17 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 09:26 AM

I wish I'd asked the question before I placed an order, but....
Has anyone had any luck printing durable waterproof labels for their tractors?

I just order some of the avery labels for just such a thing so we'll see how it goes. I want to have the controls labeled b/c I want to be able to teach the kids how to drive it. First of all, with the new tranny, I need a label with the shift pattern. I also want labels for the following things on my panzer:

On the drive lever plate:
1) Drive
2) Neutral
3) Quick Reverse

PTO (may label it as 'Mower' or something)

Left Brake
Right Brake
Lights
Parking brake.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:05 PM

Most printers have water soluble ink. May need a clear sheet put over what you print!
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 04:27 PM

Avery has an iron on kit that works with your printer. I made several shirts at one time, and they seemed to hold up OK. IDK why they didn't dissolve in the washer, but they were fine. Eventually, wear & tear, the iron-ons cracked or lifted.

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 05:01 PM

They make bumper sticker on a printer. Some of the colors fade though.

#5 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks! I'll have to watch for the bleeding ink. From what I read a laser should work better than an inkjet printer. I have access to both a black and a color laser at work. Think I'll just try first with just black on white and see how that goes. Though it may be a few more days before the paper gets here.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 10:16 PM

If this is "water slide" material, the problem with this is that if you use clear, the printing looks great, but when you lay it onto any other color than white, the image can almost disappear, depending on the background color & shade. I bought both white & clear sheets. The images printed on white sheeting look great, as the white background keeps background colors from showing through the ink. Once the water slide is on the part, it must be sprayed over with a clear acrylic spray to hold the ink fast & preserve it.
BUT if I'm getting you right, what I think you will be using is not water slide material, but it likely still needs to be sprayed with clear acrylic to preserve the ink. If these are not water slide, but instead a peel & stick label, then you should be able to spray the acrylic before applying. You can do a practice decal or 2 to see how it goes.
  • MH81 and cookiemonster have said thanks

#7 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:11 AM

The one I got from Avery is white. The reviews said that people have made inexpensive outdoor stickers from it and been happy with the results. I'm okay with making it on a white background b/c I want to make very small stickers that standout well against a non-white tractor color. That way, the kids will see the label without it being huge.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:59 PM

Just out of curiosity, do the kids know your user name?

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, do the kids know your user name?

I bet there is a back story.

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Ha! Not much of a back story on the user name. Name of Cook and I hit kindergarten about 1975. Being what was the biggest kids tv at the time it was just a natural fit. Better embrace it than fight it, I always say. I could do a good impersonation back then, too.
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Now we know the 'rest of the story'! As far as the labels go, print out a couple and use them as tests. Put them where they will get abused some. That will let you know what works for you.

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 09:43 PM

If you only have a few labels to make try and find someone with a Brother P-Touch non-laminate labeler. I've got one and the white print on black tape background makes killer easily readable labels. I just checked the Brother website and it states that the P-Touch tapes are OK to use in... They make sizes up to 1/2"+ and have a bunch of cool fonts.

Quoting Brother's website, " Almost all of the P-touch products print on laminated labels that are resistant to water, spills, heat, cold and other harsh environments."

...(whatever THEY consider harsh:D). If you do the normal prep to the surface they really stick, though I've not tried any outside as yet.

#13 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 09:57 PM

If you only have a few labels to make try and find someone with a Brother P-Touch non-laminate labeler. I've got one and the white print on black tape background makes killer easily readable labels. I just checked the Brother website and it states that the P-Touch tapes are OK to use in... They make sizes up to 1/2"+ and have a bunch of cool fonts.

Quoting Brother's website, " Almost all of the P-touch products print on laminated labels that are resistant to water, spills, heat, cold and other harsh environments."

...(whatever THEY consider harsh:D). If you do the normal prep to the surface they really stick, though I've not tried any outside as yet.

I have two of there machines, one is a desk unit that hooks up with computer, other is hand held, both use same tape, outdoors lasts about two to three years (that's on outdoor a/c units, no protection at all), under cover by still outside >>> year's
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 05:48 AM

That is cool. I've been messing around with fonts and sizes on the basic Avery labels using Laser and not ink-jet. I'm still yet to attach one to the tractor. Just been working on other stuff.

#15 Jarvisih OFFLINE  

Jarvisih
  • Member No: 10429
  • 9 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:22 PM

clear coat over your decals