Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wisconsin?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Not sure what this engine is...
http://annarbor.crai...3118106726.html

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Not an expert between all the models, but either a THD, TFD, or TJD I'd say.

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Can't firgure out what the hose is on the top...? Is it water cooled?

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:47 AM

Not sure why, but they took the screened dome cap off the air filter housing & stuck a piece of radiator hose on it. Air cooled.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:49 AM

This one is manual crank only, and likely magneto ignition. The mag will be on the far side. Some had battery powered ignition, but most were mag.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:49 AM

I was wondering about the hose also, It could be water cooled. It is deffinetly a wisconson though.

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:55 AM

The more I looked at it the more I thought the hose was the air intake...strange...

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:56 AM

The canister the hose is on is the air filter canister. No idea why they added the hose.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:08 AM

That was probably used in an industrial applicaton of some kind. We used to have a wisconsin powered Tennant Sweeper I ran in the factory on LP.
Since the sweeper generated so much dust it had a second cartridge airfilter mounted on the rear deck ahead of the LP tank with a hose linking to it..

Odd thing about that sweeper was you had to let it idle for a while after cold start. If you reved it up cold it would blow hydralic oil out around the filter seal. once warmed up for a few minutes it was no problem.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 05, 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:10 AM

That was probably used in an industrial applicaton of some kind. We used to have a wisconsin powered Tennant Sweeper I ran in the factory on LP.
Since the sweeper generated so much dust it had a second cartridge airfilter mounted on the rear deck ahead of the LP tank with a hose linking to it..

Yeah, I got to thinking that it may have been connected to one of those cyclone action "pre-cleaners" or similar.

#11 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Duh, it's a blue engine.

But, really, it doesn't look bad except for the missing plug wires.

#12 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Something about the tinwork says TE or TF to me. Can't really say why however.

The engine is air cooled and that hose is connected to the air cleaner. The missing plug wires would be a concern, good chance the mag is gone as well. Depending on if it's stuck or not it still may be worth the money.

Mike

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Something about the tinwork says TE or TF to me. Can't really say why however.

The engine is air cooled and that hose is connected to the air cleaner. The missing plug wires would be a concern, good chance the mag is gone as well. Depending on if it's stuck or not it still may be worth the money.

Mike

You may be right, as I'm not familiar with those models. I do believe they were set up with air filters like this one is. All the ones with 3 letter model designations I've seen had different filter types.

#14 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 07:43 PM

You may be right, as I'm not familiar with those models. I do believe they were set up with air filters like this one is. All the ones with 3 letter model designations I've seen had different filter types.

I like Wisconsin engines but am not an expert by any means. I went out and looked in the shop. There are five THD's, a TF and two TJD's out there. The "D" suffix indicates a Stellite exhaust valve and, usually. a valve rotator. None of these engines have a hose coming from the top of the air cleaner like that. Three of them have the air cleaner mounted in that location. One of them, mounted on a generator, has an air cleaner that has a hose over 18" long leading from the carb to it. The air cleaner shown is probably an oil bath type and was quite typical on these engines. Both the TE and TF were obsoleted when the THD's came out in 1957. None of the engines I have have the tinwork shown on the engine in the picture. The shown engine's tinwork appears to have smoother bends and angles, if that makes sense, while those I have are just a bit more angular in appearance.

I'm wondering if this is one of the early production engines from the 40's? It would be interesting to get the information from the data plate on the engine to find out when it was made and what model it really is.

Makes me curious. Perhaps someone will post up that knows more about this.

Mike

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 02:35 PM

If I could interject, the OP didn't say if he was interested in buying this. I'm wondering why the seller didn't take a photo showing the 'busy' side of the engine. Does it even have a carb, magneto, fuel pump, etc?

On another note, I went to the CL site. The seller has another Wisconson that is pretty interesting to look at. It's a large single cylinder.