think a P, then 1 through whatever they set it up for as far as number of "gears". I think mine has 7, but all it amounts to is how many notches and the spacing between the notches.

I have seen MTDs with geared transaxles, but I don't think I've seen one of this chassis style.

I could be wrong, though!

How about a picture looking down between the dash and seat?

Yo may very well be right.Not really an issue anyhow since this one is a donor machine.