33 replies to this topic

#31 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • Member No: 10411
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Now I can see it, that makes sense.

What kind of switch are you using, Any links to the spec sheet on it?

No real specs on the switch, I bought it off ebay from china a while back.  Don't know the amp rating on it off the top of my head, but it is an SPDT lever action switch.  I had to bend the lever a bit and crimp it to make it shorter and stronger.  The spring was added to keep the lever from flopping around and interfering with shifting.

• MH81 said thank you

#32 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 04:46 PM

No real specs on the switch, I bought it off ebay from china a while back.  Don't know the amp rating on it off the top of my head, but it is an SPDT lever action switch.  I had to bend the lever a bit and crimp it to make it shorter and stronger.  The spring was added to keep the lever from flopping around and interfering with shifting.

I just realized what switch you were actually referring to.  I initially thought you were talking about the reverse light switch.  The switch that controls the plow winch is a DPDT momentary toggle switch.  It is wired to a winch contactor I bought from ebay to replace the flimsy Harbor Freight winch remote.  I will draw up and post a schematic for everyone shortly.

#33 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 07:03 PM

With the plow straight and raised fully, I can get ~ 15" of lift between the edge and the ground. Definitely don't need that much, but it should come in handy when the plow is angled! thThumbsUp.gif

130610_001_zpsc98b42ab.jpg

TAHOE had asked me about the lever setup on another forum, so here is my best attempt to explain it so far:

Unfortunately the switch/lever setup was another spur of the moment creation. This tends to happen quite a bit and as a result I forget to document as I go along. I really should work on my documentation skills fing20.gif

The lever setup was built with a piece of scrap 1x1 1/8" thick angle iron as the base. A 1/2" hole was drilled to accommodate the switch. I found a screen door closer mount (don't know the proper term) and after some cutting with a cutoff wheel, welded it in the middle. The holes in it were the perfect size for holding the linkage rod that goes between the lever and the switch.

I made the linkage rod from a 5 gallon pail handle. It is a bit thicker than coat hanger wire, and as a result, was a pain to shape without a torch.

The lever is just a piece of bent rod, maybe 1/4" or 5/16" round rod. It was a scrap piece. I found a length of fuel line that fit over it well. To put the ball on for the handle, I cut a a threaded portion off of a 3/8" bolt, and drilled a hole in it that fit the lever. The hole was filled with JB Weld, and the threaded portion slipped over the rod. At the bottom of the lever, a nut was cut in half and a hole was drilled to allow the rod to pass through. JB Weld was once again used to secure the partial nut to the rod. This partial nut allows the lever to sit on the hinge without allowing the lever to move side to side. I will post an illustration later that will make it much easier to understand fing32.gif.

The hinge was a piece of 3/8" rod, and it also had a hole bored through it to allow the lever to pass through. On the left side of the assembly, the hinge rod was ground flat. A spring was shaped around this end so that it "hugged" the rod. Pivoting the rod back and forth causes the spring to be bent - this is what makes the lever return to center when let go of.

I will try and get some better pictures to show you what I mean. Not very good at explaining things. 12.gif

Edited by dmorrill22, June 10, 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#34 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Got around to making that schematic.  Hope it makes sense!

The small red wire from the winch contactor is a power wire for the up/down switch.  I just made a terminal that let me hook the wire up to the positive battery terminal on the contactor, which is where the switch gets power from.

WinchSchematic_zpsff409ff1.jpg