• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hot as it is, I still HAD to get a bit of shop time between milkings today. Went out & put new fuel filter & fuel lines, plus a new fuel shut off valve on my Devilbiss 4,000 watt Generator. Then I got out the old Allis hour meter that quit working & took it apart. Peeled back the cover & slipped the meter works out. The points contacts were dirty, so cleaned them up & it energized, but the balance wheel wouldn't keep going. So lubed everything up with light oil and she's ticking along just fine. Got it all back together & still ticking away!
I went ahead & set it back to all zero's so I can see how many hours exactly that "I" put on it. I had already bought a new aftermarket clock, so now I'm not sure which I'll use.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#2 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 660 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'd use the original, unless the GT is restored in which case the new one would look better. :thumbs:

Matt
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 02:05 PM

I am with Matt, I would use the original if there is nothing wrong with it.

I am glad you were able to get some things done. I know how you feel, I want to go out to the garage and do something. Even though I don't have anything to fix at the moment. And I think that since all I want to do is go fix something, that is why I am so bored. Lol.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'd use the original, unless the GT is restored in which case the new one would look better. :thumbs:

Matt

Kinda what I was thinking. This clock came from the 720 I am using for parts, but the 620's clock has quit also. I think I'll put this one in the 620 until I get around to repainting her (if I ever do), then put in the brand new one.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 02:08 PM

I had 2 fans going in there, but still unbearably hot. My remote thermometer shows 105, but mercury in the shade is right at 100. It's the humidity making it hard to take.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,712 Thanks
  • 29,660 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Daniel, glad you got some shop time, even it you kept having to wipe the sweat from your eyes.

I went out to the Ashtabula Tractor show this morning. Had a good time and drenched my shirt too.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 03:41 PM

I've never had an hour meter apart. Thanks for the description of the problem. A lot of the older instruments and electrical components can be repaired. Not so with most of the new stuff.

#8 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 660 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am with Matt, I would use the original if there is nothing wrong with it.

I am glad you were able to get some things done. I know how you feel, I want to go out to the garage and do something. Even though I don't have anything to fix at the moment. And I think that since all I want to do is go fix something, that is why I am so bored. Lol.

Wow Ryan, you need to pick up a few more projects. My problem is I never run out of stuff that needs fixing, and I still pick up other projects that I don't have time to work on, and then I get more projects. :bigrofl: You get the point, its a vicous cycle that I just can't seem to escape, and apparently I must not want too. :laughingteeth:

Matt

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Wow Ryan, you need to pick up a few more projects. My problem is I never run out of stuff that needs fixing, and I still pick up other projects that I don't have time to work on, and then I get more projects. :bigrofl: You get the point, its a vicous cycle that I just can't seem to escape, and apparently I must not want too. :laughingteeth:

Matt

The problem with me is, I don't like the little 15-25 minute jobs, I like to do things that will take me longer. Things that I have not done before and isn't one of the normal "fix-it" jobs. I might have a project to work on soon though. Not 100% yet, but it is looking good right now...
  • bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:23 PM

I've never had an hour meter apart. Thanks for the description of the problem. A lot of the older instruments and electrical components can be repaired. Not so with most of the new stuff.

I should have taken the time for some simple pics, but didn't intend to even get into it till I saw it laying there on the bench. I'll do better next time!

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,385 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:00 PM

How the heck can you do anything in that kind of heat?
Hotest we've had was 32C(90F). And that was too much for me.
Things cooled off today, with NW wind. 25C (77F), but they say back to 30's by thurs.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:08 PM

It was in the mid 80's here today and I was in the sun working all afternoon. That was hot enough for me. Deer got into the garden last night and ate some stuff. I had the posts for a higher fence sitting in the workshop but hadn't gotten around to it so I had to get out today and extend the fence up to 8ft. No way would I want to do that in triple digit temps.

#13 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Daniel,
Maybe mount the old one where it is supposed to be and piggyback the new one and hide it so it is not seen. That way if the old one goes down again you will have the information anyway.

Bill
  • olcowhand said thank you

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:20 PM

How the heck can you do anything in that kind of heat?
Hotest we've had was 32C(90F). And that was too much for me.
Things cooled off today, with NW wind. 25C (77F), but they say back to 30's by thurs.

Oh but Will, it was only 101F today! The cool front has started coming through as I was milking tonight & down to 83. Feels gooooood!

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Daniel,
Maybe mount the old one where it is supposed to be and piggyback the new one and hide it so it is not seen. That way if the old one goes down again you will have the information anyway.

Bill

Good idea Bill!