15 replies to this topic

#1 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hi everyone,

I was offered a "Penn 88" today. I was wondering what the feelings are on these. I have never seen one. It resembles the Snapper mowers. He said they were only built in 1966. Are they reliable? I didn't get to speak to him very long. I don't know all of the specs on them. Is it just a mower, or did it come with other attachments? Any help or info would be appreciated. I can't go get it for a few days, so I'll post pics when I get it.

Thanks.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:47 AM

Never heard of it either , but that might make a nice tractor to collect , good luck with it , Al

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:56 AM

Heres a link to a few pictures and a little information on them. They must be pretty rare. http://store.panzert...zertractors.com
  • KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Cool little RER! Never saw one before. Doubt there are any other attachments, but would be cool to have!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:05 AM

I would think that is rare enough to make it a sought after machine. I hope it's in decent shape. Post lots of pics as there doesn't appear to be much info. out there on this.

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 02:47 PM

I've seen a few on different sites. They do seem to be somewhat rare. Don't know too much about them, though

#7 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm going to go get it Mondya or Tuesday. I'll post pictures and be as descriptive as possible. I have found very little on this model. I'll be picking up the Penn 88, a Copar 3 wheel and a T70 tomorrow. These Panzers have become quite an addiction! I think I may have to slow down on them and focusing on the ones I have. No sense in having them if I can't use them.

My "Daily driver" has a flat and I need to get a tube. I don't feel like digging out the other ones that run. They are buried WAY in the back of the shed and it's just too hot to go moving everything.

I'll keep you guys updated on my finds until I kick the habit!
  • bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#8 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'm going to go get it Mondya or Tuesday. I'll post pictures and be as descriptive as possible. I have found very little on this model. I'll be picking up the Penn 88, a Copar 3 wheel and a T70 tomorrow. These Panzers have become quite an addiction! I think I may have to slow down on them and focusing on the ones I have. No sense in having them if I can't use them.

My "Daily driver" has a flat and I need to get a tube. I don't feel like digging out the other ones that run. They are buried WAY in the back of the shed and it's just too hot to go moving everything.

I'll keep you guys updated on my finds until I kick the habit!

Don't go trying to kick the habit. People may say we have an addiction, but I say its just that we're not quitters! My daddy didn't raise no quitter! :bigrofl:

Matt
  • Clint said thank you

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 04:09 PM

I think I may have heard of them, but I know I have never seen pics of them before. It looks like a cool mower and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

By the way, you won't just "kick" this habit...

#10 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:19 PM

It's not that I want to kick the habit, I'm going broke! Lol. I want to make the ones I have nice and quit buying everything I see.

#11 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Well, I got to pick up my Penn 88 and the Copar and a T70 yesterday.

The Penn 88 has a 6 HP vertical Briggs. The deck is controlled on the right with the same implement handle design as the T70/75's. They just bent and tweaked it a bit. It has a single blade. There is a "R N F" lever on the right side of the steering. There is only one speed on this model.

There is an on off key switch ont the right side just in front of the hood by the throttle. It is a manual pull start with re-coil. The key switch just operates the spark.

It was a 2.5 hour drive one way to get these, but well worth it. I am a little poorer after the fuel bill and cost of these Panzers. Oh, well. I can't take it wilth me, right?

We have a homecoming parade in August and I am going to try to get these done to drive them in it.

I was intersted in getting home and honestly didn't care if they ran. He said the Copar will start, but it has governor issues and it just revs way up and leaks oil...that much was obvious. Anyone know what size Briggs is in the Copar? There is overspray on the dataplate.

He said the T70's carburetor leaks. Please, I'll tear that apart and clean it and throw a new gasket in that in the house. Lol.

I will post a new topic with what I believe is a Copar Model A and the T70. Correct me if I am wrong on the Models.

Here are pictures of the Penn 88.

Thanks.

Front front view.JPG

Left front view hood open.JPG

Left rear view.JPG

Left view of controls.JPG

Rear view hood closed.JPG

Right engine view hood open.JPG

Right front view hood open.JPG

Right rear view 1.JPG

Right rear view 2.JPG

Right view  of controls.JPG
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Cool looking mower! Glad you could get it. It will go with the others real well!

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, looks like a good solid rear engine rider. And it looks like that t70 in the background is in great shape.

#14 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 10:06 PM

I'm going to go pick up another Penn 88 in the morning. It's about an hour away and I am excited to go get it. Last night I rebuilt the other ones carburetor and adjusted it. I took it for a spin and the belts were loose. I removed, cleaned, reassembled and then adjusted the tension and mowed grass for about twenty minutes. It cut surprisingly well. It's a pretty narrow cut, but hey, You can't have everything. Right? I'll post photos of the one I get tommorow. That one has a black and white seat cover. The gentleman said his has a 7 HP Briggs on it.

#15 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 03:01 PM

Well, I got to pick up my second Penn 88 this morning. These are hard to find and this is only the second one I've ever come across. They were only manufactured in 1966. They have the same drive disc design as the Snapper mowers. The gentleman I purchashed it from,Paul, who is in his 70's spoke with me like we were old friends. I had a great time meeting him. When I pulled into his driveway, there was a 1923 Model T Touring Car in the garage. It looked very nice. We talked for quite a while, then he asked if I wanted to go for a spin. That was a no brainer. He chauffered me around town for about twenty minutes and we cruised the old main street of Staunton IL. The car ran great and rode very comfortably. Here are pictures of both the Penn 88 and the Model T. I know it's off topic, but I thought you guys may enjoy the photos. Enjoy. Please comment!

101_3809.JPG

101_3810.JPG

101_3811.JPG

101_3812.JPG

101_3813.JPG

101_3814.JPG

101_3815.JPG

101_3816.JPG

101_3817.JPG

101_3818.JPG

101_3819.JPG

101_3820.JPG