• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 07:46 AM

I have this sno-caster available to whoever wants it. I removed the mounting bracket to use on my plow. Also the u-joint shaft is off,otherwise the rest is there . The auger spins free. I would rather give it to someone than to scrap it.

Attached Thumbnails

• sc1.jpg
  • sc2.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi and antiquetractors have said thanks

#2 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well, you're actually not that far from me I don't think... Is this for a Bolens tube frame or a different kind of tractor? You said the mounting bracket and U-Joint are missing? Is that all I would need to get it working? I might be interested in it for my Bolens 850 I'm working on... unless it won't fit mine?

Also, looking at the pics, how does the chute turn and angle? Is it all manual or can it be controlled remotely while riding on the tractor? Hard to tell from pics and I have no experience with these snowblowers...

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 09:15 AM

I have a 1253 medium tube frame tractor. It will probably work for your tractor, but someone else on this site may know better. I just looked at it again and it appears it has a gear setup inside the chute to turn it, but where it exits the top whatever was there is missing. Again someone may be able to help out since I have never used this before. It came with the tractor when I inherited it.
Also the rest of the missing pieces might be available from fellow members. Let me know if you are still interested

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Well, you're actually not that far from me I don't think... Is this for a Bolens tube frame or a different kind of tractor? You said the mounting bracket and U-Joint are missing? Is that all I would need to get it working? I might be interested in it for my Bolens 850 I'm working on... unless it won't fit mine?

Also, looking at the pics, how does the chute turn and angle? Is it all manual or can it be controlled remotely while riding on the tractor? Hard to tell from pics and I have no experience with these snowblowers...

This one is a newer snow- caster made in the early 70's, It will fit your 850
These were better designed than the yellow ones and throw the snow farther
The chute is controlled by a rod that can be turned from the drivers seat.

Here's a picture of mine to show you one hooked up to the tractor

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens hyd 005.JPG
  • bolens hyd 006.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#5 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:40 AM

I guess these were supposed to be red then? I was thinking maybe someone painted it as I was expecting it to be either white or yellow for some reason (IDK where Bolens got their wacky paint color ideas from sometimes...) As I said, I already have a couple of walk-behind snow blowers, but might be neat to have the snow caster for my 850 as well. Of course I don't have any tire chains or wheel weights for it, so that could hurt performance... even though both my Ariens and Snow-Bird do not have any chains on their tires either. (The Snow-Bird actually has hard rubber tires too.)

Does anyone have any parts for these things to make this one complete?

What are you looking to get for this too? Feel free to PM me and maybe we can work something out so you can get rid of it...

(Also, this is the single stage snow blower for Bolens tractors. Did Bolens make many 2-stage snow blowers or were there just other companies that made snow blower attachments that fit Bolens tractors or something? Just curious why they went with single stage designs instead of 2-stage. I always thought the 2-stages were better.)

Edited by MailmAn, July 10, 2012 - 10:44 AM.

• pharmer said thank you

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks a lot, Pharmer! Now I have another new toy to play around with. Hopefully I'll have enough time to get this working before we get any snow around here!

Of course, getting back home from your place was a lot tougher of a proposition than getting there! Evidently you can't get back on the pike at the same place I got off, so my GPS was going crazy taking me on some very treacherous hilly, curvy, mountian roads to get back. Ended up taking me twice as long to get home as it took me to get out there! It was crazy, but I finally made it home at like 2am. (Guess I should have printed off some better return directions before I left...)

Now I just need to track down the lift frame for the snowblower, a PTO shaft that will work with it, and the discharge chute crank so I can change the direction I'm throwing snow.

Edited by MailmAn, July 21, 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#7 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:43 AM

WOW! Sorry to hear about your riip back. GPS!? Yeah my GPS is made by Rand Mcnaley. It fits in my glove box.It's never wrong and battery life is superb.

Edited by pharmer, July 21, 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#8 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:55 AM

MailmAn. I sent you a PM on some weights for $75-OEM Bolens 50#
  • MailmAn said thank you

#9 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 11:57 AM

This is a perfect example of why I love and support this site!!!
  • MailmAn said thank you