9 replies to this topic

#1 SimplicitySwede OFFLINE  

SimplicitySwede

• Validating
  • Member No: 4073
  • 57 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:55 AM

Well I been asked to post a write up on this I guess this is a good spot for this being simplicity, I'd like more than Simplicity people too see this it might help them. I've seen this done to garden tractors and one LT but the steering was backwards on it. This tractor really started out as a homesteader 8. It was missing the grill piece and the hood was painted wrong and had the ever popular Allis Chalmer blue stickers that were never on a tractor from the factory. I started out by cutting the front end off the tractor. Then I I took the spindles off and cut on about half way where the spindle bends. I then welded that to the other spindle to make a pedistle like off a real tractor. I then cut the top half of the spindle that has a notch for the steering half moon key to go thru. I welded that piece to the top of the pedistel. I then cut the 2 pipes that the spindles went thru off the front end and welded them together. There is a hole in the front of the frame that is off center and I cut the hole bigger and made it centered then. I put the pipe I welded thru the hole and welded it down. Stuck the pedestal through the pipe and put the steering arm on. Had to put another point in the linkage to Make it steer right. It doesn't turn extremely sharp but good enough. Oh almost forgot weld the center pivot if you do this. All of it's simplicity and AC parts excepts the steering linkage and front wheels are snapper. I'm in Wisconsin now working for my bro in law so I haven't been home to work on it. I gotta get an engine. I got a lead for an 14 horse Kawasaki and a 14 horse Briggs. I'm hoping the Kawasaki will fit but I gotta make sure my linkage don't hit the engine. The funny thing is I through this together and didn't have to cut any sheet metal. Now I just gotta get an engine to see if I can make it clean like it should be. Well enough of me talking can you say pics? http://s1172.photobu... Homesteader 8/

Edited by MH81, July 06, 2012 - 10:12 PM.
Added space

• middleageddeere and jwc3232 have said thanks

#2 SimplicitySwede OFFLINE  

SimplicitySwede

• Validating
  • 57 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:59 AM

I forgot to put a space between the link lol http://s1172.photobu... Homesteader 8/
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 12:05 PM

I love the sketch. Nice job on this.
  • SimplicitySwede said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 12:10 PM

It looks like it is coming along nicely! I like that you posted a pic showing how the steering mechanism works. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

#5 SimplicitySwede OFFLINE  

SimplicitySwede

• Validating
  • 57 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Funny thing is I couldn't draw it again to save my life lol. I can't draw at all that was a lucky one lol. Also. I was looking at a miller tire magazine. They make tri ribs for 4 inch rims! I might get some put I think I'll need to get some bolt together 4 inch rims to changer em easier.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for posting this here Jared,

Edited by Chuck_050382, July 05, 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#7 jwc3232 OFFLINE  

jwc3232
  • Member No: 10402
  • 42 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 05:42 PM

looks great ive always whanted to build a narrow front case this will go in my files to come back to thanks jim

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:27 PM

Looks to be coming along very nicely. Do you have a lead on bolt-together 4" rims? I think that some of the early "Kiddie" or Mini 4-wheelers used them. Memory serves, the ones I saw were semi-pneumatic or neverflat tires tho.

#9 SimplicitySwede OFFLINE  

SimplicitySwede

• Validating
  • 57 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:38 PM

Looks to be coming along very nicely. Do you have a lead on bolt-together 4" rims? I think that some of the early "Kiddie" or Mini 4-wheelers used them. Memory serves, the ones I saw were semi-pneumatic or neverflat tires tho.

. I see em at some home supply stores but there too high. We got a junk wagon at home that has em on it. I think I'll use them is I buy tri ribs. Hopefully it's wide enough

#10 SimplicitySwede OFFLINE  

SimplicitySwede

• Validating
  • 57 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:12 PM

Well I picked up a LX172 Deere for the Kawasaki and a Yard Machine with a 14.5 Briggs for this. I wanted to use the Kawasaki which is a 14 horse. I have a junk grill i was gonna cut up and use with the Kawasaki because the engine is too long. I got the engine bolted down and started putting the wiring harness in and had troubles. so i changed my mind on the Kawasaki soi dont have to cut the sheet metal. I guess I could try the Briggs but prolly the same problem. heres some pics of my work that i changed my mind on lol http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/SimplicitySwede/Toys/1972%20Allis%20Chalmers%20Homesteader%208/