22 replies to this topic

#16 jbumgarner OFFLINE  

jbumgarner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10248
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:48 AM

A few years ago we built a temporary cabinet outside with pallets. We used 4 pallets on the bottom with a tarp under to collect the used medai and then screwed pallets to each side with the tarp running up each side. This gave us enough room to get in and stand or squat down to blast. Seemed to cut back on the mess and also we were able to reuse our sand. We also tried everything under the sun as media and seems like the regular sand was the best bet. The aluminum oxide done good, but then again it cost 4 times more than the play sand. We also run walnut shells in our shop cabinet, but like was said earlier we only used it for delicate parts. I blasted a wooden picture frame with walnut at low pressure and it didn't even etch the wood.

#17 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 19, 2012 - 12:54 PM

I made a blasting booth in the shop when restoring the LGT100. Tarp walls and one on the floor. The tarp on the floor made it real easy to reclaim the media after blasting, just pick it up and it all rolls into a pile.

#18 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 02:32 PM

I found the Black Bueaty stuff is great, leaves a little rough surface at first, gets better as it wears down. The stuff don't last long, turns into a brown dust and can't see or clogs window real quick with dust. I have used it mixed with silica sand and was OK, but just use slica by itself now. Even that grinds down to white dust pretty quick. Been doing a lot of blasting lately and lasts about 3 weeks before you can't stand it and or can't see and wanna change. Goes thru the plastic window covers much faster too when is dusty. That dust attracts to the plastic much quicker than new sand. Also harder plastic material like the commercial liners you buy seem to last longer, guess the hard plastic bounces stuff off easier? I'll be changing mine again this week. When cabinet is dusty also gotta go thru and vacuum or blow out all the area to get it all. I've even taken cab out to drive and hosed whole thing out at times in summer. Don't do that too often tho.

#19 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:15 PM

i haven't done a lot of sand blasting but i do have one question . how do you keep from getting shocked all the dern time . im using a pressure pot type and i hate getting shocked .( you have no idea )

#20 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:04 AM

I've had one of those hand held sand blasters for years, and it's never given me any problems. Just takes a lot of sand as does any "total loss" system. I don't even have a patch of concrete to try to reclaim any.

Since using sand on aluminum isn't a great idea, and I didn't want glass beads all over my yard, I also picked up a soda blaster version from Harbor Freight. It also works well.

My only complaint is I wish employers would pay adequately so I could BUY AMERICAN!!!!

#21 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:23 PM

I have a plow to blast and I think tomorrow I"ll grab the 20lb blaster slightly more expensive but 20# at a time should be fine for most of the stuff I need to do..., since I am familiar with blasting I will attempt to setup some type of reclamation process...not sure what I'll use...probably do it over an empty trash can or feed bucket...trust me I will not wear that hood. they fog up and make seeing a genuine PITA. I will however protect my eyes with some swimming goggles and face with one of the face shields and of course use my respirator.
http://www.harborfre...ster-68994.html

And I will avoid Crystalline Silica < bad stuff that causes lots of health issues...if I can find it under 1% that would be cool :-)

Edited by NutCASE, October 12, 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#22 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 01:31 AM

Ok, so I 'wanted' to buy the 20# blaster, but my local HF was out of Stock. So I mulled it around a bit and while not wanting to spend $100 for a blaster...I thought why not? It ill be a little bit bigger and I won't have to 'refill' it as often. I don't have a big compressor 30 gal 5 hp craftsman... So, I knew it would push the limits...Ended up after I got it home hooked yjr 40# unit, got all the safety stuff on the blaster worked great...I bought #100 of sand from Lowel s for $7. Noot a bad price...got half way through the snow blade and it started raining...so Back to HF to get a wire wheel for the angle grinder, got all the rust off and old paint. then put a coat of etch primer on it., Did the blade, Cutting edge, and shoes...Then I bought all new hardware for it. I think it's gonna be fine...now I still have the 'main shaft' to do...then do some fab work. So, if the weather cooperates which I am not sure if it will or not. I may just get it sprayed the blade at least tomorrow... we'll see. But I was pleased with the blaster and new respirator. oh ya tomorrow I will wear the stupid hood...or a ball cap. I'd like to reclaim the sand but that is a bigger hassle than it's worth. You have to sweep it up, filter it put in the hopper, at $3/50 per bag. I'll buy another bag of fresh, clean washed playsand. nothing to interrupt the blasting process and mess up the blaster. The compressor while it was working didn't fall behind to much. I was real pleased with the configuration...

Edited by NutCASE, October 14, 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#23 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Great topic