Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Panzer Steering Modification Photos. It Crude, But It Works!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:05 PM

...The blocks are on long bolts through the grill. If the cable stretches or slips in the clamps, loosen the nut, draw the bolt through the grill more and tighten the nuts again. You have both sides to adjust tension with so it's actually not that bad of an idea...

You could also solve the cable stretch in the loops issue by using a cable thimble designed for that size cable. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

thimble.jpg

I believe that you can pick one of these up at TSC or your local industrial supply house if TSC's aren't big enough.
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 11:17 PM

Yes. The steering wheel on this one is pretty much perpindicular to the ground. Hey, do you want it to be comfortable, or fit your engine? It's really not that noticeable. I drove it around while another Panzer pulled it.

You could add a universal joint as a future project. Go to full tilt steering if you're feeling crazy. I added a universal, but just kept one solid angle.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#18 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 12:02 AM

This is how I got it. I did not do any of the modifications. There is definitely a lot of room for improvements, but the design does work as is. The cable loops are a good idea, but it was all about being cost effective with the guy. You would have to spread them to feed them and the cable through the chain link.It was lying around, so he used it and made it work.

Now that you mention U-joits, I have another one that has a steering shaft with them in it to allow for another larger engine. I got it and the entire front end was swapped out. It was one of the first ones I had bought and I took a grinder to the welds and put the original front end under it, only to find out why the modifications were done. Hind sight....!

I've been accused of having a collection disorder.

Oh well, he who dies with the most toys wins!

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 05:18 AM

You could add a universal joint as a future project. Go to full tilt steering if you're feeling crazy. I added a universal, but just kept one solid angle.

Why not power steering - That would give you a completely different layout for the steering!