#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Well I made a trip to Harbor Freight. I went to get some cotter pins and snap ring assortments. I was walking around and found a 21 oz. gravity feed blaster gun. It was on 20 bucks so I got it. I went stopped at Lowes and grabbed a bag of Quikrete sand. I screened the bag of sand into a bucket. There are some large pieces in them. Filled the gun up and proceeded to test blast a piece of painted steel I have. It actually works. Now its not good for large things but for tractor parts it wasn't bad. WARNING: DO NOT SANDBLAST WITHOUT A RESPIRATOR AND PROTECTIVE CLOTHING! I had an old motorcycle helmet with a breather on under it. Long sleeves and pant also required. I'm gonna experiment with different medias. I have a great spot outside in some gravel to do the blasting. It is extremely messy and dusty. Anyone have any experiences or suggestions? I may actually build a pressure pot. I have a large tank from a broken air compressor I may use for it. Thanks.

Eric

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:13 PM

That sounds like a great start! My only suggestion to you is that you get some premium silica sand from an auto body supplier. It is per-screened and washed to get rid of the ultra fine grains and the dirt that will cause a lot of dust and make it difficult to see what you're doing. I have gone the route of sifting general purpose sand and, while it works, it's a messy way to go.
Thanks for including the safety stuff! This is especially true if you're using sand! Silicosis is a permanent lung injury that can be caused very quickly and from very limited use of sandblasting equipment! You'll only ever have the one set of lungs so take good care of them!
  • Alc, Newpaws493 and dropped82 have said thanks

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Have you ever used glass media or the "black sand" from Tractor Supply? I want something that'll strip rust pretty well. I've also heard walnut shells do well.

#4 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:34 PM

I got mine frome Harbor Freight as well, but its a little bigger, about maybe a 2 or 3 gallon, and it was about $40 as I recall. I love it, but your right, its very messy, and requires protection. I always wear a face mask jeans, and long sleeves, but that sand still manages to get into the places where the sun don't shine, if you know what I mean. Very uncomfortable! :bigrofl:

Matt
  • dropped82 said thank you

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Could you post a pic of your new toy? By the way I saw a blastbooth for sale and on 1st look it doesn't seem to complicated ( a bit large for my space) but they can be made to suit the need, yeh? Will try to put up pic. Thanks

Finally found that ad, I was suggesting that to build a cabinet doesn't seem complicated ...
(I've been wrong a few & a 1/2 times)

http://boston.craigs...3076623297.html

cabinet 1.jpg

And at this price, might be easier to just find the space...

Edited by Newpaws493, July 09, 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Have you ever used glass media or the "black sand" from Tractor Supply? I want something that'll strip rust pretty well. I've also heard walnut shells do well.

The black "sand" from TSC is called Black Beauty and is actually pulverized asphalt. It works pretty good, but it isn't the fastest of the media available. I've heard rave reviews about the aluminum oxide, but it's pretty expensive as are all of the higher end media. Here's a website that offers several different types of media and great information about the different types available. I'm not saying that they're the only one out there, just that the info is good. It's covered on the website, but the walnut shells are especially good for use on delicate materials that other abrasives might punch full of holes or completely destroy.

#7 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'm sorry no pics right now. This is not a booth. I don't like the idea of a booth since parts like frames won't fit. If you go to there website and look up 21 oz blast gun you will see it. I work with a guy who used to blast professionally. He said they were in large booths with oxygen masks due to the danger. I use mine outside in an open carport that my compressor hose can reach. That keeps the dust constantly moving out and not hanging around. The mess just goes into the gravel so I'm to worried about it. My friend recommended laying a tarp for more expensive medias to help save some of it. Haven't tried this yet. Anyone have experience with the pressure pots? I've read they are the best way to go. Very simple design.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 10:47 PM

I am glad you found a gun that works for you! I am looking forward to your pics!

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 06:40 AM

Not much luck with cheap pressure blaster for me. Always wanting to clog where sand drops down. Too many valves to adjust and gotta keep blasting as you do that or it clogged. All blasting wears the parts out. TP Tools is one of best blast parts places. I bought the cabinet plans and made mine 48" wide and bigger window. Cabinet is way to go. I have big items blasted by local guy outside. Hardest part is having a big enough compressor to work right and then they still run pretty constant. I buy the special hardened carbide tip and it lasts long time. Ceramic and even reg metals don't last long at all. I have had to replace guns, pick-up tubes, hoses, all wear thru with use. The window especially gets foggy and messed quick. I have safety glass, put plexiglas behind that and then get good thick vynil window film to tape over that on inside. Cheapest way to do it. Started with just plexiglas, but not cheap. I buy 3 x 3 plexi and have cut in three sections. My window is 12 x 36. I use a shop vac for it, but filters clog fast and you constantly have to knock packed dust out of it and replace sometimes. My experiences!
  • Newpaws493 and dropped82 have said thanks

#10 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Wow, cool idea!

#11 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Sounds like a good start. With sand I would really recomend aluminum oxide if you are running it in a cabinet..if you are spraying it ourside and it cannot be reused I would use the black beauty or silaca sand. Just got a new cabinet the other day and am going to try black beauty in it and see how it works,if that does not work to well I will get some aluminum oxide for it. Jake

#12 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 01:50 PM

I had problems with clogging on my first try. I then ran the sand thru a window screen and it solved that problem. I also run a air dryer ahead considering the humidity is horrible here in Indiana. Does the black stuff strip quicker? I've heard silica is about the quickest but also the harshest. I just got home so gotta knock some weeds down (only thing growing in this drought) then hopefully get some garage time. I would consider the aluminum oxide but I would use it quick since I have no real way to save it. It gets a little pricey. I could definitely see wearing parts out. Anything after the sand is pressurized is gonna take a beating.
Eric

Edited by dropped82, July 09, 2012 - 01:53 PM.

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#13 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm not at my shop right now, but I got the pic of it off the Harbor Freight website. Oh, it was 34.95 not $40. :thumbs:

Matt

Posted Image

#14 rickht20 OFFLINE  

rickht20
  • Member No: 11873
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:36 PM

old fuel oil tank can be modified for a cabinet pretty easy to handle larger parts

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Sounds like a good start. With sand I would really recomend aluminum oxide if you are running it in a cabinet..if you are spraying it ourside and it cannot be reused I would use the black beauty or silaca sand. Just got a new cabinet the other day and am going to try black beauty in it and see how it works,if that does not work to well I will get some aluminum oxide for it. Jake

I'm using Black Beauty in my cabinet now. It's ok, but soon as I can afford it, I'm going back to aluminum oxide....way & beyond better! B-Beauty is slow, but if you are patient, it gets the job done.