#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,648 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Local shop that messes with older rigs still has a Troybilt tractor. I was thinking toro, but he says really the remains of Bolens. Feel that is true? Not sure model, but is bigger hp hydro and even power steering which sounds appealling. Looks like new in red clothes, asking $895. I can find out more about it and take a pix probly. Just wondering what the opinions were of such a rig and who IS making it? Probly MTD I bet. It is a larger tractor and I don't see any Troy-bilt forum here?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 04:28 PM

Its probably one of the late 80's early 90's Troy bilt/ Bolens GTX series

Does it look like this?

Attached Thumbnails

• gtx.jpg

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 04:58 PM

Sounds like a cool tractor. Price doesn't sound too bad if everything is in working order. Does it have a deck with it?

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:02 PM

garden-way / troy built bought bolens in the 80s i think and they kept them up to bolens standards its has a transmission similar to the first bolens h14xl (but yours has a eaton 11 and a hi/lo range) IMO they good quality for a newer product

Edited by 8tyman8, July 06, 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Bolens was still making quality machines up until around 1990

Here's a bit of information from an old document on the buy out.

"In 1988 the FMC Corporation came upon economic strife and the Bolens division and brand name was sold to the Gardenway Corporation of Troy, NY. From 1988 to 2000, Gardenway Inc. continued to manufacture some products using the old Bolens designs and tooling. Unfortunately it seems Gardenway Inc. did very little to develop or even maintain the greatest portion of the Bolens product line during this period. As a result, the old tooling and castings became obsolete and many of the older Bolens parts became unavailable due to this lack of development."

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:52 PM

It was about 2000 that TroyBilt sold to MTD.

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Those are a nice tractor built from 1994-2002 until MTD bought them out. It could be a GTX 16,18 or 20 all had power steering. The 16 used a briggs and the 18 and 20 used a kohler. The only thing bad on them are the electric clutc which is NLA but we have those new here.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,648 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 10:27 PM

Bolens 1000, Yes, that looks like it. Think the deck was on it, don't recall being black tho, but could be wrong. Nice looking design I think, might have to go back and look at it again.

#9 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:59 AM

"In 1988 the FMC Corporation came upon economic strife and the Bolens division and brand name was sold to the Gardenway Corporation of Troy, NY."

Shoot, I didn't know that Gardenway/Troy-Bilt was actually made in Troy, NY. That's just across the river from me! Of course, they're not there any longer as the name was sold out to MTD and who knows where the current "Troy-Bilt" products are being manufactured. I'm just wondering were the old Gardenway factories or offices were located in Troy and if they are still there and abandonded or something... Might be cool to check out sometime.

#10 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 03:35 PM

that tractor is the same as my GT2000 duratrac just in troybuilt color and decal's if you buy it don't expect the m20qs kohler to last very long the one i have was a very well taken care of unit that was used to mow the grass at a guys camp he used it twice a month during the summer and parked all winter and at just over 500 hrs and after its spring service for the year grenaded with no warning , he told the mower man that he was not even mowing when it went so i got it for a $100 and am looking for a v twin to put in it :D

#11 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 09:05 PM

I've got a '93 GTX-18 that I use as my main mower. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Cuts nice even at higher speeds.
It's got 400something hours on it currently and unfortunately, one of BHTS's pto clutches. :( I also just recently had fuel pump troubles and replaced it with an electric one. But I figure it's almost 20 years old, it's allowed....

I was someone who would've laughed at GTs with power steering but now I'm hooked. :blush2:

Edited by Canawler, July 10, 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#12 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Shoot, I didn't know that Gardenway/Troy-Bilt was actually made in Troy, NY. That's just across the river from me! Of course, they're not there any longer as the name was sold out to MTD and who knows where the current "Troy-Bilt" products are being manufactured. I'm just wondering were the old Gardenway factories or offices were located in Troy and if they are still there and abandonded or something... Might be cool to check out sometime.

I was a little tike in 1978 when I went up to Troy with my dad to buy an 8hp "Horse" tiller from the factory. I just asked my dad, and he said they were located at the corner of 102nd St. and 7th Ave. 34 years later both of us are still using that tiller in our gardens (see an example of a restored one here). I also have an early 90's 12hp Tomahawk Pro chipper which is an equally impressive machine (although I had to repower it when the Tecumseh threw a rod). Anything they made prior to the MTD days were solid machines.

Edited by Enginerd, July 12, 2012 - 10:13 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 08:45 AM

I was a little tike in 1978 when I went up to Troy with my dad to buy an 8hp "Horse" tiller from the factory... 34 years later both of us are still using that tiller in our gardens.

Yes, my dad actually has that same exact tiller that he uses every year in his garden! I'm not sure what year his actually is (if it's late 1970's or early 1980's), but it looks identical to the one in the video. Of course, his isn't "restored" but just in very good 100% original condition. He has always kept it stored inside his barn when he's not using it and honestly it is probably in better shape than most un-restored tillers from that era. Still runs strong too on the original engine (of course his is an 8HP Briggs, not a Techumseh). His only problem is it is getting hard to find belts and tines for it. The local small-engine repair shop (Para-Deys Tools Small Engine Repairs) finally went out of business (the guy who ran it finally retired after like 45-50 years in business!!) and he was the only place locally where my dad could always get parts for his old Troy-Bilt tiller! Now he has to have my brother or I try to track down parts online for him or he has to call 100 different places to see if anyone has any lying around or if they can even special-order the parts from MTD or some other company.... Too sad... Love to see these old American-made, built to last machines keep going!

#14 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 03:12 PM

i've got an 85 with a kohler, clean the carb every spring and run all summer cultivating twice a month no let downs yet . the duratrac series was a good line extra heavy frame power everything hi/lo hydro with cruise control and can be fitted with a front loader and there are plans out there somewhere for a backhoe that ran off the pto but i don't remember where i saw it. so if cheap heck ya ! :smilewink:
ps i still don't like the m20qs motor but i looked around on mine and with a new motor i should get another 20yrs out of it

Edited by bolex, July 14, 2012 - 03:15 PM.