Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Well, now that mom is taken care (at least for a little while), I can now get back to my tractor and taking care of some of it's issues.

The PO had a flat wooden tray bolted to the hood--not sure what he used it for, but he drilled a 1/2 hole through the upper grill, and the main hood and used 1/2 bolts to hold it on...

Anyway, the upper grill, which is fiberglass, is cracked in a couple of places including the hinge points where the bolts go through to hold it to the lower grill.

My mom's GT18 has an aluminum upper grill, so I'm not sure why they went to the fiberglass other than cost savings--certainly isn't as durable

Has anyone had experience repairing these grills? I've looked on eBay and elsewhere and they're $200 or so, which is what I paid for the tractor with rear blade.
My other option is to fabricate a new upper grill--it won't look the same as the original but at least I'd have something to hold the hood on, and could mount the lights back in..

Any ideas out there??

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 08:12 PM

I would think with a little fiberglass body filler, you could make a reputable repair if the area has some surface to work with.
Do you have a picture of the damage?

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm with Alan, I would try to repair it before I bought a replacement.

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:27 PM

I'm with Alan, I would try to repair it before I bought a replacement.

I could do the body filler thing, problem is, the crack by the hinge point flexes every time I raise the hood so it would break out again pretty quickly, wouldn't it????

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 01:37 AM

May have to do some backer with tin or something. Is there a "tweak" to the hinge mounts or ...?

Why the flexing other than the break?

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:24 AM

The hinge mounts aren't misaligned, etc., but when you open the hood, there is a huge lever up in the air that not only swings up an down, but from side to side... I'm not sure how to back it with tin, but I've got to either find an effective repair, or build another grill from steel... It's doable, but will be time-consuming.

U.S.

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:53 AM

Here's some pictures of the Grill. As you can see, the hinge point is chewed up from resting against the bottom grill when it's opened... notice several outright breaks and some cracks in the fiberglass.2012-07-06_11-12-59_480.jpg 2012-07-06_11-13-20_283.jpg

#8 superbsuburban OFFLINE  

superbsuburban
  • Member No: 9551
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 12:36 AM

i think there are guy wires that run down to the motor that support the hood,my 75 custom uses that upper grille,and it has wires that support the hood when open,best way to fix those is v out the cracks,fill them with fiberglass reinforced putty-not bondo-then back it up with sheetmetal as best you can,add some short screws. a shop made grille,done well,would be interesting...